Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 02:59:14 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  IMDb discontinuing its message boards
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: IMDb discontinuing its message boards  (Read 3124 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2017, 02:21:07 PM »

Just got this in the header over at IMDb

IMPORTANT: IMDb is the world's most popular and authoritative source for movie, TV and celebrity content. As part of our ongoing effort to continually evaluate and enhance the customer experience on IMDb, we have decided to disable IMDb's message boards on February 20, 2017. This includes the Private Message system. After in-depth discussion and examination, we have concluded that IMDb's message boards are no longer providing a positive, useful experience for the vast majority of our more than 250 million monthly users worldwide. The decision to retire a long-standing feature was made only after careful consideration and was based on data and traffic.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 03:17:35 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 02:30:59 PM »

Although there is a case to be said that some of the boards were useful in actual discussion (I haven't seen any but is the evidence of absence the absence of evidence?). From what I have seen, it always looked like a cesspool of people calling each other idiots.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 04:41:25 PM »

From what I have seen, it always looked like a cesspool of people calling each other idiots.

That's the new culture brought to us by the internet.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 06:21:10 PM »

Does anyone remember the troll JohnTexasBapster from the western boards? He would start every message with something like "Verily I say unto thee".

Those boards have been a mess for over a decade but there can be some useful information posted from there. CJ has quoted some good stuff over the years.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 06:48:35 PM »

I always found it incredible how IMDb took the place of what at least in terms of "American releases" should have been the domain of the AFI Catalog. I mean, how many people actually go to the AFI Catalog to get information on an American film before IMDb?

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 12:08:32 AM »

I think this is a weird decision. The most noticeable parts of the message boards are idiot trolls who's stupidity makes three stand out, but 80% of them are pretty legit comments and discussions from both normal movie goers and cinephiles.. And for popular films they are very active.

I never posted more than 10 times in over.l decade, but I often read posts after I watch a movie to hear other people's perspectives and learn interesting facts.

Not sure why they're getting rid of this. I won't really miss them, but I'm sure many will

« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 12:10:16 AM by PowerRR » Logged
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 06:10:23 AM »

I understand a lot of people like 'em, but I think from the 15 times altogether so far I searched for something on those boards, I found something useful maybe 2 times.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 04:50:55 AM »

We are going to get some new members from IMDb, I've invited some from the Western and Film Noir boards lets welcome them when they get approved.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 04:53:48 AM »

We are going to get some new members from IMDb, I've invited some from the Western and Film Noir boards lets welcome them when they get approved.

Afro

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 08:25:34 AM »

Good job  Afro

What about all the message boards that have been there until now? Will IMDB archive the stuff that is already there? Or will they delete it?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 09:00:41 AM »

I am one of the noir heads who got invited Smiley Thanks for having me!

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 11:11:08 AM »

Nice. I feel like forums have had their heyday so it's great that this one is still alive and now growing!

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 03:45:51 PM »

Welcome XhcnoirX cigar joe (mgtbltp from IMDb)

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2017, 03:47:20 AM »

Afro

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2017, 10:36:20 AM »

Welcome aboard newbies  Afro

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM