Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 04:42:38 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  My review of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly...
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My review of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly...  (Read 1741 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2017, 06:53:24 PM »

Along the way, Blondie and Tuco go to Le Marais for Sunday brunch; visit The Woman in Gold at Lauder's gallery; see a few Hoppers at MoMA and The Met; then catch Beethoven symphonies at Lincoln Center before topping it all off with a Super Bowl party that evening. Oh, I forgot about the knockwurst and sauerkraut at the Nazi bar.

We could make it at least 410 minutes  Evil
What the . . . ? How are Blondie and Tuco supposed to get to NYC? Let's not be ridiculous here!

First thing we need to do is start drafting the extra scenes. Probably should start by reconstructing Socorro. CJ, is this covered in the novelization?

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2017, 02:35:21 AM »

But the "Italian version as released in Italy on DVD and Blu" that you refer to is NOT the original Italian theatrical version as we've discovered from Italian 35mm elements (circa 1966) that have surfaced over the past couple years. This revelation was unveiled in another thread last year.

Of course, but there's not much of a difference, and at the moment it's the only one available. And it was a basic information which did not need to go too much into the details.
And I think we can agree anyway that the Stanton cut is the one which should replace anything else.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2017, 03:39:10 AM »

What the . . . ? How are Blondie and Tuco supposed to get to NYC? Let's not be ridiculous here!

First thing we need to do is start drafting the extra scenes. Probably should start by reconstructing Socorro. CJ, is this covered in the novelization?

don't think so....

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2017, 08:36:59 PM »

Of course, but there's not much of a difference, and at the moment it's the only one available. And it was a basic information which did not need to go too much into the details.

Understood, and I agree with you. There are no major differences in terms of full scenes being deleted for the Italian home release version. However, the original theatrical version included the full Tuco torture scene, not the abbreviated version as found on all home releases in Italy. Also, we know the desert scene was longer in that it included the "skeleton shot".

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2017, 08:43:39 PM »

Moorman, firstly, I suggest that you watch the long version (on the MGM Special Edition DVD, or any BRD).

Afterward, if you want, you can read our discussion here (and elsewhere) of the various added scenes http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=11287.0

But I would suggest that you just watch the long version and form your own opinion, before reading anyone else's opinion  Smiley

Enjoy!

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2017, 04:05:50 AM »

Understood, and I agree with you. There are no major differences in terms of full scenes being deleted for the Italian home release version. However, the original theatrical version included the full Tuco torture scene, not the abbreviated version as found on all home releases in Italy. Also, we know the desert scene was longer in that it included the "skeleton shot".

I think at the moment I still prefer the shorter Torture scene.

My preferred version is still:
Italian Blu version, minus Eastwood and LvC Nightcamp scene, minus Wallach asking for way to the mission, plus short Sorry Tuco segment and shorter Torture scene (maybe the one from the English version).
That would be the perfect version for me, but of course it is a masterpiece in all available versions, but something like the shorter UK theatrical version puts damage to Leone's vision.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2017, 09:45:06 AM »

I think at the moment I still prefer the shorter Torture scene.

My preferred version is still:
minus
Anathema!

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM