Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 06:41:18 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Kino Lorber 2 - Disc 4K Blu-ray 2017
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kino Lorber 2 - Disc 4K Blu-ray 2017  (Read 11102 times)
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2017, 01:04:23 PM »

Hearing that it is a USA release is good news for me.  And if the disc is region-free, that's good news for all you Europeans as well  Smiley

Drink, you must be the only person on this forum who cares about region coding. We've been telling you for years, you have to go region free or you end up missing out on some great releases.

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2017, 04:37:13 PM »

KINO LORBER is quite big in the US, I thought everybody (actually buying films on disc) knows them...

I co-produced the US CONVOY Blu-ray for them a year ago, nice company, some really good titles.
I am not sure that they have no region code. On the sleeves it states "A". But I belong to those freaks
who always have multiform players, I wouldn't really know or care Smiley.

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2017, 06:47:20 PM »

Drink, you must be the only person on this forum who cares about region coding. We've been telling you for years, you have to go region free or you end up missing out on some great releases.

Kindly give me a link to a good region-free BRD player that is reasonably priced. Thanks  Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2017, 08:48:45 PM »

I co-produced the US CONVOY Blu-ray for them a year ago, nice company, some really good titles.

With your connections, can you got some insider info on their GBU release?

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
Paulo
Bandido

Play, Harmonica - Play !

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2017, 09:58:23 AM »

According to a post on Kino Lorber Studio Classics Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/KinoLorberStudioClassics/):

"The disc will have the full version of the "skeleton scene" (without audio) which L'Immagine Ritrovata found when working on their 4K restoration"

I'm trying to find out about the pi$$ yellow situation.

Paulo
Bandido

Play, Harmonica - Play !

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2017, 11:06:07 AM »

OK; so i messaged Kino Lorber Studio Classics via Facebook regarding all things yellow, and here is how it went:

Me: Can you tell us if the new GBU Blu-ray will be yellow tinted like the last MGM effort? Thank you
Kino Lorber:   we're working on this issue.

Me: Thank you very much, that is indeed good news. I see only blue skies ahead! The life of this film is in your hands - we need no yellow, and the original mono soundtrack. You have a *real* chance here to make this release beyond definitive. Its life is in your hands...

So... it could be good news, lets hope so   Grin

(the bold / underscore is my emphasis)

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2017, 11:14:18 AM »

With your connections, can you got some insider info on their GBU release?

I just (hopefully) started another project with them.
But I see GBU fans are much faster than me regarding getting information...
We all hope the best.

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2017, 01:40:04 PM »

This gives me hope.

But one of the questions about this release has been, How did Kino outbid Criterion for this package? (We know CC was interested at one point). Speculation on my part: Criterion calculated what it would cost to re-do the colors and deducted the cost from their bid. Kino then won the bid handily, not anticipating any additional expenses. Now that the issue has been aired, they're trying to find a cheap way to tweak the colors, to be able to say they tried to do something. But there's no way to do a proper job without laying out some serious cash, and the projected earnings on this project will never justify them spending any more money. End of the day: same bad colors. I hope, hope, hope I'm wrong.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Le Bon
Gunslinger

You'd better be Bill Carson

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2017, 02:13:41 PM »

According to a post on Kino Lorber Studio Classics Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/KinoLorberStudioClassics/):

"The disc will have the full version of the "skeleton scene" (without audio) which L'Immagine Ritrovata found when working on their 4K restoration"

I'm trying to find out about the pi$$ yellow situation.

If L'Immagine Ritrovata found the skeleton scene when working on their restoration wouldn't we have heard about it before now?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2017, 04:18:42 PM »

If L'Immagine Ritrovata found the skeleton scene when working on their restoration wouldn't we have heard about it before now?
Not if they found it on your site.  Wink

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2017, 08:32:06 PM »

Here's the KL representative's response to my questions in another forum:

MisterLime,

Many folks have been asking this very question on several forums over the past few days. Will the KL release of the US theatrical cut be sourced from the 2014 4K master (used for the 2014 MGM BD) or a new 4K master? If the 2014 4K master will be used for the US theatrical cut will the image be altered in any way in terms of color, saturation, contrast?

Also, what is the source of the "M.O.S. Deleted Scene of Blondie in the desert finding skeletons"? Did you find this previously unseen footage in the archives or elsewhere?

Quote from: MisterLime
The 4K master will be the same master, we're looking into the yellowishness of the master and see if we can make some improvements. We'll make further announcements later.

MGM found the M.O.S. deleted scene and offered it to us as an extra, that's all I know.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2017, 09:00:12 PM »

I see only blue skies ahead!  Grin

Grin

But one of the questions about this release has been, How did Kino outbid Criterion for this package? (We know CC was interested at one point). Speculation on my part: Criterion calculated what it would cost to re-do the colors and deducted the cost from their bid. Kino then won the bid handily, not anticipating any additional expenses. Now that the issue has been aired, they're trying to find a cheap way to tweak the colors, to be able to say they tried to do something. But there's no way to do a proper job without laying out some serious cash, and the projected earnings on this project will never justify them spending any more money. End of the day: same bad colors. I hope, hope, hope I'm wrong.

I hope you are too, but I fear you're probably right  Sad

Le Bon
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2017, 03:45:15 AM »

Not if they found it on your site.  Wink

Alas its not my site but Jordan Krug's.  Smiley

Le Bon
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2017, 11:08:42 AM »

I contacted Kino on facebook and and had a reply today.  I asked about the yellow issue and the theatrical cut being used.

we're working on the "yellow" issue. And to be accurate, they did not use a tint, the assistant cameraman who oversaw the 4K transfer in Italy thought he was delivering a version closest to the director's vision. Some agree, some don't.

The extended version were scenes added to the original, so we don't know why it would worry you one way or another.

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2017, 04:11:03 PM »

Essentially the same answer regarding the color grading.

"We don't know why it would worry you one way or another." What does this mean?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM