Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 04:16:51 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Blood on the Moon (1948)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blood on the Moon (1948)  (Read 4908 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2009, 02:25:52 AM »

Not as good as it is thought to be. The beginning is very good and the scene at the posada impressive. But it is too overstretched, repetitive, uselessly intricated, with too many studio open air scenes and some back projections during the stampede which give you goosebumps from shame. The love dialogues between geddes and Mitchum while he lays sick on bed fall into the ridicuolous. 7\10

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 04:20:59 AM »

So I wonder what all the hype is about then? Most of Mitchum's Westerns just don't quite click, I was hoping this one would have been different. The only one I've really liked of his is the Zapata Western he made with Brenner & Bronson "Villa Rides".

The only other one that looked as if it may be good is "The Beautiful Country" of which I've only seen the beginning.  Also Firecracker feels that "The Wrath Of God" is worth a look also ( another that I've only seen the opening of )

« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 04:24:06 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 07:09:06 AM »

No, Pursued I remember it was very good (but I saw it 30 years ago and dubbed: dubbing provided by Alberto Sordi). 

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 01:48:21 PM »

Pursued is very good. I also enjoyed Man with the Gun recently, streaming for free on Hulu.com.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 04:19:04 PM »

Pursued is very good. I also enjoyed Man with the Gun recently, streaming for free on Hulu.com.

I've seen both I didn't think "Pursued" lived up to its hype either, and I have "Man with the Gun" too, which is OK nothing outstanding. I forgot to mention "The River Of No Return" which is another of his Westerns with Marilyn Monroe, that one is entertaining, but nothing special either.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 05:05:43 PM »

Huh, I think Pursued is a cut above (a noir plot and at times noir lighting).

River of No Return, on the other hand, bites big time. I don't need a Western where they sing the theme song in the middle. And that rear projection is some of the worst ever perpetrated.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 03:43:57 PM »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003LQRYEA/ref=pe_3511_21323041_snp_explore

UPDATE: Originally, the link above went to an upcoming DVD release but that release was canceled so the link goes nowhere. Too bad; there still is no easy way to access this film.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 10:15:43 AM by dave jenkins » Logged

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 12:30:18 PM »

Tough, dirty, exciting, intelligent. One of the best westerns of the 40s

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 06:27:43 PM »

It should be better for a Mitchum + Wise + RKO combination. The first hour or so was pretty good but it gets stale after they catch up to Mitchum and the government officer he kidnaps. It is smarter than the average western but Wise doesn't deliver the visuals that the first third suggests. I already forgot what the score sounds like. It gets lazier as it goes along.

As for Pursued, the first 30 mins are useless in some ways. It takes way too long to communicate that the family has taken his character into their home.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 02:42:33 AM »

Yeah, I'd have to agree with titoli and T.H., though also with stanton to a certain degree. This is all in all a good movie, and probably the best of those psychological Westerns that I can think of. Cliched story and uneven plot, but the characters and the actor's performances are substantial. The visuals are a two-bladed knife: at least here unlike in, say, André de Toth's Day of the Outlaw, they have some outdoors shots, that are quite nice, unfortunately they get paired with a shameful montage of action scenes with amateurish (to say at least) back projections. For instance, during the stampedo-gunfight a couple of characters are shown riding on a horse and firing the gun, and you can't help thinking a bunch of kids would have done it better. And yeah, it really looses a lot of steam on the cut of the first hour, the movie never quite recovers, just like Mitchum's character. By the time they tried to turn the ship back on course they ran out of time.

(I still like it well enough to give it a) 7/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 07:59:02 PM »

caught it again today 7/10

Spikeopath
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 09:42:28 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040175/reference

I can buy me that kind of friend for $75 a month and no questions asked.

Blood on the Moon is directed by Robert Wise and is adapted from a Luke Short story by Lillie Hayward and Harold Shumante. It stars Robert Mitchum, Barbara Bel Geddes, Robert Preston, Walter Brennan, Phyllis Thaxter, Frank Faylen, Tom Tully and Charles McGraw. Music is by Roy Webb and cinematography by Nicholas Musuraca. Story has Mitchum as drifting cowboy Jim Garry, who after receiving a job offer in the mail from old acquaintance Tate Riling (Preston), finds himself pitched in the middle of a war between cattle ranchers and homesteaders.

Effective and tightly crafted Western that has garnered many favourable remarks, due in the main to its ability to veer away from formula suggested by the plot and the technical film noir touches brought about by the great Musuraca. With Mitchum turning in one of his great screen dominating performances, film is driven forward by the psychological aspects brought about by thematics such as duplicity, split loyalties and moral quandaries. Director Wise does a good job of pacing the film, keeping it on the slow burn whilst dialling into Jim Garry's mindset, and picture is further boosted by a great knuckle fight and a rip-roaring siege shoot out at the end. But it's the mood created by Musuraca and Wise that is the real winner. With the film set 90% at night or in darkened rooms, shadow play is high and an oppressive feel adds weight to the psychological clocks ticking away in the narrative. In support of Mitchum, Geddes does spunky cowgirl well, while the presence of Brennan, Faylen and the gravel voiced McGraw is keenly felt.

Good story, well acted and visually potent. 7/10

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM