Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 20, 2018, 05:55:07 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Face Behind the Mask (1941)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: The Face Behind the Mask (1941)  ( 71 )
moorman
Bandido

« : June 15, 2018, 05:36:19 PM »

I'm a huge Peter Lorre fan so I had to watch this.  This was a very good film.  Without going into spoilers, the plot is basically about Lorre who comes to New York as a immigrant.  He is a jack of all trades but particularly likes watchmaking.  He is hurt in a hotel fire and becomes impoverished.  He mets another homeless man named Dinky ( George E. Stone) and from there the film really takes off.  Its a moving gangster noir film with character studies you don't normally find in these genres.   Lorre as always is on top of  his game here.  I rate this a solid 8 out of 10....

« : July 08, 2018, 06:19:09 PM moorman »
greenbudgie
Gunslinger

« #1 : June 16, 2018, 02:10:29 AM »

I reckon that this is Lorre's best B picture. I think that he had to hit the bottle to get through it. Perhaps he had difficulty dealing with the breakneck speed at which the film had to be made. It has some shadows of the noir that was yet to come. Good crime stuff which I'll give 8/10 also.

moorman
Bandido

« #2 : June 16, 2018, 02:27:06 PM »

I reckon that this is Lorre's best B picture. I think that he had to hit the bottle to get through it. Perhaps he had difficulty dealing with the breakneck speed at which the film had to be made. It has some shadows of the noir that was yet to come. Good crime stuff which I'll give 8/10 also.

I've read that its become a cult favorite. I can see why. Its a very underrated film.  I don't think there is a SMOOTHER villian in film than Peter Lorre.  His transformation in this film from a innocent good guy to the head of a gang was pretty good.

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines