Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 09:56:44 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Bogdanovich
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bogdanovich  (Read 21665 times)
Walton
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2005, 12:19:02 AM »

Well, I base that particular opinion on books I've read, interviews, dvd's etc. However, as I've never actually met the man, I'm left to draw my conclusions from the evidence available to me.

I do agree with your observation that directors will often sacrifice everything/everyone to bring about their vision, but it's not a blanket description that can be applied to everybody. Of the four working film directors I personally know, I could only apply that particular description to one of them - the other three are reasonable human beings who treat the people they collaborate with in a respectful way. Like anything, it depends on the individual and how they operate. That said, of course, that's just my personal experience in the film business and maybe I'm lucky to know decent people.

If anything, the people in the film industry I've found to be the worst are actually the distributors, who lie, cheat, steal and burn bridges like there's no tomorrow... but that's a whole other discussion. (Oh, and critics and journalists aren't a particularly wonderful mob either, I'd be attacking them far more readily than artists)

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2005, 01:40:18 AM »

I don't know why some of you have such disrespect for bogdanovich... in my mind ONE great film is enough for me to respect a director, and the last picture show is a great film and it's even mostly due to the direction, surprisingly.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
KERMIT
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2005, 07:22:45 AM »

which is your least favorite leone film grand pa ?  Undecided
and, what do you think would have saved it to make it a better film ?

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2005, 01:48:15 PM »

for a few dollars more, nothing can really save it... the other 5 are just better... no i take that back, if the flashbacks were as good as the other films it'd be up there

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2005, 04:27:39 PM »

To keep this somewhat on track, and not get sidetracked by grandpa_chum's tastes

hey i was as sideswiped by the question as anyone... i just answered it.

as far as santi, that would make sense, but you'd have to have more than just recycled cast to believe a rumor that he directed it, assuming what you refer to is just a rumor.

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2005, 06:08:10 PM »

I guess what i'm asking is...

is there any proof that even indicates that santi was present during the filming of the movie... he's certainly not crediting with anything. or is it just an out of the blue myth because santi had worked with leone before?

Leonardo
Gunslinger

"So you're not a businessman after all.."

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2005, 11:15:19 AM »

By the way, The Last Picture Show is a great film, worth checking out. Haven't seen any of his other films though.

Right  you are, Nobody! The Last Picture Show was definitely a good movie, but as far as his other films are concerned, take my word: you didn't miss much at all.

Johny_Exhale
Bandido

"Now, I believe only in dynamite"

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2005, 11:52:51 AM »

The Last Picture Show is definitly great, They All Laughed is excellent aswell, you definitly check that one out

200.000 Dollars is alotta money
Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2005, 08:21:34 PM »

I don't think there is any concrete evidence at all regarding what may or may not have been directed by Santi in GIU LA TESTA.

Nobody as far as I know has ever published shooting scheduals, wage slips, memos or even clapper board frame blow ups supporting any real info as to his input. All we have to go on is a conflicting "few days" from Leone to "one day" from Donati.

I guess some people, based on this info, put 2 and 2 together to make 5 and say that "the stagecoach" sequence wasn't directed by Leone.

But then you have to look at that sequence as a whole and ask "which part of it"? I guess because many folk have no idea how films are actually made, they assume they are always shot in sequence, therefor they come to the conclusion that because "the stagecoach" stuff  happens at the start of the film, Santi must have directed that bit.

But as these scenes, (before the arrival of Coburn) are split up into 4 different exterior locations shot in different parts of Almeria and 1 interior sequence filmed  in (I'm guessing) Cineccita and Almeria, that ads up to more work than Donati, or even Leone allows for Santi's time on the pic. Untill somebody roots around in some very old, dusty paperwork which may or may not still exist in a Roman archive someplace, we'll only have fanboy speculation to go on. Huh

As for Santi working on other Leone movies, the evidence is there at imdb.com, but we all know how useless that often is. Frayling says Santi worked with Leone before, in his book, and if you have time to check on your DVD credits, let us know if he's there.

Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2005, 03:48:57 PM »

Bogdanovich's TARGETS is a classic. First saw it in the late 60's/ early 70's as part of a double bill alongside NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD! That night scared the bejayzus out of me until.....THE EXORCIST rolled into town!
Check out his SAINT JACK (1979). Neat little character driven movie!

« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 03:50:57 PM by Belkin » Logged

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2007, 10:57:35 PM »

The now infamous Michael Richards (Kramer) from Seinfeld used to do a hilarious Bogdanovich impersonation. Of What I've seen Bogdonovitch's Paper Moon & Last Picture Show are very good, but I don't see how he would have filmed DYS anything like a Leone film.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2007, 01:44:34 PM »

but I don't see how he would have filmed DYS anything like a Leone film.

Exactly why he wasn't hired. And just because of that he held a personal grudge against Leone, commenting on how his films were savage. Yet he's a guest on The Sopranos, go figure.

Speaking of which, the series finale to The Sopranos sucked big time.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2007, 02:02:45 PM »

Speaking of which, the series finale to The Sopranos sucked big time.
No spoilers, please! Or at least warn before you make any. See, it's not here until the fall. Tongue

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2007, 02:52:03 PM »

No spoilers, please! Or at least warn before you make any. See, it's not here until the fall. Tongue

I'm sorry, it was just incredibly bad. You'll see.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2007, 07:01:12 PM »

Bogdanovich even takes a shot at Leone's looks by saying something along the lines of him having a smallish, feminine looking chin when he was clean shaven. He also didn't enjoy Once Upon a Time in the West b/c he felt you had to see all the films that inspired it. This is the same man who claims to have seen thousands upon thousands of movies, so one would assume that West caters to the Bogdanovichs of the world. Although having knowledge of the Hollywood westerns that West draws from certainly elevates the overall experience (atleast imo), it is certainly not a pre-req. for being able to appreciate or even enjoy the movie. Then again, this guy dons a purple scarf around his neck and has been irrelevant for three decades.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM