Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 05:49:10 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Santa Fe Trail (1940)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Santa Fe Trail (1940)  (Read 2719 times)
As The Palaces Burn
Road Apple

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2007, 07:31:09 AM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033021/

Anyone seen Erroll Flynn's film 'The Santa Fe Trail' (1930-ish)? I watched last night and was gobsmacked by it's biggoted views. I know it's only a product of its times BUT...bloody hell. Those who have seen it may understand what I mean considering the Confederates are presented as noble and virtous while John Brown  and the abolitionist are seen as a religious fanatics. One could even argue that Browns insane appearance is an extreme take of Lincolns.I don't even know where to begin with how African American's are shown. It's hard to explain unless you've seen it. Just curious as to what other people had to say about it. It really does give 'Birth of a Nation' a run for its money. No jokes. To a certain extent I'm wondering whether it's really the first revisionist Western.Any thoughts?

Btw, nearly finished my undergrad dissertation on the political content of Leone's 'A Fistfl of Dynamite' and Damiani's 'A Bullet for the General'. Will post it online if anyone's interested in a browse?

« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 09:01:25 AM by Dust Devil » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 04:19:31 PM »

I think I saw it about a year ago,   its like "Gone with the Wind" has a lot of stuff to make you cringe.                     

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 04:32:54 PM »

Btw, nearly finished my undergrad dissertation on the political content of Leone's 'A Fistfl of Dynamite' and Damiani's 'A Bullet for the General'. Will post it online if anyone's interested in a browse?
I'm always happy to read anything that engages Leone's work critically.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 08:03:00 PM »

Will post it online if anyone's interested in a browse?

yes do so

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 10:08:35 AM »

I've bought the dvd today. Hope it's as bad as you make it out to be. Evil

« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 10:10:28 AM by titoli » Logged

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 07:06:12 PM »

Watched the movie (dubbed: though on the cover english audio was guaranteed: thieves or bunglers?). What I didn't like was the fact that the main players were cast in roles of younger people than they were at the time.
John Brown is seen as a fanatic: sure, I think he must have been to do what he did, even though his ideals were more or less noble. The movie takes a MOR stance between him and the southern view in favour of legality: it's not up to people like Brown to decide this kind of issue, says Flynn who adds though that the problem must certainly be solved. So I think that the movie is largely politically correct. The negroes, as far as hollywood movies went at the time, are not treated unfairly either. So on the whole the movie is just what you would expect from something produced in the '30s in California.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 10:54:00 PM »

RE: John Brown, here is a nice painting I have seen several times at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York

http://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/11160

John Brown may have been a radical extremist whatever, but is that worse than being pro-slavery? In this movie, he is the villain, though the movie acknowledges that he may have been doing his crazy things for a good cause.

Anyway, the movie is not very good. Nothing to do with the politics;  just not a very good movie

6/10

« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 10:03:04 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM