Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 08:47:28 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Kino Lorber 2 - Disc 4K Blu-ray 2017
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kino Lorber 2 - Disc 4K Blu-ray 2017  (Read 11032 times)
Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

Crazy bellringer was right....

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: August 16, 2017, 02:07:37 PM »

Anyone looking for the specific differences between Kino's shorter cut and the actual 1967 international cut can find them here:

http://theeditroomfloor.blogspot.ca/2017/08/the-gbu-kino-disc-has-arrived.html

uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 16, 2017, 02:31:31 PM »

I think we should start calling it the "English language version' (ELV) instead of "International cut"

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 16, 2017, 03:52:03 PM »

I think we should start calling it the "English language version' (ELV) instead of "International cut"

I understand that it gets confusing, but the 1967 version was created for all countries outside of Italy, specifically North America/England, France, Germany, and Spain. Leone even supervised the French dubbing himself.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 03:53:37 PM by Jordan Krug » Logged
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 17, 2017, 02:42:59 AM »

Does this mean all the flip cuts are in?

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 17, 2017, 02:49:54 AM »

I call it the UA version, cause UA sold it world wide except for Italy. It was not a language specific version.

So there is the Leone version, the Italian one with 178 min (without the grotto scene), and never released on DVD or Blu, and the UA version, the cut one with 162 min (instead of 161 min)

And then we have the 2 home video versions, the MGM version with also 178 min, but still different to the original Italian version, and the Italian one with 175 min.

(What we really need is in fact the Stanton cut, aka as the real deal, aka as the most reasonable one, aka as the most healthy one)

« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 02:51:05 AM by stanton » Logged

Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 17, 2017, 04:39:40 AM »

I call it the UA version, cause UA sold it world wide except for Italy. It was not a language specific version.

So there is the Leone version, the Italian one with 178 min (without the grotto scene), and never released on DVD or Blu, and the UA version, the cut one with 162 min (instead of 161 min)

And then we have the 2 home video versions, the MGM version with also 178 min, but still different to the original Italian version, and the Italian one with 175 min.

(What we really need is in fact the Stanton cut, aka as the real deal, aka as the most reasonable one, aka as the most healthy one)

Well...Leone also created the international cut, so calling the Italian cut "Leone's" makes it seem like he had nothing to do with the shorter version. The 178 minute version is usually called the "extended". As for the "Stanton", yes that sounds ideal Smiley

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 17, 2017, 05:58:33 AM »

Even if he really helped to cut the shorter version (which makes more sense than let other people do the butcher's job, if it is inevitable), his version remains the original Italian one. And calling that one an extended cut is absolutely wrong.

Problem is that somehow in that case the shorter version is not a weaker version. But, apart from the few segments, which the Stanton cut (aka the Pope's favourite version) leaves rightly out, I love every of the scenes missing in the 162 min version, and want never again watch the film without these scenes, but they are bought of course with 15 more min of film length, and films should never be longer than necessary. So this is one of the few cases in which both, the longer and the shorter version are equally perfect.

Now, what's with these flip cuts? They are all in?

« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 06:00:03 AM by stanton » Logged

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 17, 2017, 07:30:14 AM »

Anyone looking for the specific differences between Kino's shorter cut and the actual 1967 international cut can find them here:

http://theeditroomfloor.blogspot.ca/2017/08/the-gbu-kino-disc-has-arrived.html

Thanks Jordan - great work!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 17, 2017, 09:38:16 AM »

the Stanton cut (aka the Pope's favourite version)
Anyone else notice there's someone on this board who is just--how should I put it?--just a little bit too full of himself? Just a teeny bit? Anyone else see that?

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 18, 2017, 04:23:13 AM »

Don't make me responsible for what the Pope thinks and does. I'm not even catholic ...

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: August 18, 2017, 04:48:48 AM »

Anyone else notice there's someone on this board who is just--how should I put it?--just a little bit too full of himself? Just a teeny bit? Anyone else see that?

I thought this feature was explicitly required during the board's registration process.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 19, 2017, 07:15:56 PM »

I received the disc today from Amazon.

For the cover of the disc, they used the re-release white poster "for three men the Civil War wasn't hell it was practice" -  which, by the way, is a much better poster than the original release poster.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 20, 2017, 02:34:33 AM »

OK, I guess I'm the first one here who has seen (part of) the new disc.

BTW, here's Beaver http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film6/blu-ray_reviews_77/the_good_the_bad_and_the_ugly_blu-ray.htm

I watched the extended cut, until Blondie's title "The Good" comes up, just after he says, "Such ingratitude after all the times I've saved your life," which is just under 30 minutes into the film.

Then I went back and watched (much of) the same part of the movie on the MGM SE DVD, which was the first American release of the extended cut (I believe it was released in 2003 or 2004; the version I have is "The Sergio Leone Anthology" boxset from 2007, with the 3 Dollars films and DYS.)

The reason I watched that DVD was to refresh my memory of what the movie previously looked like, as a comparison to the new disc, as I have not watched the film in quite some time. I don't have two TV's side by side to compare, so I had to watch first one then the other. I chose the MGM DVD because I have long believed it probably is the best version of the movie to watch. As we've discussed extensively, the first MGM BRD had DNR and the skin tones are red; the Mondo has the "rolling shutter" issue; and the 2014 BRD is the infamous piss one. Of course, the DVD image isn't nearly as sharp as a BRD would be and it's somewhat glaring after watching BRD's but I guess that I prefer a DVD with good-looking colors to a sharp BRD with phony colors.

Anyway, bottom line is that from the portions of the disc I compared, the MGM SE DVD has more of a brown look, whereas the KL BRD has more of a golden look. (I am not certain whether or not it is as bad as the 2014 piss version I only watched that version once for about 10 seconds before turning it off in anger.) All I can say for sure is that the KL clearly has more of a golden color than the brown of the 2014 disc. Which is more accurate? I can't be certain the MGM SE DVD is my personal reference for the movie it's the first version of the movie I saw (MANY times), and I use that version when watching then movie (unless I want to hear Frayling's commentary, which is only available on the BRD's).

The very beginning, opening credits, there is a white screen, plus some red. In the KL, the "white" is actually a light blue. Very bad.

Another thing I noticed I particularly paid attention to this in the scene with Angel Eyes at Stevens's farm: The grain dots are flashing. I don't have the technical knowledge/language to describe this properly, but it's very grating. Normally, the grain dots are just THERE, on the screen; but in this movie particularly in this scene they are FLASHING.

There is one particular shot that I noticed is nicer on this film: Just after Blondie, in the loft, says, "known as 'The Rat,' " there is a shot from Blondie's eye-view looking down on the town square, with Tuco hanging from the tree surrounded by the townspeople. In that shot, with the golden color and sharpness of the KL BRD, it looks a lot better IMO than the brown/unsharp MGM DVD. But again, there's always the drawback of the DVD being not as sharp as a BRD, and we'll have to deal with that until a proper BRD if made of this film.

Bottom line: We are still waiting for a good BRD of GBU......

« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 04:15:01 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 20, 2017, 03:19:55 AM »

Drink, thanks.  Afro

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: August 20, 2017, 07:49:38 AM »

Thanks !  Afro

I'm still not buying this one.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: