Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 04:26:47 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Devil And Daniel Webster (1941)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Devil And Daniel Webster (1941)  (Read 3097 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2009, 07:42:22 AM »

WOW! Caught this last night on TCM I've seen it once before but only from the trial to the end and almost seeing the whole thing this go around (I missed maybe 5 minutes) I was pretty blown away.

Basically its about a farmer down on his luck that sells his soul to the Devil who will return in 7 years to re negotiate the contract or collect. James Craig is farmer Jabez Stone, Jane Darwell is his mother, Ma Stone,  Anne Shirley is his wife Mary Stone, Edward Arnold is great as Daniel Webster, Simone Simon is bewitching as nanny/seductress Belle, and Walter Huston is fantastic as Mr. Scratch (The Devil).

This is one well done noir-ish and creepy film for its time, its available on Criterion, I'll have to get this. 10/10 Its alternative title is "All That Money Can Buy". Huston was nominated for the best actor in a leading role and it won an Oscar for best score. Definitely check this one out!  Afro Afro Afro

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033532/   

« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 07:47:30 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 08:25:38 AM »

lol, at first I thought you wrote (the) Devil in Miss Jones! Cheesy

I've already heard elsewhere this was a good movie, I'll try to get it. Afro

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 09:14:16 AM »

Joe, great comments, I do not disagree in any way, but please, how can you leave out a mention of Bernard Herrmann's terrific score? This is the one he did right after the one for Citizen Kane. Hate to say it, Joe, but I think maybe you're coming down with Groggy-itis? Grin

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 09:50:57 PM »

This is one well done noir-ish and creepy film for its time, its available on Criterion, I'll have to get this. 10/10 Its alternative title is "All That Money Can Buy". Huston was nominated for the best actor in a leading role and it won an Oscar for best score. Definitely check this one out!  Afro Afro Afro

I just didn't mention his name.  Wink

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 12:40:06 AM »

Love this movie. Saw it the first time as a kid and was totally creeped out by the haunting ambiance of the black and white photography. This is one of those movies that wouldn't look the same in color. It's been making the rounds on TCM for the last few months now.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 04:08:10 AM »

Yea AC I saw it the first time as a kid too and was totally creep-ed out then and that was the last time I saw it till this last TCM run,  but I only saw it from the trial in the barn to the end the first time and missed the best parts. Little did I know it reminded me of the equally creepy end of "Carnival of Souls".

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 01:41:00 PM »

Yea AC I saw it the first time as a kid too and was totally creep-ed out then and that was the last time I saw it till this last TCM run,  but I only saw it from the trial in the barn to the end the first time and missed the best parts. Little did I know it reminded me of the equally creepy end of "Carnival of Souls".

CARNIVAL OF SOULS is another eerie one, CJ. Haven't seen that one in years.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 06:11:27 AM »

It took me almost 7 years to finally watch it, you figure. Cheesy

Yeah, it's a pretty good old school morality tale, a bit naive in places (due to its age I presume) but strong in both atmosphere and performances (slightly over-acted in places, but nothing serious). Great photography, and actually pretty decent visual effects too: when Scratch catches the axe thrown at him, for instance.

A curiosity: did you notice Jabez and Mary sleep in separate beds, although married? Smiley

8.5/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 06:42:22 AM »

A curiosity: did you notice Jabez and Mary sleep in separate beds, although married? Smiley

I have read once that the Hays code forbade to show a double bed.

Question is was that really handled that strict in old films, or were there exceptions?

At least mostly you see only these separated beds.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 12:37:26 PM by stanton » Logged

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 07:52:42 AM »

To tell you the truth, this very moment I can't remember any bed at all. Undecided

What about noirs?

Moorman
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 12:17:53 PM »

I purchased the Criterion Blu Ray of this after seeing it on their website. I took a flyer on this.  I decided to purchase this based on the review of the film and the fact that Walter Huston is in it.  The cinematography was excellent. The directing and plot were very good. The acting was superb.  I usually don't get into movies with any type of "magic" type effects, but the director didn't over do it. He set the perfect tone for the film that made the special effects FIT into the movie.  The only thing i didn't like was ( spoiler alert), the speech at the ending by Daniel Webster. It fit the movie, being that Webster was a political figure, but i wanted more of a basic human moral element to his speech, instead of the political overtones of the speech he gave.

Overall, its a great movie.  I rate this one a 7 out of 10...

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2017, 01:15:18 PM »

I purchased the Criterion Blu Ray of this after seeing it on their website. I took a flyer on this.  I decided to purchase this based on the review of the film and the fact that Walter Huston is in it.  The cinematography was excellent. The directing and plot were very good. The acting was superb.  I usually don't get into movies with any type of "magic" type effects, but the director didn't over do it. He set the perfect tone for the film that made the special effects FIT into the movie.  The only thing i didn't like was ( spoiler alert), the speech at the ending by Daniel Webster. It fit the movie, being that Webster was a political figure, but i wanted more of a basic human moral element to his speech, instead of the political overtones of the speech he gave.

Overall, its a great movie.  I rate this one a 7 out of 10...

Check out Carnival Of Souls, if you haven't.

Moorman
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2017, 01:27:11 PM »

Check out Carnival Of Souls, if you haven't.

Ok. Thanks for that. I'm gonna look it up now and see what its about. I've gotten to the point where if a movie looks good, i go ahead and order it without waiting to watch it on tv or finding it on Youtube, etc.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2017, 05:26:18 PM »

Ok. Thanks for that. I'm gonna look it up now and see what its about. I've gotten to the point where if a movie looks good, i go ahead and order it without waiting to watch it on tv or finding it on Youtube, etc.

It's sort of a Twilight Zone Noir cult film. 

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM