Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 07:42:32 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Kino Lorber 2 - Disc 4K Blu-ray 2017
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kino Lorber 2 - Disc 4K Blu-ray 2017  (Read 10862 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: August 09, 2017, 10:05:35 PM »

If someone starts a crowdfunding effort to do a decent fan edit, I will contribute. Smiley

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 09, 2017, 11:21:20 PM »

Agreed. At this point only the fans can do this film justice.

Make Sergio proud. Wink

Lil Brutto, can you please either replace your profile pic or delete it?  Right now there is a big fat ugly graphic that says that the picture is unavailable.

Thanks  Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 09, 2017, 11:28:43 PM »

If someone starts a crowdfunding effort to do a decent fan edit, I will contribute. Smiley

So would I. I am sure that many people here world. The problem is that this sory thing cannot be public, and crowdfunding efforts by definition have to be public. Needless to say, if the company that owns the rights to the movie wants to, they can bring a copyright-infringement lawsuit against whomever is doing the fan edit, particularly if discs are being sold or traded or whatever.

Of course, if the fan edit is sold/traded only to people who  have purchased an official disc  the company really shouldn't care. But they may. This thing should be done privately through emails and private messages, not publicly.

I have zero technical expertise, but I am all for contributing to a fan edit if someone wants to undertake the project.
We'd have to work out the details. I assume that it is impossible to get the color of the Mondo the Blu-ray disc without the problems that that image has. So I'd say that for the longer version, we use the image from the MGM DVD, the English mono audio (available on this Kino release and on the piss BRD from 2014. If there is any possible way to add the Frayling commentary (currently available on all BRD's but not the DVD) that would be awesome  Afro Afro

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 10, 2017, 02:47:46 AM »

I don't know, I turned the colors a bit down when watching the the 2014 disc, and I was satisfied with what I got. Very satisfied, but actually I'm not that much interested in picture quality. It's an aspect, but not the most important one for enjoying a film.

In the end it is only a matter of time and the next GBU HD-Remaster will be released, and another one, and another one. They appear faster than my need to rewatch GBU, and as I said at the moment I don't need more than I have.
And skipping the grotto scene is not the biggest task in the known universe.

And regarding this or that perfect or not so perfect fan version (aka Tijuana version), I'm pretty sure that there are lots of them already circling amongst fans.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 10, 2017, 08:07:35 AM »

It's called "rolling shutter", basically instead of each frame being scanned as one whole piece, strips of the frame are scanned in segments, resulting in a very "digital" look, and the mondo disc has many instances of the "wobbling" effect this causes. Also, each of the glue splices on the negative causes every edit to "jump".

Thanks for the technical info - very interesting Afro

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 10, 2017, 10:54:31 AM »

And regarding this or that perfect or not so perfect fan version (aka Tijuana version), I'm pretty sure that there are lots of them already circling amongst fans.
But of what quality? I think what we're talking about here is something comparable to HD.

The colors are one concern, but the actual tampering with Leone's editing is a greater worry. As Jordan Krug has shown us, all the video versions of GBU since 98 have had the sequencing of Blondie's gun-assembly scene re-worked. There are other problems as well. I, for one, am not a happy camper.

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 10, 2017, 11:45:30 AM »

Lil Brutto, can you please either replace your profile pic or delete it?  Right now there is a big fat ugly graphic that says that the picture is unavailable.

Thanks  Smiley

Fixed. Thanks.

...I assume that it is impossible to get the color of the Mondo the Blu-ray disc without the problems that that image has. So I'd say that for the longer version, we use the image from the MGM DVD, the English mono audio (available on this Kino release and on the piss BRD from 2014. If there is any possible way to add the Frayling commentary (currently available on all BRD's but not the DVD) that would be awesome  Afro Afro

A very skilled fan has already created the International Cut using the Mondo BD image as the primary source and original mono track from the MGM LD. It was released in early 2016 and is available online if you know where to look.

Project Info:

The goal of this project is to quickly recreate the International Cut/US Theatrical Cut (IC/TC) of The Good, The Bad and the Ugly in High Definition.

The 4K Blu-ray (BD) was rejected as the video source because even though it had the best detail, the colors, contrast, gamma, shadows, highlights are ruined beyond the ability to successfully fix. So the wonderful Italian Mondo BD was used instead. The movie cut is synced to the 1993 laserdisc which is the last time the IC was on video (not counting VHS). Even the 1998 DVD/LD is a restoration, incorporating shots from the Italian cut never seen in the IC.

Video:
The Italian transfer from the Mondo BD cut down to sync with the 1993 laserdisc of the International/US Theatrical cut. Additional shots from the US 4K and older Extended Edition BD.

Audio:
The PCM mono from the 1993 laserdisc in PCM 2.0 format.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 12:05:47 PM by Lil Brutto » Logged

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 10, 2017, 12:42:21 PM »

I'm sure that a lot of fans have combined the English mono from the 2014 disc with the Mondo Blu.

Also the Mondo here with German audio.

I own several versions of films which are officially not available yet, or which were for a long time not available on disc. And some which were never released anywhere.

Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

Crazy bellringer was right....

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 10, 2017, 01:15:19 PM »

But of what quality? I think what we're talking about here is something comparable to HD.

The colors are one concern, but the actual tampering with Leone's editing is a greater worry. As Jordan Krug has shown us, all the video versions of GBU since 98 have had the sequencing of Blondie's gun-assembly scene re-worked. There are other problems as well. I, for one, am not a happy camper.

Thanks for the support - just want to clarify one thing, the 98 DVD is the only one (until now) that had the reshuffled and recut version of the scene. The extended cut on blu has always had the longer Italian version of the scene. What kino did was copy the 98 DVD shot for shot, and so they replicated the mistakes of that one version. If they had literally gone one release back to laserdisc (for cutting reference) they would have avoided this issue.

uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 10, 2017, 02:16:05 PM »

".......scene in RESERVOIR DOGS:  When I first saw it in 1992 I was puzzled be a shot that cut off a head (Keitel's?) - although speaking dialogue - in the restaurant scene. I am not sure whether this was deliberate, maybe an homage to PIERROT LE FOU (TechniScope) where such a shot appears in the first 10 minutes, or whether it was due to SUPER 35 (bad framing)...."

Funny you should mention that scene!!
I was at a video store when that film came out  and I got into a big argument with the owner, also a film buff and aspiring director, about my preference for the full-frame version>
I kept yelling "his head is cut of, his head is cut off'.
He thought the framing was "great"!

go figger

« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 02:24:47 PM by uncknown » Logged

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 10, 2017, 02:22:12 PM »

Thanks for the technical info - very interesting Afro

One of the reasons films went from being PROJECTED in 2:35 to 2:39 was to hide the splice marks.
2:39 isn't wider, it's a bit narrower so it hides the splices.
brm

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 10, 2017, 06:58:02 PM »

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Good-the-Bad-and-the-Ugly-Blu-ray/175359/#Review
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Good-the-Bad-and-the-Ugly-Blu-ray/175359/#Screenshots

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 10, 2017, 07:53:55 PM »

Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

They fucked up the bonus features on the extended disc. I  don't know whether to laugh or cry.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 13, 2017, 11:48:42 PM »

Leone's movies were mishandled in so many different ways that nothing surprises me. I'm sure this release will at least meet my now tempered expectations.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 14, 2017, 06:38:14 PM »

Amazon billed me today for the pre-order that I made in June. Price was $19.99. ( The price may be the only good thing about this release  Wink ) it is expected to arrive between August 21 and August 25

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM