Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 13, 2018, 09:19:52 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Asphalt Jungle (1950)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2]
: The Asphalt Jungle (1950)  ( 3109 )
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #15 : March 13, 2018, 02:27:05 AM »

Remember what Doc says: One way or another, we all work for our vices. His vice is young girls. He worked for that, and he got caught because of that.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
kjrwe
Gunslinger

« #16 : March 15, 2018, 10:15:22 PM »

Remember what Doc says: One way or another, we all work for our vices. His vice is young girls. He worked for that, and he got caught because of that.

Exactly. He should have kept running instead of stopping to help out that girl with the nickels.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #17 : March 15, 2018, 11:43:30 PM »

Exactly. He should have kept running instead of stopping to help out that girl with the nickels.

That would miss the whole point.

He is working for his vice. He worked, met his vice, and his vice tripped him up. Perfect.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #18 : March 16, 2018, 12:22:54 PM »

He is working for his vice. He worked, met his vice, and his vice tripped him up. Perfect.
This is a neat summary of the D&D story, too.  >:D

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #19 : March 16, 2018, 03:33:00 PM »

This is a neat summary of the D&D story, too.  >:D

Now that you mention it, my company just hired a new babe with the prettiest blue eyes and I have to figure out how to take care of business without fucking things up at work ... Maybe Iíll just have to keep things drama-free and marry her  :-\

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #20 : March 16, 2018, 05:16:45 PM »

Maybe Iíll just have to keep things drama-free and marry her  :-\
Yeah, hurry, before she finds out what you're really like.  >:D

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
moorman
Gunslinger

« #21 : April 19, 2018, 05:08:34 PM »

The more i think about this film, the more i like it.  Its a great film.

moorman
Gunslinger

« #22 : November 07, 2018, 11:22:21 AM »

Emmerich wanted to double cross them so he could have all the money for himself.

Doc's arrest was a bit odd. It's almost like he WANTED to get arrested. I think he knew that he wasn't going to get very far, so he decided to enjoy himself a bit before getting hauled away. He liked young ladies and it pleased him to be able to give that young lady some money for the jukebox.

Not sure what else Emmerich really could have done with the body. He didn't have many options.

I received my Criterion DVD copy this week.  Its just FLAWLESS.  The film just pops here.  My second viewing cleared up the things I was wondering about above. I don't believe Doc wanted to be arrested.  I just think he got caught up in the moment of watching the dancing.  It was the one weakness he had like you said, women.  As far as Emmerich's decision to dump the body.  It wasn't that act in itself that got him caught, it was the note inside the guy's pocket linking Emmerich to him.

On another note. Now that I have seen Rififi I can compare the two.  I really hate to because it almost blasphamous, lol but I will.  Rififi and the Asphalt Jungle are very similar in plot.  I feel that Rififi takes every element of The Asphalt Jungle and just does it waaay better.  Now there is nothing wrong with the latter because I did rate it a 9.5, its just that Rififi just does everything soo much better.  The character development, the story, everything about Rififi takes what the Asphalt Jungle did but took it to a higher level.  Its a much more raw and gritty film also which I find in all the French and Italian gangster/noir films I have screened.

In the Asphalt Jungle the only character that really had a lot of development in my opinion was Emmerich.  I think this was because his character was central to the whole heist coming apart.  Doc's character was good but most of his development was based on reputation.  You got to SEE Emmerich and his sliminess in action.  The same with Dix.  His background was more developed than Doc but you still had to base a lot of it off reputation.

I can't think of one film without the other because they are similar and are both great films.

kjrwe
Gunslinger

« #23 : Yesterday at 01:11:12 AM »

One thing about the note in that assistant's pocket.....the guy was dumped in the river. Wouldn't the note have gotten all wet and therefore be unreadable?

moorman
Gunslinger

« #24 : Yesterday at 05:06:54 AM »

One thing about the note in that assistant's pocket.....the guy was dumped in the river. Wouldn't the note have gotten all wet and therefore be unreadable?
Then where did  they  find it?

: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines