Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 10:37:46 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Kino Lorber 2 - Disc 4K Blu-ray 2017
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kino Lorber 2 - Disc 4K Blu-ray 2017  (Read 10848 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2017, 06:17:46 PM »

It would be nice if they use the colors similar to the Mondo version. Or even the MGM SE DVD is fine.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2017, 09:33:18 PM »

Or the ACTUAL colors. It's really not that hard to figure out.  Angry

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2017, 04:03:48 AM »

It would be nice if they use the colors similar to the Mondo version. Or even the MGM SE DVD is fine.

I turned the colors of the Blu a little bit down, then it looks nice. Better than the SE DVD.

I won't buy this new Blu, as I'm not very interested in the 161 min version. I like most of the additional scenes of the original version very much, and the MGM Blu is good enough for the next years, and in 2 or 3 years the next HD remaster is to be expected anyway.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2017, 07:10:10 AM »

I turned the colors of the Blu a little bit down, then it looks nice. Better than the SE DVD.

I won't buy this new Blu, as I'm not very interested in the 161 min version. I like most of the additional scenes of the original version very much, and the MGM Blu is good enough for the next years, and in 2 or 3 years the next HD remaster is to be expected anyway.

Yeh - I'm happy with my MGM one with the original mono. I'm not so interested in the US theatrical release either.

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2017, 02:36:34 PM »

Or the ACTUAL colors. It's really not that hard to figure out.  Angry

I am so happy I saw a gorgeous 35mm print  few years ago - you nailed down the "actual" colors!

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2017, 03:29:51 PM »

I am so happy I saw a gorgeous 35mm print  few years ago - you nailed down the "actual" colors!

Fans of the film are perpetually optimistic that the NEXT OFFICIAL RELEASE will get it right if not this time. For the past 15 years or so we've been repeatedly disappointed becuase we have been making a rather huge assumption that the those responsible (MGM or the licensee like KL) actually give a shit and will faithfully reproduce the original theatrical presentation for BOTH cuts. History shows they don't give a shit otherwise we would have our desired version by now considering they have all the resources to do so. Even a bunch of hardcore fans have managed to pool their resources and now know how the film originally looked and what comprised the Italian cut and International Cut. Efforts have been made recently to share this info with KL but no response yet. I guess we'll have to see what they come up with.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2017, 04:04:37 PM »

Fans of the film are perpetually optimistic that the NEXT OFFICIAL RELEASE will get it right if not this time. For the past 15 years or so we've been repeatedly disappointed becuase we have been making a rather huge assumption that the those responsible (MGM or the licensee like KL) actually give a shit and will faithfully reproduce the original theatrical presentation for BOTH cuts. History shows they don't give a shit otherwise we would have our desired version by now considering they have all the resources to do so.
What burns is the fact that there are so many lesser films with excellent image quality now available on home video releases. How is it that one of the greatest movies of all time gets no respect while a mountain of schlock is treated like the pinnacle of filmic art?

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2017, 06:05:05 AM »

The Kino-Lorber rep who goes by the handle "Mr. Lime" has posted screen caps of before and after work on the yellow problem. Not sure if these are from actual work, or if this is a mock up. Anyway, there seems to be improvement, but there are still issues. Check these out: https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/official-kino-insider-announcements-thread-strictly-moderated-read-guidelines.337771/page-245#post-4476637

Paulo
Bandido

Play, Harmonica - Play !

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2017, 10:04:58 AM »

And here is another post that compares these very screen caps against the Italian Blu Ray....

http://thebadnet.blogspot.co.uk/

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2017, 05:07:05 PM »

The sentiment is right, but I'm not sure why they are bothering to be honest.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2017, 05:42:33 PM »

The sentiment is right, but I'm not sure why they are bothering to be honest.
[In the voice of Don Adams] Wouldja believe . . . $$$?

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2017, 06:29:41 PM »

Based on those screencaps KL is attempting to reverse the (irreversible) damage - the yellowish-teal color cast - done by L'Immagine Ritrovata to the 4K master rather than use a "raw" source without L'Immagine Ritrovata's meddling. The fact is this has already been done by fans not too long after the 2014 MGM BD release. (It looks like the fans have done a better job although KL may still be planning to tweak their regrade some more. Those caps still show excess green.) The problem with the BD is you can only pull back the yellowish-green cast so far before you start screwing up the other colors. If that's the same case with the master in the hands of KL then they won't be able to do much better.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2017, 07:18:07 AM »

KL have bought the rights to the L'Immagine Ritrovata master. They're stuck with it. They're not going to now order another scan. We will have to wait for someone in the future to do this right.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2017, 07:51:48 AM »

[In the voice of Don Adams] Wouldja believe . . . $$$?

But that's my point... anyone who cares enough to pay attention to the color grading is probably not going to buy this now - "lipstick on a pig" as they say. Anyone who doesn't care about the color grading won't notice whether they do it or not.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2017, 01:58:10 PM »

A lot of people don't read boards like these and won't get the word. They will buy this. And then buy the next one, and the next one . . .

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM