Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 10:52:15 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Kino Lorber 2 - Disc 4K Blu-ray 2017
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kino Lorber 2 - Disc 4K Blu-ray 2017  (Read 10990 times)
Le Bon
Gunslinger

You'd better be Bill Carson

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 21, 2017, 02:39:38 AM »

I wonder what these are? Perhaps some footage of Eastwood or Leone in Italy or press conference, that kind of thing.

- Vignette 1: Uno, Due, Tre (0:40)
- Vignette 2: Italian Lunch (0:43)
- Vignette 3: New York Accent (0:09)
- Vignette 4: Gun in Holster (0:58)

Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

Crazy bellringer was right....

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 21, 2017, 04:34:15 AM »

I wonder what these are? Perhaps some footage of Eastwood or Leone in Italy or press conference, that kind of thing.

- Vignette 1: Uno, Due, Tre (0:40)
- Vignette 2: Italian Lunch (0:43)
- Vignette 3: New York Accent (0:09)
- Vignette 4: Gun in Holster (0:58)

These might be the "Easter eggs" on the old 2003 DVD?

Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 21, 2017, 04:38:36 AM »

Just read through it, thanks  Afro Afro Afro

The 2014 version is identical to the MGM SE DVD?

Again, I can't click the link to Part 3. Can you provide it for me? Thanks  Afro

Gotta fix those links Smiley

http://theeditroomfloor.blogspot.ca/2017/04/current-issues-with-good-bad-and-ugly_59.html?m=1

If I understand your question, yes, the "extended English versions" are generally all the same. The 2014 extended was recreated from new scans off the negative, (and they based their cut off of the previous extended version) however as we all know they botched the color correction.

Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 21, 2017, 04:45:46 AM »

I just did the pre-order. It's $29.95.

This will be the SIXTH disc I have of GBU:

Original MGM DVD of (supposed) US theatrical cut (unrestored)
MGM SE DVD (no original mono)
MGM BRD (red faces, and I believe no original mono, right?)
Mondo BRD (no English audio, serious grading issues)
2014 BRD (piss)
2017 KL (?)

Plus I also have the digital file, purchased from iTunes, on my computer. (i believe that's the same as the SE DVD).

something tells me that, barring a miracle, this STILL will not be the definitive version of the movie. This is probably their evil plan all along. There is no other movie that I own six copies of!

Lil brutto and I have worked really hard to try and convince them to live up to their packaging/marketing which states "original U.S. theatrical cut". Unfortunately it looks like despite us advising them not to (while the new master was still being worked on months ago) they used the 98 DVD as reference. The 98 DVD has many differences when compared to the original u.s. Theatrical version. We won't know for sure until it comes out but irregardless, they were not able to fix the scene transitions that are unique to the original international/u.s. Cut. It won't be definitive but at least it's got some new extras, and you can have the 98 DVD in hd Smiley

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 21, 2017, 09:03:17 AM »

Lil brutto and I have worked really hard to try and convince them to live up to their packaging/marketing which states "original U.S. theatrical cut". Unfortunately it looks like despite us advising them not to (while the new master was still being worked on months ago) they used the 98 DVD as reference. The 98 DVD has many differences when compared to the original u.s. Theatrical version. We won't know for sure until it comes out but irregardless, they were not able to fix the scene transitions that are unique to the original international/u.s. Cut. It won't be definitive but at least it's got some new extras, and you can have the 98 DVD in hd Smiley

I prefer the longer cut. I am excited about having the Italian version in original mono

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 07, 2017, 08:08:43 AM »

Anyone here have an amazon prime subscription in the U.S.? Apparently kino's new "yellow reduced" version of the extended cut is available now on the prime video service. Would love to get an opinion and maybe even some screencaps? Not available in Canada unfortunately, damn geoblocking.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 08, 2017, 05:55:10 PM »

I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't learn of this release until this week. I need to check the individual movie forums every now and again.

I'm absolutely thrilled that we will get a 4K scan of the Original Theatrical cut. I don't care for any of the scenes added in the Extended cut outside of Angel Eyes visiting the infirmary/whatever the official word may be.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 08, 2017, 08:30:20 PM »

I don't care for any of the scenes added in the Extended cut outside of Angel Eyes visiting the infirmary/whatever the official word may be.

Usually referred to as a fort. It's not just for the injured. Though mostly injured are there now, because the uninjured have probably moved out toward the fighting front. It's usually called the fort scene. And virtually everyone agrees that it is the most important of the scenes that were removed from the US theatrical cut  Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 09, 2017, 02:42:43 AM »

I'm absolutely thrilled that we will get a 4K scan of the Original Theatrical cut.

Unfortunately you won't get what you hope to get. Only a try to reconstruct the theatrical cut out of the MGM 4K scan, you know the authentic looking one with the yellow teeth. But they will try to prune down the yellowness, so that the authentic look will also become history.

Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 09, 2017, 05:42:06 AM »

Unfortunately you won't get what you hope to get. Only a try to reconstruct the theatrical cut out of the MGM 4K scan, you know the authentic looking one with the yellow teeth. But they will try to prune down the yellowness, so that the authentic look will also become history.

Also, in terms of editing, you're only gonna get an "approximation" of the shorter international theatrical cut, not the actual international cut Leone put his name on. Kino couldn't be bothered to do any proper research, even when the research materials were freely offered to them. It remains to be seen how far off they are but it doesn't look promising.

Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 09, 2017, 05:43:13 AM »

Anyone here have an amazon prime subscription in the U.S.? Apparently kino's new "yellow reduced" version of the extended cut is available now on the prime video service. Would love to get an opinion and maybe even some screencaps? Not available in Canada unfortunately, damn geoblocking.

Someone on the blu ray forum is claiming that the amazon prime version is the 2009 version...will have to look into it...

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 09, 2017, 06:20:13 AM »

Someone on the blu ray forum is claiming that the amazon prime version is the 2009 version...will have to look into it...

Which version is that? The original MGM blu-ray, which does not have the piss?

Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 09, 2017, 07:26:17 AM »

Which version is that? The original MGM blu-ray, which does not have the piss?

Yeah, the one that is dnr'd to death.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 10, 2017, 12:02:45 AM »

Usually referred to as a fort. It's not just for the injured. Though mostly injured are there now, because the uninjured have probably moved out toward the fighting front. It's usually called the fort scene. And virtually everyone agrees that it is the most important of the scenes that were removed from the US theatrical cut  Smiley

Yeah, it is commonly referred to as the "fort scene", I just blanked on it. While I love that scene, I could sacrifice that for the other ~16 minutes that I really don't care for all that much.

I realize with Leone films that nothing will ever truly be ideal, but I'm just glad that the original US theatrical version isn't going to continue to be ignored/buried. I'm very happy about this news.

This is a question to those with the tech knowledge...was the film stock used for the $ Trilogy kind of cheap? It feels that way, especially when you compare it to the Hollywood westerns of the 50s/60s. Am I wrong to say that this movie will never have a chance of looking nearly as good as stuff like Bad Day at Bad Rock (even though that's a modern western)?

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 10, 2017, 09:49:17 AM »

Yeah, it is commonly referred to as the "fort scene", I just blanked on it. While I love that scene, I could sacrifice that for the other ~16 minutes that I really don't care for all that much.

I realize with Leone films that nothing will ever truly be ideal, but I'm just glad that the original US theatrical version isn't going to continue to be ignored/buried. I'm very happy about this news.

This is a question to those with the tech knowledge...was the film stock used for the $ Trilogy kind of cheap? It feels that way, especially when you compare it to the Hollywood westerns of the 50s/60s. Am I wrong to say that this movie will never have a chance of looking nearly as good as stuff like Bad Day at Bad Rock (even though that's a modern western)?

The dollars trilogy were shot on 2p techniscope, which gave you two anamorphicly squeezed frames in the same area you'd only get one frame on traditional 35mm. Essentially you'd get twice the length of footage per roll of film that way...a lot of spaghetti westerns used it because it was cheaper. The reduction in image quality is very small - you can still get a very robust image out of the neg, especially with modern technology. Check out the Italian disc for FOD, fantastic restoration

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM