Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 02:54:01 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Tomas Milian R.I.P.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tomas Milian R.I.P.  (Read 1823 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2017, 04:16:37 PM »

But Milian is a weak point of Companeros, his slimey overacting is not that good for the film, but the score is a real stunner. Many scenes in Companeros belong to the best the SW had to offer. But The Merceanry is more daring and has much more substance.
stanton's true statement for March. I wonder what we can expect for April?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2017, 06:08:03 PM »

But Milian is a weak point of Companeros, his slimey overacting is not that good for the film...

You sound like Franco Nero when he was subsequently asked to appear in "Viva la muerte... tua!"  Grin

I love Milian in this. The effect of his Spanglish is brilliant and I assume his Spitaliano has a similar effect on people watching in Italian (Drink, you should note that it's not Milian's voice that your are hearing in "The Big Gundown")

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2017, 03:25:28 AM »

You sound like Franco Nero when he was subsequently asked to appear in "Viva la muerte... tua!"  Grin

I love Milian in this. The effect of his Spanglish is brilliant and I assume his Spitaliano has a similar effect on people watching in Italian (Drink, you should note that it's not Milian's voice that your are hearing in "The Big Gundown")

I always watched it in German.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2017, 09:48:03 AM »

Wow, how is the German dub? (and is there only one?). Would it be worth having even if one had to make a separate purchase after already getting the English/Italian disc?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2017, 10:00:43 AM »

Not the greatest of actors but a distinct individual with the right moves at the right times. Although he was out of focus for some time, will be sadly missed.

R.I.P.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2017, 10:30:53 AM »

Wow, how is the German dub? (and is there only one?). Would it be worth having even if one had to make a separate purchase after already getting the English/Italian disc?

The German dub? You don't speak German, do you?

There are indeed 2 dubs, a terrible one for a shorter version, and an ok but also not that good one for the uncut version. The German discs so far are not great as far as I know, but the one I have does the job for the moment. I think it is only a NTSC to Pal transfer of an older Blue Underground DVD.
A German Blu was meanwhile released, but I read some not so favorable comments about it.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2017, 03:13:37 PM »

I think it's ok to praise an actor's performance even if you only watched them dubbed by someone else, but it's a little harsh to critique someone under the same circumstances. Milian pulls off a fantastic performance here - I think Nero probably knew it at the time too!

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2017, 03:24:15 PM »

Not the greatest of actors

Who's that?

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2017, 03:46:36 PM »

I think it's ok to praise an actor's performance even if you only watched them dubbed by someone else, but it's a little harsh to critique someone under the same circumstances. Milian pulls off a fantastic performance here - I think Nero probably knew it at the time too!

I don't think so.

Milian did too often too much, but not in a way I like. I like the overacting of other actors, but rarely by Milian. Milian became worse in the Spags he made with every more Spag he made. He was good in the early days of the genre, and hard to swallow later on.
He did not impress me either in later films I saw with him. Like the one with Antonioni.

Here in Germany only people who prefer Italian genre cinema know him, the rest not. He's no Franco Nero.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2017, 08:41:31 PM »

To be honest, I never pay that much attention to actors anyway. I'm more drawn to watch things because of the creative cast behind the scenes rather than those in front of the cameras (probably like many people on this forum). Having said that, great performances by actors are often inseparable from the contributions by those behind the scenes too.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2017, 02:11:55 AM »

Yes, that's true

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2017, 10:41:21 AM »

I love Milian. I just wish he would have worked a lot more often with better directors as he did.
He overacted when directors let him do it, but even that didn't bother me: to me he came
across as a wild, hot-blooded, untamed, beautiful creature, his passion often jumped
at me when I saw him on the big screen.

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2017, 03:50:35 PM »

I love Milian. I just wish he would have worked a lot more often with better directors as he did.
He overacted when directors let him do it, but even that didn't bother me: to me he came
across as a wild, hot-blooded, untamed, beautiful creature, his passion often jumped
at me when I saw him on the big screen.

Agree, it's like the Tuco/Eli Wallach factor in GBU, some people just don't like the way Wallach portrayed Tuco, I'm sure it's the same thing with Milian.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2017, 04:41:36 PM »

Then they don't have deep red blood running through their veins but beer or motor oil Smiley.

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2017, 07:39:36 PM »

Agree, it's like the Tuco/Eli Wallach factor in GBU, some people just don't like the way Wallach portrayed Tuco, I'm sure it's the same thing with Milian.

I have never heard anyone say a negative word about Wallach as Tuco.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM