Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2017, 05:14:01 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  100 Rifles (1969)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 100 Rifles (1969)  (Read 18158 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2004, 08:40:06 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063970/

Saw  the very end (last 1/2 hour) of this film Satuday on AMC not too bad actually, Jim Brown, Burt Reynolds, Raquel Welch, Frenando Lamas, and Aldo Sambrel with a great town set in very familiar territory. Also looks like the same railway used in GBU and OUTITW. Catch the whole thing if you can.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 09:49:44 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 04:32:06 PM »

AMC is going to show Almeria western 100 Rifles with Jim Brown, Burt Reynolds, Raquel Welch, Frenando Lamas, Eric Braden and our SW staple Aldo Sambrel. Its got a great train wreck anong other things, lol.

Set your VCR or DVDr''s then we can discuss it here.

Jan 8th 5AM Eastern Standard Time
Jan 29th 8:30AM EST

« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 09:35:00 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 08:07:29 PM »

Set your recorders and we can discuss this western tomorrow.

Tomorrow morning AMC 5:00AM EST.
Almeria western Jim Brown, Bert Reynolds, Raquel Welch, Freando Lamas, Aldo Sambrel. Great Train wreck and Raquel''s shower scene.

Also repeated Jan 29 8:30 AM EST

KERMIT
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2005, 03:42:47 AM »

hot ticket joe/ thanks

raquel welch  flaunting it around but,  one bad bitch w/ a rifle.  jim brown puts on some serious gropings followed by raquel''''s ardent moans.  Roll Eyes
lots of good one liners between jim brown and burt, pre-wigged.
 would this be classified a zapata movie ?  the yaqui indians put up a fierce battle.  fistful of dynamite-esque w/ a touch of peckinpaw.  spaghetti  or chop suey

hombre follows

« Last Edit: January 08, 2005, 10:49:51 AM by KERMIT » Logged
Tim
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005, 06:19:32 PM »

100 Rifles is one of those movies that definitely deserves to be released on DVD in widescreen. 

Aldo sure meets a bloody end in this one, kinda like "he" gave to Slim in For A Few Dollars More.

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 09:05:24 PM »

I just watched it...cj...on Fox Movie Channel. You know...I ended up liking it..it was OK. Great familiar scenery...especially when the group enters the town to which they were bringing the rifles........I said to myself.."Hey..I know that street"!!  Cheesy
It could have been a much better movie w/ some different casting decisions. Raquel Welch gave what I consider among the worst performances by a man, woman, child, or animal I've ever seen..it was painful to watch........& Jim Brown is just not an actor.
Replace those two...and it's a good enough story...w/ good enough action to be a better & more fun movie.
But I'd still recommend it as a decent Western.

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
Tim
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 10:05:54 PM »

I'll agree that Jim Brown is not a great actor.  Much like John Wayne, Brown is more of a presence than an actor.  He's good in 100 Rifles alongside Burt Reynolds, they make a good duo, and his presence is very strong in Dirty Dozen as Jefferson.

100 Rifles may not be the best western, quasi-spaghetti or however you want to classify it, but it is a lot of fun.  Brown, Reynolds, and Raquel are all pretty good and it would be great to see a widescreen dvd release.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2006, 05:06:04 PM »

it would be great to see a widescreen dvd release.

Well folks we got our wish its out on DVD now released by 20th Century Fox .

So today after a buying & recording spree over the last two days I watched my 4th Western this morning popping "100 Rifles" into the player. This time it wasn't the pan & scan AMC commercial interrupted version I saw over a year ago.

This was well directed by Tom Gries a veteran TV director (Route 66, Combat, Rat Patrol, Man From Uncle) who's previous Western was "Will Penny".

This is a "no-pata" Western, sort of like a Zapata with no politics much like "The Wild Bunch" which fits this category.

The cast has Jim Brown, Burt Reynolds, Raquel Welch, Frenando Lamas, Eric Braeden, Aldo Sambrel, and a lot of SW extras that you will recognize. Shot in beautiful Almeria, the release is in  uncut widescreen.

The story opens with the hanging of Sarita's (Welches) father by the Federales. Officer Verdugo (Lamas) is a bloodthursty bastard, and he purposly pulls the horse out from Sarita's father so sloooowly so he's strangled rather tham has his neck broke. Sarita runs up and jumps upon her father using her weight to kill him quickly, its a powerful scene.

Sarita now becomes a Soldada, a Yaqui leader.

Jim Brown ex NFL football star isn't all that bad in this and he is believable as Arizona policeman Lyedecker on the trail of Yaqui Joe a Half Breed cross of a Yaqui Indian-Alabama Good-ol'-boy father (Burt Reynolds) who has robbed 6,000 dollars from an Arizona bank. With which he purchased the 100 rifles of the title for Sarita and The Yaquis.

This film does have some great action set pieces the escape of Yaqui Joe & Lyedecker out of the train and through the town shows off Reynolds stuntman abilities and Brown's athleticism.

There is a great bout of horsemanship as the group of Yaquis decend down an unbelievably steep ramblas, its really pretty exciting seeing the horses negotiate that decent.

All the action sequences are good, no complaints, especially Raquel's shower sequence (more like a wet "T" shirt shower) where she stops a troop train by a water tower, watch the spider holes, lol.

The train wreck at the end is also done well.

I'm thinking now that these American or British financed Euro shot Zapatas & "nopatas" are some of the best clones of the general SW trends in Westerns that influenced the genre after Leone's successes. They never  reached the heights that Leone did with "gunfight" based Westerns (like FAFDM or GBU) but with "Villa Rides" a Zapata and this film they very good jobs of cloning the Italian directors, the only missing elements are the innovative camera angles and the picaresque characters.

I could be the Almeria locations have something to do with it too, Clints AW's could have used a few alumni from Spain, or at the very least it would have been nice to see him shoot a film in Almeria.

I also thought "Chato's Land" was very good in its chase/manhunt sub genre while The Hunting Party was good but had a few minor flaws.

On the other hand Welches Hannie Caulder is lame in comparison and it has Almeria locations.  Huh

100 Rifles even has a decent score, its not at Morricone's level but its good enough.

Another couple of interesting angles is the emergence of Welch as a strong believeable protagonist in this film, and also the interracial sexual affair between Brown & Welch. Cinematically speaking I don't quite know if after "The Great Silence" breaking this particular taboo if this was the next instance of interacial love or not.

This is one of Jim Browns best performances in a Western that I've seen so far, though I've not seen them all , and haven't seen El Condor since seeing it in a theater years ago so that claim may change.

Its worth finding and buying for your collection

« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 09:40:42 PM by cigar joe » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 11:36:02 AM »

One more thing I forgot to mention the train in 100 rifles is the same Prussian looking locomotive that was used in "A Bullet Fot The General" except this time it was "dressed" with an American cowcatcher, it was believable enough.

Tim
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006, 01:06:58 PM »

I bought the dvd earlier this summer after it was released.  It's pretty cheap, and has the widescreen presentation, a trailer, and a pretty extensive photo gallery.

100 Rifles even has a decent score, its not at Morricone's level but its good enough.

It was good enough for two movies!  The Last Hard Men, starring Charlton Heston and James Coburn in a great part as a super-evil villain, used Jerry Goldsmith's 100 Rifles score.  It fits a lot better with 100 Rifles.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2006, 08:51:02 PM »

It was good enough for two movies!  The Last Hard Men, starring Charlton Heston and James Coburn in a great part as a super-evil villain, used Jerry Goldsmith's 100 Rifles score.  It fits a lot better with 100 Rifles

Interesting didn't know that.

Tim
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 08:36:36 AM »

Have you seen The Last Hard Men, cigar?  It's occasionally on AMC, heavily-edited of course, but it's still worth a watch.  Like many movies from the 70s, there are some darker themes, obvious influences of the decade and also spaghettis.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2006, 12:17:43 PM »

Yea I did see it but didn't make the connection

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2006, 06:13:16 PM »

This film is okay at best.
It is mostly an american western trying to be a spaghetti but failing miserably (Think "The Professionals" and you have an idea).

Jim Brown is okay as the hero, Reynolds plays second fiddle and Welch is eye candy (thankfully that's all you need from her).

The villian is forgettable except for one scene where he lines indians up in a straight line and fires a pistol through their chest's to see how far the bullet will go through.

The best scene is easily Welch showering in the middle of the desert just before a big gunfight ensues.

SPOILER

Did'nt think Welch should have died at the end...seemed too out of place with the happy go lucky feel of the film.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2006, 09:22:32 PM »

Spoiler

Did'nt think Welch should have died at the end...seemed too out of place with the happy go lucky feel of the film.

Yea but that was a very Spaghetti Touch, no?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM