Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 06, 2019, 01:49:40 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Tarantino Speaks
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 2 [3]
: Tarantino Speaks  ( 2716 )
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #30 : June 06, 2019, 11:09:35 AM »

Than it comes even better now!

I do not think GBU is an epic, that would follow with his later films. For the dollar trilogy Leone had created an anti-epic style of western directing. He maintained that for GBU, but the anti-epic storytelling is now set against an epic background. And than he was ready with his next western to turn the basically anti-epic plot into a real epic film.       (Jesus, is that clever ...)

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #31 : June 06, 2019, 11:17:21 AM »

One could say this is an epic comment.

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #32 : June 06, 2019, 01:40:53 PM »

Well, not that making epic westerns is important ... but our Sergio did it then quite well. At least once ...

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #33 : June 06, 2019, 04:55:23 PM »

To my mind, Leone's great theme is male heterosexual friendship. By the time he gets to DYS and OUATITA that theme is front and center, but earlier in his career his approach was more circumspect. FaFDM obviously presents the developing friendship between Mortimer and Manco, but it seems rather superficial. This is largely, I think, because the two characters are rather sketchily drawn. Mortimer has a backstory, but little of his personality is engaging, and Manco remains pretty much a cipher. GBU is a big advance over the previous film in this regard. We are with Blondie and Tuco long enough--and they go through so much together--that we develop real affection for the characters separately and together. Tarantino, in his recent comments on the film, puts his finger on a unique feature of the film: it is a buddy picture that deploys many of the tropes of buddy pictures without in fact actually being a buddy picture. At the end of the film it's more than likely that Tuco will chase Blondie down and kill him (see notes for GBU 2: Tuco's Revenge). But Leone has, by the time of GBU, developed his approach to character to such an extent that the film has real gravity. It is an epic, not only in scope, but in depth. The characters really live. I never go back to FaFDM hoping to spend time with Mortimer and Manco: they are flat characters who exist just to further the plot. But I'll often spin scenes from GBU--not even the whole movie--just to be able to spend time with a couple of old friends.

Agree

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #34 : June 06, 2019, 04:56:38 PM »

That's the first interesting Leone related comment I've read on this board in years!

It had to come from Hippie Jenkins  O0

Lol

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #35 : June 07, 2019, 06:59:00 AM »

At the end of the film it's more than likely that Tuco will chase Blondie down and kill him.

I think this is possible.  Revenge would drive Tuco more than him being content with his half of the gold.  And if Blondie had intended Tuco to die, Blondie would've re-buried the remaining four sacks of coins - just in case !!!

As to an epic film, at least to me this seems to be a film over a longer period of time, and thus GBU qualifies but Once/West does not as that all takes place within a few days.

An epic film does not necessarily have to be long in running time, such as Adventures of Robin Hood at 1 hr 41 minutes.

As to For a Few Dollars More: I have always liked this way more than Fistful, and do like the Mortimer-Manco "uneasy" partnership (Leone seemed to like such partnerships). 

uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

« #36 : June 08, 2019, 10:14:36 AM »

That's the first interesting Leone related comment I've read on this board in years!

It had to come from Hippie Jenkins  O0

He.must have had a rare moment of sobriety!

;)

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines