Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 12:23:30 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  I giorni dell'ira aka Day of Anger (1967)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Poll
Question: What do you think of it?
Must see   -4 (25%)
Great   -4 (25%)
Good   -4 (25%)
Ok   -3 (18.8%)
Bad   -0 (0%)
Terrible   -1 (6.3%)
I wish I could turn back time and never see it   -0 (0%)
Total Voters: 15

Author Topic: I giorni dell'ira aka Day of Anger (1967)  (Read 29483 times)
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2014, 09:44:56 AM »

So there should be no mistake how the movie ends.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2014, 11:57:58 AM »

I assumed this was a UK specific release because it's Arrow, but just learned this is a US release.

This is not only great news that this movie is being released in the States but does this mean that Arrow is going to be releasing more R1/US blurays? Assuming that this is the case, this is fantastic news to R1 folks limited by region. Arrow does a hell of a job.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2014, 03:12:39 PM »

I assumed this was a UK specific release because it's Arrow, but just learned this is a US release.

This is not only great news that this movie is being released in the States but does this mean that Arrow is going to be releasing more R1/US blurays? Assuming that this is the case, this is fantastic news to R1 folks limited by region. Arrow does a hell of a job.
Agreed. Yes, they are expanding by starting up an American base of operations. They will continue to release in both markets, but because of rights issues, of course, they will not release everything in the US that they do in the UK (and vice versa). I have bought a few UK Arrow releases and have been very happy with them. I will be very glad to get their US product.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2014, 08:13:39 PM »

When I saw this at the theater upon initial release here in Arizona in 1970, it was called "Day of Anger", and so was the soundtrack vinyl LP I purchased.

I came across this film on disc or VHS years later as "Days of Wrath", and have absolutely no idea why.  Maybe someone here knows why.  I never heard of the title "Gunlaw" until I looked this up tonight on IMDB.

Anyway, pretty good, believe Al Mulloch as Wild Jack.  Great scene: duel with loading muskets as they rode towards each other with music blazing.  Loved the way the bad guys were having such a rollicking great time while dragging Talby around behind their horses (to the music, of course, this is a spaghetti western !!!).

For the record: the first film I took a gal to !!!

« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 09:07:46 PM by Cusser » Logged
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 03, 2014, 01:13:57 PM »

Agreed. Yes, they are expanding by starting up an American base of operations. They will continue to release in both markets, but because of rights issues, of course, they will not release everything in the US that they do in the UK (and vice versa). I have bought a few UK Arrow releases and have been very happy with them. I will be very glad to get their US product.

I have their region free release of Vamp and they put a ton of work into it. I'm hoping that some of their MoC stuff can make it over here, that would be amazing. I really hope they release more Spags as well. Either way, this is pretty great news.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2015, 07:55:31 AM »

PQ: 5/5 per http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Day-of-Anger-Blu-ray/114342/#Review

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2015, 06:26:28 AM »

Dave - I saw this film in the theater in 1970 upon first US release, sure it was the shorter US/International version.

Question: do I understand that this release does NOT play on typical USA Blu-Ray players, and that a special region-free one is required?  Thanks - I don't yet have a Blu-Ray player either !

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2015, 01:22:45 PM »

Dave - I saw this film in the theater in 1970 upon first US release, sure it was the shorter US/International version.

Question: do I understand that this release does NOT play on typical USA Blu-Ray players, and that a special region-free one is required?  Thanks - I don't yet have a Blu-Ray player either !
No, the US release will play in US players. There is also a UK release, but you don't have to worry about that. Just get the US release (if you're interested).

Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

Crazy bellringer was right....

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2015, 11:52:03 AM »

Very much looking forward to the new BLU of this. Van Cleef was really on his game in the late 60's...the only thing I don't like about this movie is the main character's name! (Scott Mary!, sheesh)

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2015, 11:50:11 AM »

U.S. dual-format edition in da house!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 01, 2015, 07:50:35 AM »

Day of Anger (1967) 1080p - 7/10. First time viewing--I've been waiting all my life for the Blu, I guess. And man, does it look good (too bad that bum Leone doesn't rate this level of respect). I watched the longer cut with Italian audio and I enjoyed the film much more than most Spaghettis--there were a few moments, though, where the plot had me scratching my head. OK, so LVC wants his $50,000 and Al Mullock knows who to finger--why don't they do a deal? LVC can go after the guys in question and, if successful, he can give a cut to Al (waiting in Mexico). Of course, LVC could cut Al out completely, but Al wouldn't be any worse off than he is now, so why not take the chance? At the very least, LVC would wreak some vengeance on Al's betrayers--why wouldn't he be down with that? And then he'd also know who had all the money if he wanted to come after LVC later. So why does Al want LVC dead before the guy has a chance to run his revenge mission? And what kind of strategy is it to send the gang away and face LVC by yourself? Another thing--when LVC hits town the $50,000 seems to no longer be on LVC's mind. OK, maybe he figures shaking the whole establishment down and setting himself as the new man in charge is a more profitable way to go--but shouldn't we get some kind of indication that his thinking has developed?

Characters are not well limned, but that allows for the dynamics of the situation to change suddenly, a good thing. I liked the fact that everyone was so inscrutable (vis--vis each other). And of course, it's always fun when old friends like Al or Benito Stefanelli drop in to get killed. (I especially liked the duel-on-horseback using ball-and-powder rifles--great, great bit.) Apparently Valleri only shot for 2 weeks in Spain and then finished the bulk of the picture in Rome. As a result, his town scenes look a bit fake, and the over-lit interiors are rather annoying (if only the director had seen some Leone films, he'd have known what was possible with dimly lit rooms). Maybe he was going for an AW look, though. Anyway, on balance I liked the look of the film, and the presentation on disc is superb.

Shadow
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2015, 06:13:26 AM »

Got the Arrows BD/DVD combo in the mail yesterday. Lovely packaging and I think the 12-p booklet is an interesting read. I've watched only a small portion of the movie yesterday, but it sure looks great on bluray. With Face To Face on its way to bluray in August I will have a few good spaghetti's to (re)watch as I keep waiting for a bluray release of The Great Silence......

uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2016, 07:37:27 PM »

just watched the "long" version and boy, was it long (i suspect the International version is an improvement)

I will give this film its due - the gunfights were very well staged and the two leads were fine.
But, the film has nothing to offer besides that and is esp. derivative of other, better se's
bruce marshall

ps the dvd looks spectacular! Huh

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2016, 07:53:38 PM »

well said!

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
Moorman
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2017, 10:30:19 PM »

This was a pretty good Lee Van Cleef Spaghetti Western.  I saw it on youtube, so i can't say anything about the cinematography until i get the Blu Ray.

Script... It was ok until the end. The ending was kinda rushed. I also didn't like how the guy left Scott the gun in the box.  Just felt too predictable.

Acting... I only enjoyed Van Cleef.

Musical Score... Excellent. I was pleasantly surprised by it.

Overall... I saw this on youtube. I will have to get this on Blu Ray... I rate it a 7 out of 10 and a must have for your Blu Ray collection.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM