Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 05, 2021, 01:37:59 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  DJ and D&D Go to the Symphony
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
: DJ and D&D Go to the Symphony  ( 27848 )
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #105 : September 12, 2021, 11:40:13 AM »

Carnegie Hall is having a full cycle of Beethoven's symphonies with the Philadelphia Orchestra (making up for the series in 2020 that was canceled due to Covid).

You in, DJ?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #106 : October 07, 2021, 08:25:10 AM »

The symphony is back, babbbbbbyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

After 572 days in the dark, Carnegie Hall returned last night! Was great to be there. (Proof of vaccine required, as are masks. Of course, I just wore my mask on my chin, if at all.)

It was a very exciting night for Miss Baltimore: her first-ever symphony. (Yeah, I give my girls class  ;) )

https://www.carnegiehall.org/Calendar/2021/10/06/Carnegie-Halls-Opening-Night-Gala-The-Philadelphia-Orchestra-0700PM

The Philadelphia Orchestra, conducted by Yannick N?zet-S?guin, will be doing a full cycle of Beethoven's symphonies (they were scheduled to do so in 2020 as part of Beethoven's 250th anniversary celebration, before Covid shut things down.) Last night's opening night gala featured the Fifth Symphony.

Other pieces played last night:
VALERIE COLEMAN Seven O'Clock Shout, a piece honoring frontline workers
SHOSTAKOVICH Piano Concerto No. 2, with Yuja Wang
BERNSTEIN Overture to Candide, a nice little 5-minute piece
MAN HABIBI Jeder Baum spricht - a fucking bullshit piece about global warming. When everyone cheered, I booed.

--

The event was livestreamed, and the full event video is available here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c-cqmQueUo

« : October 07, 2021, 08:35:23 AM drinkanddestroy »

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #107 : October 07, 2021, 10:38:02 AM »

(Yeah, I give my girls class  ;) )
Uh huh. "Lipstick on a pig," and all that.
When everyone cheered, I booed.
Having attended live gigs with you, I know you're telling the truth.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #108 : October 07, 2021, 09:43:12 PM »

Forgot to mention: There was no intermission. I think they do that because of Covid, so people don?t mingle. (They also have a specific door entrance and entry time on each ticket so that people don?t all arrive together. Not sure how much that is enforced.) I had to piss after the first piece, while they were changing the instruments before the second. The usher told me, ?This is not an intermission. You can leave, but if the lights go down before you get back, you won?t be allowed in for this piece.? I ran down the two flights from the balcony to the third-floor bathroom and made it back.

I love the balcony at Carnegie Hall. It overhangs the lower tiers, I get seats dead-center, you can see the entire orchestra, unlike when you are on the floor.

Next show for me: October 20, Beethoven?s 4th Symphony and 6th Symphony (Pastorale).

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #109 : October 07, 2021, 09:55:21 PM »

Having attended live gigs with you, I know you're telling the truth.

Remember when we saw that awful play The Maids and afterward the idiot audience applauded? I booed louder than all the applause  ;D

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #110 : October 20, 2021, 11:39:01 AM »

(My favorite version of the "Pastoral" is with Michele Merrill conducting the Detroit Symphony Orchestra https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75OMvblyD-Q I like it cuz the first and third movements are fast, which I think is appropriate here.)

That link is no longer available on YouTube, but the show can be viewed on the DSO's website for free; you need to make a free account

https://livefromorchestrahall.vhx.tv/10-years-of-live-from-orchestra-hall-concerts-from-the-archives/videos/ludwig-van-beethoven-symphony-no-6-in-f-major-op-68-pastoral

I'm watching the Pastoral again now cuz I'm gearing up for the show tonight at Carnegie Hall (DJ ditching me yet again)

https://www.carnegiehall.org/Calendar/2021/10/20/The-Philadelphia-Orchestra-0800PM

« : October 20, 2021, 09:21:31 PM drinkanddestroy »

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #111 : October 20, 2021, 05:53:35 PM »

(DJ ditching me yet again)
Matinees, man! I can only do matinees.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #112 : October 22, 2021, 08:57:14 AM »

Bernard Haitink, renowned Dutch conductor, dies at 92

https://apnews.com/article/entertainment-music-europe-london-netherlands-499a2e7f880fc99bf3a208d1d0bee77f

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #113 : October 24, 2021, 07:38:20 PM »

I'm watching the Pastoral again now cuz I'm gearing up for the show tonight at Carnegie Hall (DJ ditching me yet again)

https://www.carnegiehall.org/Calendar/2021/10/20/The-Philadelphia-Orchestra-0800PM

So Matinee Dave ditched me again Wednesday night as expected; I instead went to Carnegie Hall with Miss Upper West Side (#JustAFriend).

Fucking Carnegie Hall makes you show proof of vaccination AND wear a mask. I did the former, I absolutely did not do the latter, to the chagrin of the lame-asses who sat near me. I took double the pleasure in making the losers squirm.

Also, due to Covid, there's no intermission. I think they don;'t want people congregating. Don't drink before the show. Cuz you ain't pissing till it's over.

We sat three rows from the front of the balcony, dead center. Lately I am really enjoying Carnegie Hall balcony (the very top level - Level #5). The balcony overhangs the other levels, so if you get one of the front rows of the balcony you actually are not that far back, and you can see the entire orchestra. When I always used to sit in the floor, I could never see the wind instruments. Only problem is there ain't much leg room in the balcony.

The program was Beethoven's 4th & 6th Symphonies with The Philadelphia Orchestra conducted by Yannick N?zet-S?guin continuing its program of  afull cycle of Beethoven's symphonies, in a belated 250th birthday (which was actually in 2020, postponed due to Covid).
The 4th isn't on any list of greatest symphonies, I always thought it was kind of jokey and was never much into it, but to tell the truth, it wasn't a terrible opener. I was able to enjoy it.

At the previous show, as I mentioned, Yannick had to play some piece about global fucking warming, supposedly inspired by Beethoven, and gave this speech about how we play Beethoven but we also gotta play the contemporaries with their social justice shit. The show last week was  (gasp!) only Beethoven, but Yannick had to take the microphone and speak apologetically about only playing Beethoven and assure us that he would in fact play other pieces at future Beethoven shows, and assure us that the Pastoral was in fact about social justice. I made my displeasure with his speech plainly known to everyone in my section. Now Miss Upper West Side was squirming.

Anyway, we finally got to the Pastoral, and it's one of the greatest versions I've ever heard. Particularly, I like the third movement played very quickly; and I think this was the quickest I'd heard it. It was an amazing performance.

Oh, I gotta mention something else about Yannick: He walks onto the stage with a mask. Takes it off for the show. Then puts it back on as he walks off the stage. Then comes back on for his standing ovation, and takes it back off. So I guess he can't catch Covid while on stage, but can catch it while walking off and standing backstage? Oh, and half the string section was wearing masks. Of course, we all know you can give someone Covid while playing the violin but not blowing the oboe.

Anyway, nevermind the he conducts in leggings, does weird shit with masks, and most infuriatingly has to turn Beethoven into some sort of social justice warrior. When he's actually just conducting the orchestra, he's actually terrific. Another great show!

Next up, November 9: Beethoven's 8th & 7th Symphonies (of course, with some contemporary piece sandwiched in middle. (We already had the global warming piece, so I guess this is probably about transphobia or affirmative action or why everyone should wear masks for the rest of their lives.)

DJ and I once went to the 7th & 8th a few years ago in Lincoln Center. Like most people, DJ prefers the 7th. It's really famous and popular. The 8th is Beethoven's shortest symphony and not nearly as famous. I am in the minority: I'm actually going because of the 8th. I really like it. I have little use for the 7th.

So what'll it be, Matinee Dave? You in for a night show this time or out again?

: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines