Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2018, 09:03:04 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  What whodunits did you see/hear/read?
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
: What whodunits did you see/hear/read?  ( 11065 )
kjrwe
Gunslinger

« #120 : February 09, 2018, 11:55:50 PM »

I hope you'll still mention which 1930s thrillers you saw, even if they aren't whodunits. I admit that some of the films I've mentioned aren't whodunits, like Midnight Mystery. It's just that some of them are isolated location mysteries, with secret passages and all that. So I think of them as whodunits, even though they aren't. That probably makes zero sense. But anyway, I'd like to know what you've been watching.  :)

greenbudgie
Gunslinger

« #121 : February 10, 2018, 03:06:46 AM »

I know what you mean by isolated location mysteries as I like them as well. These are the 1930s thrillers that I've seen recently with their current position number on my crime list:-

33. When London Sleeps (1932) - great kidnapping and chase scenes in second half.

93. Rome Express (1932) - sinister characters on board a train where a murder takes place.

94. Dusty Ermine (1936) - counterfeit money gang including the eccentric Margaret Rutherford.

As we've entered a new page on this thread I thought I would just put another link to my crime list for a more easy access for anyone wanting to check up on the films I mention on here. Please click on below:-

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls027351985/

kjrwe
Gunslinger

« #122 : February 14, 2018, 01:36:03 AM »

Thanks for your link. By the way, have you seen any version of Seven Keys to Baldpate? The novel was written by Earl Derr Biggers, author of the Charlie Chan mysteries. Lots of Chan films out there, but Seven Keys to Baldpate is his most-filmed story.

It's about a mystery author who has a bet going with someone: he is to write a mystery story in 24 hours in a very isolated inn called Baldpate Inn. Once he arrives at the inn, some unusual things start to occur.

Of the versions I've seen, I'd rank them as follows:

1929 - my favourite and I watched it again just now.

1917 - tied for second place.

1935 - I've never actually been able to finish this version. It's unusually dull for a 1930s mystery.

1947 - a film noir take on the story. I felt that the main character was made to be a bit too Ellery Queen-ish in this version.

1983 - titled House of the Long Shadows - tied for second place. For an 80s film, they did a VERY good job of this mystery. Supporting actor Vincent Price steals the show here. This one's just as good as the 1917 film.

If you see these films, you'll notice two different "types" of endings. The one used in the 1929 film is the one I prefer.  It actually makes more sense for this type of story.

greenbudgie
Gunslinger

« #123 : February 16, 2018, 03:09:25 AM »

The only Baldpate film I've seen is the 1983. I'm glad you like Vincent Price in it. It's so like 'The Old Dark House.' An aged family of eccentrics and a family member confined to the attic for 40 years.

Thanks K for rating the earlier Baldpate films in order of your preference. I must see them. And some Charlie Chan too. Which Charlie Chan do you like best? Warner Oland, Sidney Toler or one of the others?

kjrwe
Gunslinger

« #124 : February 17, 2018, 12:16:27 AM »

I don't have a favourite Chan actor. All the ones I've seen did a good job:

Warner Oland

Sidney Toler

the actor from Eran Trece

Peter Sellers from Murder by Death

....and I'm sure that I've forgotten someone here.

greenbudgie
Gunslinger

« #125 : February 17, 2018, 02:44:44 AM »

I've seen mostly Warner Oland as Charlie Chan. Some others who have played CC are J. Carroll Nash in a TV series. Peter Ustinov in a one-off in 1981 I think. Also there was an actor from the silent days. Have you seen any of those?

I can remember someone raving about Sidney Toler as their favourite Charlie Chan. So I hope to get to see some of his sometime.

kjrwe
Gunslinger

« #126 : February 19, 2018, 12:25:27 AM »

Nope, I haven't seen any of the more modern Chan films (like from the 70s on), nor any of the TV shows.

By the way, I've been listening to some of the Ellery Queen radio plays. Are you familiar with any of those? I especially like the Ellery Queen minute mysteries.

greenbudgie
Gunslinger

« #127 : February 27, 2018, 03:12:39 AM »

I'm ashamed to say that I've never seen any of the Ellery Queen stuff. He's one of the detectives that doesn't seem to have ever taken off over here.

I forgot to say on your previous post about 'Murder By Death.' Where Peter Sellers parodies the Charlie Chan character. I really like Eileen Brennan in that. She's also good in a noir spoof. 'The Cheap Detective. Noir fans should love that one. Sorting out which classic noirs they are parodying in various parts of the film.

kjrwe
Gunslinger

« #128 : March 03, 2018, 01:33:02 AM »

In Murder by Death, the character played by Peter Sellers is a spoof of Charlie Chan.

And I hope that you'll give Ellery Queen a fair chance - books, movies, TV shows, radio plays.  :) Lots to choose from.  :)

greenbudgie
Gunslinger

« #129 : March 06, 2018, 06:05:22 AM »

Thanks K for the Ellery Queen recommendations. I'm hoping that Talking Pictures are going to show some in the future as they have some really good crime films and series on there.

Last night they started showing 'The Edgar Wallace Mystery Theatre' series of films. I don't know if he is an author that you like? He did the story for 'The Terror' (1938) which I know you are a fan of. The first EW film last night was 'Urge To Kill' (1960). I've just given it a 7/10 rating on IMDb. It's about a serial killer who tries to divert the blame for his murders onto a vulnerable man who lives in his own fantasy world. Good story.

kjrwe
Gunslinger

« #130 : March 09, 2018, 12:31:02 AM »

I've tried to read some Edgar Wallace novels a few years ago and found them a bit plodding, but some of the film adaptations which I've seen (1930s) are enjoyable, such as The Terror.

I think Before Dawn (1933) is based on one of his stories, too. I can't recall now. I should go back and see what I wrote on this thread last year.... ha ha.  ;D

By the way, if you want a lighthearted 1930s mystery to watch, I recommend The Mad Miss Manton, starring Henry Fonda and Barbara Stanwyck. Anyone here familiar with that one?

greenbudgie
Gunslinger

« #131 : March 09, 2018, 03:19:49 AM »

I've just checked that 'Before Dawn' (1933) is based on an Edgar Wallace story. Later on I'll backtrack this thread and see what you wrote about EW.

I haven't seen 'The Mad Miss Manton' yet. I like Barbara Stanwyck. Talking Pictures are going to show her in 'The Strange Love of Martha Ivers' next month. I hope they have a good print of that film. I've got it on DVD with a poor picture quality. If I remember rightly you're a fan of this pic. I'll be back to report on here after I've seen it on Talking Pictures.

kjrwe
Gunslinger

« #132 : March 13, 2018, 12:41:56 AM »

I'm very much a fan of The Strange Love of Martha Ivers. One of my favourite noirs, for sure.  :)

XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

« #133 : March 13, 2018, 03:06:55 AM »

I'm very much a fan of The Strange Love of Martha Ivers. One of my favourite noirs, for sure.  :)

Add me to the list of fans of Martha Ivers as well, great movie... Still waiting for a good blu-ray release of it.

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
kjrwe
Gunslinger

« #134 : March 15, 2018, 10:13:59 PM »

I have a DVD copy of it, which I like. I own no blu-rays.

: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines