Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 11:28:15 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  And God Said to Cain aka E Dio disse a Caino (1970)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: And God Said to Cain aka E Dio disse a Caino (1970)  (Read 19358 times)
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2007, 06:58:10 AM »

Arizona Colt's  review:-

AND GOD SAID TO CAIN-Nifty little italian oater is unique in several ways. Kinski is a heroic and somewhat noble figure here as I've never seen him play a character like this before. He's pardoned for a crime he did not commit and goes back to the town to even the score with the many individuals who had him put away for 10 years. It's also unique in that nearly the entire movie takes place during a tornado storm which also is symbolic of Kinskis return to the town to settle scores. The villain of the story even refers to Kinskis character as a storm coming to town. Margheriti is in fine form here as opposed to the lackluster VENGEANCE and even adds an air of horror to the proceedings this time out as several characters meet gruesome demises and Margheriti also pulls off some nice shots as well as some good suspense scenes. The only drawback to an otherwise great 95 minutes is that some of the stalking scenes go on a bit too long although it is quite ingenious how Kinski appears and disappears thru trapdoors and caves to pick the men off with ease.

Rojo Ramone
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2007, 11:35:12 AM »

I watched this last night thanks to the Franco Cleef DVD-r from Xploited.
I loved the film. I'm a huge Gothic horror fan so naturally i like Margheriti's CASTLE OF BLOOD, WEB OF THE SPIDER and LONG HAIR OF DEATH, and this movie is no exception.
 Although, anyone looking for an original plot will be disappointed~heck there's not much of a plot at all.

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2010, 12:47:43 PM »

I watched this last night thanks to the Franco Cleef DVD-r from Xploited.
I loved the film. I'm a huge Gothic horror fan so naturally i like Margheriti's CASTLE OF BLOOD, WEB OF THE SPIDER and LONG HAIR OF DEATH, and this movie is no exception.
 Although, anyone looking for an original plot will be disappointed~heck there's not much of a plot at all.

You are right, not much of a plot at all. It's just a revenge tale that goes on for about 100 minutes and is filled with suspense (quasi horror) scenes. Something a bit different than usual, but I think it is worth watching Kinski's performance.

6/10

Spikeopath
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2017, 03:30:15 PM »

For whom the bell tolls.

And God said to Cain (E Dio Disse a Caino) is directed by Antonio Margheriti, who also co-writes the screenplay with Giovanni Addessi. It stars Klaus Kinski, Peter Carsten, Marcella Michelangeli, Guido Lollobrigida and Antonio Cantafora. Music is by Carlo Savina and cinematography by Riccardo Pallottini and Luciano Trasatti.

When Gary Hamilton (Kinski) receives a pardon from his sentence at a prison work camp, he has only one thing on his mind; revenge on those responsible for his unfair incarceration.

A ghost returns and he'll have, he'll have only one desire in his heart, only one thirst: Revenge.

How wonderful, a Spaghetti Western/horror hybrid with scary Kinski as an avenging angel good guy! For the first 30 minutes the film looks to be building up a head of steam for a standardised Spaghetti Western, but things shift once Hamilton approaches town and night begins to fall. From here the film plays out as a Gothic horror involving Western characters, resplendent with big creepy mansion set in a shifty looking town that is cloaked in murky moonlight.

The whole town teeters on the edge of panic as they know who is coming to visit on this dark night. Atmosphere is tightly coiled as things move in the shadows, windows blow open, strange sounds emanate on the impending storm, and the stench of death is everywhere. A bell tolls ominously, birds flee the vicinity, all while Hamilton moves about the town with deadly silence, even using a network of catacombs under the town that were left over from an aged Indian cemetery.

The production value isn't high, but Margheriti maximises what is at his disposal to great ends. The sound effects work is simply terrific, with the shrill of the birds and the dripping water in the caverns playing a tune being particularly striking. There's inventive deaths, sublime scenes (love that rider less horse sequence and the Orson Welles mirror homage) and Kinski being ace as a ghoulish phantom taking a string from the bow of the Count of Monte Cristo.

It's also great to find that Margheriti and Addessi give strength to the picture by way of psychological smarts within the characterisations. This is not merely a spooky revenge story, a chance to pile the bodies up, there is substance to the main players, their motives and means, their frailties and family fractures brutally laid bare. The dialogue is sometimes naff, the cliché's of Spaghetti Westerns rife, and of course not all the visual effects work like they should, but this is one moody and memorable movie that is well worth seeking out if you can see a decent enough print of it. 8/10

Out you get Hooky, you done your bit.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM