Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 05:08:40 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  100 Rifles (1969)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 100 Rifles (1969)  (Read 18094 times)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2006, 09:24:41 PM »

SPOILER!

Spoiler

Yea but that was a very Spaghetti Touch, no?

Yeah if your name is "The Great Silence". Not many happy go lucky spags killed a main character off. This to me was "happy go lucky" (not through out but most of it).

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2006, 09:47:53 PM »

I've just recently upped my opinion of it after watching the DVD, if all you've seen is AMC's Pan & Scan presentation, it makes a diff.

Its like we have all these second tier stars the B list if you will and the film came out remarkably well, with a good score to boot. I've also thought of RW as eye candy before but here she is actually one of the leads and has some good scenes.

Of course,

Spoilers:

You know that the scene where she helps her father die would have been handles a lot better in a real SW (perhaps with a very audible CRAAAAK!, lol and a big jerk to both bodies) , but I really didn't get the significance of it watching the P&S version on AMC (it could even have been cut or the P&S may have obscured it somewhat) , but I really picked up on it with the DVD and it seemed the whole film improved in widescreen.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 09:50:07 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2006, 10:24:19 PM »

but I really picked up on it with the DVD and it seemed the whole film improved in widescreen.

Saw it on Encore westerns about 6 months ago. I dont remember the scene of when RW's father dies. Sorry.

I dont feel the need to own it really.

I missed a view of "Shalako" that same night. It was going to come on after 100 rifles but it was 2 AM and I was dead tired.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 10:25:56 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2008, 08:08:23 PM »

I have only seen the pan and scan version, but I don't think the movie is good enough to buy the DVD. Maybe with a bit of luck they will pass the widescreen version in TCM and I will be able to record it.  Evil

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2008, 01:29:11 PM »

You can probably pick up a used copy of Amazon pretty reasonable.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2009, 06:41:44 PM »

This Spaghetti-Zapata-Blaxploitation crossbreed is a queer one. There's the SW feel, the ZW plot, the BP (anti)hero and the American actors, but all together it doesn't turn to be compact nor entertaining enough to hold my interest till the end. It's like one of those Ws you watch just so you can say to someone that you've actually watched them, you know, like here. A couple of good lines and one dressed Raquel Welch taking a shower in the middle of the desert aren't enough for me.

4/10

« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 09:48:39 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2009, 11:02:39 PM »

I pretty much agree, tuco, but I'd bump it to a 6 because of Welch's sexiness.  It's essentially the same reason why I can happily sit through Bandolero.

I only saw this once a few years ago but I remember thinking the final shootout was entertaining enough, nothing special.

************SPOILER***********

and I agree with FC about Welch's characters death, it was a fun movie for the most part.

and the scene in which he lines up the men and shoots them to see how far the bullet will travel is pretty rad. I forgot about that until I saw it mentioned in this thread.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2009, 02:18:46 AM »

and the scene in which he lines up the men and shoots them to see how far the bullet will travel is pretty rad. I forgot about that until I saw it mentioned in this thread.

Ain't that scene from Villa Rides and not from 100 Rifles?

For me 100 Rifles is a pretty good film. Astonishingly good directed and with no SW feel. Quite different from all the Revolution SWs.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2009, 01:58:09 PM »

I pretty much agree, tuco, but I'd bump it to a 6 because of Welch's sexiness.  It's essentially the same reason why I can happily sit through Bandolero.

Well, between men, I understand exactly what you're talking about, but the woman can't act jack, you have to admit it.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2009, 02:11:27 PM »

Well, between men, I understand exactly what you're talking about, but the woman can't act jack, you have to admit it.

I plead the fifth.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2009, 02:17:07 PM »

Hah, I rest my case. Cool

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2009, 02:17:44 PM »

I've seen at least parts of this movie, but I don't recall having ever sat through the whole thing.

Saturday nights with Groggy
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2009, 02:21:46 PM »

Welch is a rotten actress, there's no denying that. Her monologues in Bandolero are hilarious (the writing doesn't help). paraphrasing: "This is the first time I have been back to this town since I left". No shit, Raquel, we, the audience, witnessed your exit and return to your hometown.

Ain't that scene from Villa Rides and not from 100 Rifles?

I haven't seen VR but I vividly remember seeing that sequence, so I would assume it was included in 100 Rifles, unless it was included in another SW. I haven't 100 Rifles in about 3 years, so my memory isn't exactly fresh.

any help?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2009, 02:39:03 PM »

At least she's reasonably hot. That redeems a lot.

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2009, 07:22:38 PM »

Villa Rides has the bullet sequence for sure, don't remember if 100 Rifles has it also.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM