Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2017, 01:58:51 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)  (Read 16615 times)
Lewis Hawk
Bandido

"Creuse..."

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2004, 02:29:31 PM »

anybody seen clint's "josey wales" Huh
i just have seen it today and i've some sorrows!
good shots, nice pictures, wonderful costum but no rythm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and too many dialogs!!
what do you think about it???

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2004, 06:41:29 PM »

Its the type of post SW western that is a bastard between American Westerns and the SW's.

Jose Wales, more violent but also more melodrama, no memorable score that I can remember. Its good Clint Eastwood western better than some of his others.

Definitely not Leone.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2004, 09:11:59 PM »

agree with everything said but it's still a damn good movie... has the only indian character i've ever liked in a western.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2004, 04:12:04 PM »

agree with everything said but it's still a damn good movie... has the only indian character i've ever liked in a western.

You know grandpa_chum, I read the book before I saw the movie, and the book read almost like it was two different authors.

In the book Lone Watte was a savy companion to Jose Wales while he was on the run. I vividly remember a great little section where while they were being chased  by a posse or troops, Lone showed Jose how to drop his horse to the ground quickly so they wouldn't be seen by grabbing the horse by the nostrils and flipping him down. It was a cool bit of writting.

Then as soon as the Sondra Locke character shows up it was a completely different book.

Check it out sometime in you can and you'll see what I mean.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Walter
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2004, 07:44:21 AM »

The movie is not without flaws, but I have always liked it and just recently revisited on SE dvd. Some lines are true classics, like my signature. I really like the way Josey just leaves when Lone starts up about the cheating white men. Two points comes across, both the injustice against indians and the fact that Josey Wales doesn't care. And the tobacco spitting is fascinatingly gross, but a cool statement of arrogance.

Sondra Locke doesn't even ruin the movie, as she ruined so many others. I think the end, where Josey Wales suddenly and reluctantly has gotten a family, is great. It shows that even with all his anger and vengefulness, he is - at heart - a family man and is really not cut out to be a loner.

There's hope in this picture, hope for everybody, even for a hardended guerilla fighter and gunfighter like Josey wales.  

Dying ain't much of a living, boy
Nobody
Gunslinger

Nobody, but Nobody, knows the trouble he's in!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2004, 08:34:46 AM »

It would have been the best non-Leone Eastwood western had it not been for Unforgiven. And perhaps High Plains Drifter.

"As boys, they said they would die for each other. As men, they did."
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2004, 12:52:44 PM »

The movie is not without flaws, but I have always liked it and just recently revisited on SE dvd. Some lines are true classics, like my signature.

I'm with you Walter.  If anyone on this board hasn't seen it you have to rent it immediately.  Some great oneliners in this movie, one of my favorites is when John Vernon (aka "Dean Wormer" of Animal House) objects to a massacre and bleats, "But you said they'd be decently treated!"  And get's the colonel's stern reply, "They were decently fed....and they were decently shot!"

And of course the immortal, "Ten Bears likes his women fresh"

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
Walter
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2004, 03:51:04 PM »

Forgot to mention that the new dvd is one of the truly great clean-up jobs. The picture looks like it is brand new, and the remixed 5.1 surround sound is amazingly well done.

Cool extras, too, Eastwood himself has contributed a lot. Even a small, but funny piece on chewing tobacco.

Dying ain't much of a living, boy
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2004, 07:19:50 AM »

Looked up this movie on imdb and saw that a "Philip Kaufman" is the screenwriter.  Chicago boy, also wrote Raiders of the Lost Ark amongst a few other notable films.  Very talented, I think he's doin' alright for himself.

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
Nobody
Gunslinger

Nobody, but Nobody, knows the trouble he's in!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2004, 07:41:57 AM »

Philip Kaufman was supposed to direct it as well, but got fired a few days after shooting had started. Clint took over.

"As boys, they said they would die for each other. As men, they did."
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2005, 06:43:22 PM »

I know somebody will cringe at my statement, but the only thing I liked of the movie, reseen today, is Sondra Locke (only when not talking, though).

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2005, 07:15:38 PM »

It went seriously downhill when SL and family showed up IMOP.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2005, 08:39:03 AM »

Probably, even though I felt it started to slide already with the barge episode.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2005, 02:55:51 PM »

Its the same with the book, its really great up until SL & family arrive on the scene after that its like somebody else wrote the rest of the story it is that much different.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2005, 04:17:31 PM »

I've only sat through this movie the whole way once, though I've watched bits-'n'-pieces many times.  Clint was a total badass here, but I don't think it was on the level of GBU or "Unforgiven".  John Vernon and Chief Dan George were good, but as others have said, the movie suffered badly from the lack of a strong villain to play off of Clint.  Not that Bill McKinney did a bad job, but he was given a one-dimensional character with little to do.  And the less said about Sondra Locke and Co., the better.  Still, a must-see for Clint and Spaghetti Western fans.  8/10

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM