Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 08:45:39 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Kino Lorber 2 - Disc 4K Blu-ray 2017
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kino Lorber 2 - Disc 4K Blu-ray 2017  (Read 12371 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: August 09, 2017, 01:18:47 PM »

Just so everyone knows, it's been confirmed that Kino used the 98 DVD as a cutting reference, instead of an actual 1967 international cut. That means their shorter version is not the cut Leone approved in 1967, its a "hybrid" cut that includes many shots from the Italian version, cuts some shots meant to be there, and completely (and needlessly) reorders the entire scene of the gunmen approaching Blondie's hotel room (something a home video editor decided to do in 1998, this reshuffling of the scene is now only on the 98 DVD and the kino disc). We repeatedly told them that the 98 DVD is NOT the 1967 international cut but they ignored us and are still falsely advertising the shorter version as "the original u.s. Theatrical cut". Quite simply, it is not. Disappointing that the home video market doesn't care about actually having a cut of GBU out there that is actually Leone's.

should I cancel my pre-order just as  a protest?

Honestly, if the SLWB members agree on a strict boycott of this Kino disc - and spread news of the boycott and let Kino know about it - maybe that'll be good for a) revenge purposes ; and b) making it clear to DVD/BRD companies that real fans won't tolerate falsehoods.

Waddaya say? If y'all commit to a boycott, I'll cancel my pre-order.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 09, 2017, 03:10:32 PM »

I find it hard to advocate boycotting a release to which the great Mike Siegel has contributed. Also, the Tim Lucas commentary on the shorter cut may be interesting.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 03:20:41 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 09, 2017, 03:20:43 PM »

I find it hard to advocate boycotting a release to which the great Mike Siegel has contributed to. Also, the Tim Lucas commentary on the shorter cut may be interesting.

A boycott is always painful. It's a question of priorities  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 09, 2017, 03:23:24 PM »

The history of GBU on home video suggests there will always be another edition--until the title stops being a cash cow. Better to signal to future producers that the market is still strong.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: August 09, 2017, 04:42:02 PM »

I find it hard to advocate boycotting a release to which the great Mike Siegel has contributed. Also, the Tim Lucas commentary on the shorter cut may be interesting.

A funny man Smiley.

But in general I think boycotting is a bit childish because the labels don't care a bit. My experience in 17 years working on DVD's. Even the bigger forums
like this one or Cinefacts in Germany won't make a significant difference at all. If they sell 30 or even 100,200 copies less... they don't care. A successful sale means 2000, 3000, 5000 or 10,000 copies and 99 % + of the regular buyers won't even know what we are talking about.
Most companies don't even (really) try to avoid the worst case scenario, a major mistake forcing them to replace the final product (technical
problems like out of sync, bad authoring or what have you.). Which would be easy if they'd send out 5 copies to dedicated fans who could test
them 100%. Any major fault would surface... instead I experienced a high number of discs where they had to replace thousands of discs...

Anyway Smiley. Regarding this title (and GIU LA TESTA Sad ) we have to fall back on privately made Blu-ray's, with right sound and colors... Unfortunately. So far.

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: August 09, 2017, 04:43:19 PM »

A funny man Smiley.

But in general I think boycotting is a bit childish because the labels don't care a bit. My experience in 17 years working on DVD's. Even the bigger forums
like this one or Cinefacts in Germany won't make a significant difference at all. If they sell 30 or even 100,200 copies less... they don't care. A successful sale means 2000, 3000, 5000 or 10,000 copies and 99 % + of the regular buyers won't even know what we are talking about.
Most companies don't even (really) try to avoid the worst case scenario, a major mistake forcing them to replace the final product (technical
problems like out of sync, bad authoring or what have you.). Which would be easy if they'd send out 5 copies to dedicated fans who could test
them 100%. Any major fault would surface... instead I experienced a high number of discs where they had to replace thousands of discs...

Anyway Smiley. Regarding this title (and GIU LA TESTA Sad ) we have to fall back on privately made Blu-ray's, with right sound and colors... Unfortunately. So far.

I can't wait to see the final JUNIOR BONNER Blu-ray I co-produced with them. It SHOULD be flawless. Should.

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 09, 2017, 05:25:11 PM »

A funny man Smiley.

If you're like me and prefer the longer version to the US theatrical version, the Special Edition DVD is fine

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 09, 2017, 05:55:50 PM »

I can't wait to see the final JUNIOR BONNER Blu-ray I co-produced with them. It SHOULD be flawless. Should.

Now that's what I'm looking forward to  Afro

If you're like me and prefer the longer version to the US theatrical version, the Special Edition DVD is fine

In my book, the only one really worth watching is the longer version minus the grotto scene, so I was never the target for this new release anyway. I'll stick with the most recent MGM blu-ray with mono audio until someone releases a version without the grotto scene so I don't have to skip it with my remote  Grin

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 09, 2017, 06:50:11 PM »

Now that's what I'm looking forward to  Afro

In my book, the only one really worth watching is the longer version minus the grotto scene, so I was never the target for this new release anyway. I'll stick with the most recent MGM blu-ray with mono audio until someone releases a version without the grotto scene so I don't have to skip it with my remote  Grin

I agree with you that the best version is longer minus grotto.

But to me, piss is not worth mono.

I'll take the DVD. If I want to hear Frayling's commentary, I'll go with original MGM BRD. Yes, I prefer red faces to piss.

Best BRD color is probably the Mondo, which does not have English audio and has the awful issue with the picture movement (is it called "grading"?) Yeah, we need someone to make a serious fan edit  Wink

« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 08:27:44 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 09, 2017, 07:09:17 PM »

Is the SLWB really "one of the bigger forums"? Do we even have 20 members who post regularly (say, at least once a week)?

In order to make a significant difference, a boycott would have to join with other forums and other social media groups, to get several several hundred hard-core fans who would have bought the disc to join.

Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

Crazy bellringer was right....

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 09, 2017, 08:14:05 PM »

I agree with you that the best version is longer minus grotto.

But to me, piss is not worth mono.

I'll take the DVD. If I want to hear Frayling's commentary, I'll go with original MGM BRD. Yes, I prefer red faces to piss.

Best BRD color is probably the Mondo, which does not have English audio and has the awful issue with the picture movement) is it called "grading"?) Yeah, we need someone to make a serious fan edit  Wink

It's called "rolling shutter", basically instead of each frame being scanned as one whole piece, strips of the frame are scanned in segments, resulting in a very "digital" look, and the mondo disc has many instances of the "wobbling" effect this causes. Also, each of the glue splices on the negative causes every edit to "jump".

Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

Crazy bellringer was right....

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 09, 2017, 08:16:55 PM »

should I cancel my pre-order just as  a protest?

Honestly, if the SLWB members agree on a strict boycott of this Kino disc - and spread news of the boycott and let Kino know about it - maybe that'll be good for a) revenge purposes ; and b) making it clear to DVD/BRD companies that real fans won't tolerate falsehoods.

Waddaya say? If y'all commit to a boycott, I'll cancel my pre-order.

I appreciate the sentiment, but I'm not calling for a boycott, just want people to know what they are buying since Kino is lying on amazon about it being the original cut. I'm still gonna buy it for the extras.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 09, 2017, 08:31:58 PM »

It's called "rolling shutter", basically instead of each frame being scanned as one whole piece, strips of the frame are scanned in segments, resulting in a very "digital" look, and the mondo disc has many instances of the "wobbling" effect this causes. Also, each of the glue splices on the negative causes every edit to "jump".

Thanks for the explanation.

This was soooooooooo bad as to make the movie unwatchable. I shut it off after three minutes and never watched it again. I am surprised they did not recall it and issue a new version (and give it for free to all who had purchased the old one). Yes, it's that awful.
If they ever get their shit together and issue a new, fixed version, I hope they offer English audio.

For those who want a brown/yellow look, the Mondo provides that, but done in a much better way than the recent "restorations."

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 09, 2017, 08:43:08 PM »

Quote from: MisterLime;13947783
We also have the 4K/UHD rights to the trilogy, but decided not to release GBU on 4K/UHD, not because of the cost of producing such discs, but because we didn't want to go through this allover again. If the release ends up doing really well… ?

No thanks!

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 09, 2017, 08:53:03 PM »

Yeah, we need someone to make a serious fan edit  Wink

Agreed. At this point only the fans can do this film justice.

Make Sergio proud. Wink

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM