Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 10:05:42 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Kino Lorber 2 - Disc 4K Blu-ray 2017
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kino Lorber 2 - Disc 4K Blu-ray 2017  (Read 13342 times)
Le Bon
Gunslinger

You'd better be Bill Carson

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2017, 01:37:10 PM »

Their skeleton scene  is from the Italian archives I believe. It is 8 seconds longer and has no sound.

stamper
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2017, 01:53:25 PM »

When asked they say it's from La Traviatta who found it.
La Variatta doesn't say anything about it, so I suspect it might be taken from the fan print.
We'll see if it differs.

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2017, 12:05:36 PM »

KL claims their footage of the SS is approximately 8 seconds longer than the fan source.

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

Crazy bellringer was right....

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2017, 01:33:21 PM »

When asked they say it's from La Traviatta who found it.
La Variatta doesn't say anything about it, so I suspect it might be taken from the fan print.
We'll see if it differs.

The Leone group has one 1966 print still in their archives. The fan group I'm a part of has 2 (one full/one partial.) having the two prints allows us to make some conclusions about the original 1966 cut. It is entirely possible the skeleton scene was part of the 1966 release prints, if the version on the Kino disc also has the unique optical dissolve, and perhaps some evidence of being pulled from a print (dust/scratches/color correction etc)then we might be able to determine that they pulled it from their own release print and voila, we can surmise it was part of the 1966 cut. If it doesn't have the dissolve, that muddies the waters, although it could have been trimmed from the negative at the same time as the extended beating scene. More on this all here:

http://theeditroomfloor.blogspot.com/2017/04/current-issues-with-good-bad-and-ugly.html

http://theeditroomfloor.blogspot.com/2017/04/current-issues-with-good-bad-and-ugly_15.html

http://theeditroomfloor.blogspot.com/2017/04/current-issues-with-good-bad-and-ugly_19.html

« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 03:52:38 PM by Jordan Krug » Logged
Le Bon
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 27, 2017, 03:12:39 PM »

The tentative release date is 15th August.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2017, 05:40:57 AM »

And now the pre-order is up at amazon: https://www.amazon.com/The-Good-the-Bad-and-the-Ugly-Blu-ray/dp/B0716XZB2B?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2017, 07:39:17 AM »

Do I order or wait to see how it looks? .......

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 25, 2017, 08:40:17 AM »

I wait until I know how it is, then I don't buy it ...

Le Bon
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2017, 03:47:28 AM »

Do I order or wait to see how it looks? .......

I'm waiting to see how it looks.

XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2017, 12:56:45 PM »

From http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=21492 :
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly 50th Anniversary Blu-ray Edition Detailed    
Posted June 10, 2017 03:33 PM by Webmaster

Pre-order Now
Kino InternationalKino Lorber have dated and detailed their brand new 50th Anniversary Blu-ray edition of director Sergio Leone's classic western The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966), starring Eli Wallach, Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef, Aldo Giuffrè, and Luigi Pistilli. The two-disc set will be available for purchase on August 15th.

Synopsis: By far the most ambitious, unflinchingly graphic and stylistically influential western ever mounted, The Good The Bad And The Ugly is an engrossing action shot through with a volatile mix of myth and realism. Clint Eastwood returns as the "Man With No Name," this time teaming with two gunslingers to pursue a cache of $20,000-and letting no one, not even warring factions in a civil war, stand in their way.

From sun-drenched panoramas to bold hard close-ups, exceptional camera work captures the beauty and cruelty of the barren landscape and the hardened characters who stride unwaveringly through it. Forging a vibrant and yet detached style of action that had not been seen before, and has never been matched since, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly shatters the western mold in true Eastwood style.

Special Features and Technical Specs:

DISC ONE

4K transfer of the Original U.S. Theatrical Cut
    New Audio Commentary by Film Historian Tim Lucas
    "Trailers From Hell" with Ernest Dickerson
    Newly Restored 2.0 Mono Audio
    M.O.S. Deleted Scene of Blondie in the desert finding skeletons
    Trailers for Sergio Leone Westerns
    Italian Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono
    English DTS-HD MA 5.1 Audio
    Animated Image Galleries
    Optional English SDH subtitles

DISC TWO

4K transfer of the Extended Cut
    Newly Restored 2.0 Mono Audio
    Audio Commentary By Acclaimed Film Historian Richard Schickel
    Audio Commentary By Noted Cultural Historian Christopher Frayling
    Leone's West: Making Of Documentary
    The Leone Style: On Sergio Leone Featurette
    The Man Who Lost The Civil War: Civil War Documentary
    Reconstruction The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
    II Maestro: Ennio Morricone and The Good, The Bad And The Ugly Featurette
    Deleted Scenes
    Original U.S. Theatrical Trailer
    Original French Theatrical Trailer
    English DTS-HD MA 5.1 Audio
    Italian Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono
    Optional English subtitles

ADDITIONAL NOTES FROM THE DISTRIBUTORS

Besides the color correction (removing the yellowishness) we also made the following corrections and adjustments to create our 161 Minute cut of the Theatrical version:

1. The "flip cut" transition/optical wipe from "Tuco talking to Blondie and taking a bite of his cigar to being hung" was restored to its original version

2. The fadeout to black of the "gun shop owner with the sign in his mouth" scene is now a cut to exodus scene.

3. The fadeout of the "Blondie passing out as Tuco is bringing him water" scene happens exactly 1 second later than how it was on old MGM DVD release of the Theatrical Cut.

4. The dissolve from "night" scene to "coach arriving at the mission" scene now fades up from black

5. The shot of the train leaving the station (with Tuco and Wallace on it) was supposedly longer in the US theatrical cut, before cutting directly to Tuco in the train and not dissolving out earlier to the early morning camp scene - Our 4K of the 161 minute cut matches the old MGM DVD of the theatrical cut exactly.

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 12, 2017, 01:19:05 PM »

unfortunately, despite being warned of the potential pitfalls of doing so, Kino SEEMS to be using the 1998 DVD as a reference for their u.s./international cut, instead of all the correct reference they were offered. The 98 DVD is riddled with differences/changes from the original 1967 theatrical cut, it includes many shots it shouldn't from the Italian version, scenes are recut using both, and it is missing some shots as well. I have been very vocal about this being a poor choice of reference so hopefully they have other references that will point them in the right direction.

Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 14, 2017, 05:06:46 AM »

I wanted to illustrate further one of the issues with using the MGM 1998 dvd as the reference cut for the new Kino "theatrical version" (which Kino has hinted they are doing, but have not confirmed). In particular this scene, as Tuco's gang approaches, you can see "one of these is not like the others" and it's the MGM 1998 dvd. For some reason, not only does the 98 dvd incorporate some (but not all) of the Italian version shots into the American version - it actually re-orders a few of them. So effectively someone at MGM recut their own version of the scene, and it matches neither the 1966 Italian cut, nor the 1967 International (U.S) cut. Hopefully Kino will match the 1967 International (U.S.) cut as seen here on a 1967 35mm print and a 1990 laserdisc reference, as that is Leone's approved shorter version.

https://vimeo.com/221519241

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 14, 2017, 12:26:53 PM »

Holy Leone! I had never before even imagined that shots had been re-ordered. Is this yet another of John Kirk's crimes? Regardless, this cannot stand, and 1998 should be junked as a reference. Thank you, Mr. Krug, for your diligence and effort. You are doing great work.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 14, 2017, 03:53:40 PM »

Lil brutto and I are certainly trying to get this film released the way Sergio intended...thanks!

Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2017, 08:46:23 AM »

http://theeditroomfloor.blogspot.ca/2017/04/current-issues-with-good-bad-and-ugly.html?m=1

I have posted an update that summarizes and gathers in one place all my recent back and forth with Kino and in general explains why Kino should not be using the 98 dvd as their guide (and claim that they are releasing a "4K transfer of the Original Theatrical Cut"). If you've already been following these threads on blu ray forum than you've already read all of this..but if you want clarity on the issue you'll find it there.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 08:50:17 AM by Jordan Krug » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM