Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 12:29:31 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  What whodunits did you see/hear/read?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What whodunits did you see/hear/read?  (Read 3771 times)
kjrwe
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2017, 06:35:50 PM »

Watching in occasional sitdowns the complete A Nero Wolfe Mystery TV Series (2000) originally on A&E Television, with Timothy Hutton, Maury Chaykin, and Colin Fox. Very entertaining, check it out.

I've seen some episodes of it. Very stylish...they sure paid close attention to period detail! The soundtrack is absolutely amazing, too.

Unfortunately, the stories themselves aren't that interesting. I've never been a fan of Rex Stout work. Even the finest acting couldn't save the storylines.

Besides, from what I remember of the series, there was something which they did with the episodes which made it too easy to figure out who the criminal is. Spoilers ahead.......... I think it had something to do with the women the assistant was involved with. If memory serves me right, if he showed an interest, she was either killed off or she turned out to be the killer. Something like that. This is poor storytelling.

Still, I appreciate the fact that they paid so much attention to the costumes, hairdos, cinematography, and especially the soundtrack. Not many TV series have a memorable soundtrack.

kjrwe
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2017, 02:40:30 AM »

Currently watching some of the Torchy Blane films from the 30s. Fun mysteries about a feisty reporter who get involved with solving the crimes.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2017, 04:13:15 AM »

I always seem to associate those two films with each other. Both from the same year, both stylish thrillers with a heavy emphasis on cinematography & music, both with plenty of stylish ladies clothes to admire....

But The Pink Panther is a slapstick comedy, and not much of a thriller. But yes, the girls are pretty.

The companion film to Charade is Donen's Arabesque (1966). Less good cast, but also fun to watch.

kjrwe
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2017, 06:20:32 PM »

But The Pink Panther is a slapstick comedy, and not much of a thriller. But yes, the girls are pretty.

The companion film to Charade is Donen's Arabesque (1966). Less good cast, but also fun to watch.

I think that The Pink Panther is a comedy-thriller.

Thanks for the heads up on the companion film. I hadn't heard of it until now.

kjrwe
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2017, 06:29:18 PM »

In the next few days, I plan on watching a couple more of the Torchy Blane films, along with some early 1930s British mysteries/thrillers:

The Mystery of Mr. X: a serial killer is on the loose, and his/her criminal acts interfere with those of a professional thief's.

The Ghost Camera: a series of pictures help two young sleuths get to the bottom of a murder-mystery.

Charlie Chan in London: I've already seen it a couple of times recently, and reviewed it here. This film always makes me think of Agatha Christie mysteries - isolated mansion, a killer who likely isn't the one in jail for the crime, blackmail, a detective who is smarter than the local cops, etc.

The Shadow: this one also makes me think of early 30s Agatha Christie mysteries. In this case, it'a a serial blackmailer who is on the loose, and his/her actions have led to some suicides. An isolated mansion and possible red herrings are also involved.

The Terror: a couple of thieves are thrown in jail for 10 years for the crime and they want to seek revenge on the anonymous boss who hired them (and who turned them in). This takes them to an isolated mansion, in which murder takes place. Great secret passage/room in this one!

Oh, if only more Agatha Christie mysteries had been filmed in the early thirties....wishful thinking......................

greenbudgie
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2017, 04:22:04 AM »

It's some time since I saw Warner Orland's Charlie Chan films. I think that 'In London' is supposed to be the most popular. I like him 'Werewolf Of London' and 'Shanghai Express.'

kjrwe
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2017, 07:04:38 PM »

It's some time since I saw Warner Orland's Charlie Chan films. I think that 'In London' is supposed to be the most popular. I like him 'Werewolf Of London' and 'Shanghai Express.'

The only ones I've seen recently are The Black Camel, CC in London, and Eran Trece. The others I haven't seen in about 3 or 4 years. Time for a rewatch, for sure!

greenbudgie
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2017, 02:46:52 AM »

Just to let you now that I have bought a whole load of books from a charity shop. They are all from a series presented by the Crime Mystery Guild in the 1960s. I can't say that I have heard of any of the authors but at first glance they look to be a selection of reprints of whodunits and chase thrillers. So that's my Sunday mornings sorted for the rest of the year and probably beyond.

Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2017, 11:19:40 AM »

Greenbudgie, can you name a few authors? Just out of interest.

Jessica Rabbit
"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
kjrwe
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2017, 09:27:05 PM »

Just to let you now that I have bought a whole load of books from a charity shop. They are all from a series presented by the Crime Mystery Guild in the 1960s. I can't say that I have heard of any of the authors but at first glance they look to be a selection of reprints of whodunits and chase thrillers. So that's my Sunday mornings sorted for the rest of the year and probably beyond.

Wow! Sounds great!  Smiley  Afro

Please keep us posted about what you've been reading!

Enjoy all that literature!

Cheers.  Smiley

greenbudgie
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2017, 03:38:20 AM »

Greenbudgie, can you name a few authors? Just out of interest.

I haven't got the books handy with me at the moment Jessica. I will put the full list of authors on tomorrow. I do know there are some Scottish authors among them and I think one author was also a TV presenter back in the day.

greenbudgie
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2017, 03:11:58 AM »

I haven't got the books handy with me at the moment Jessica. I will put the full list of authors on tomorrow. I do know there are some Scottish authors among them and I think one author was also a TV presenter back in the day.

Here are the authors from my charity shop purchase the other day. And the number of titles by the author when there are more than one:-

Jeffrey Ashford
Jay Barbette
Richard Butler
Guy Compton
Harry Hossent 2
Bill Knox 2
Ed McBain
Robert McLeod 2
Hugh McCutcheon
Allan McKinnock
Peter Malloch
W. Murdoch Duncan 4
Gerald Sindstadt

I've started on 'The Mugger' by Ed McBain. It is an 87th Precinct novel from 1956. It's about the search for a disguised mugger who bows to his female victims.

Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2017, 08:10:30 AM »

Greenbudgie, I must say I only know Ed McBain who's obviously good. I think I read them all at some time. Happy reading.

Jessica Rabbit
"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
greenbudgie
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2017, 03:09:34 AM »

I am enjoying 'The Mugger' Jessica. Mostly those authors are British and mainly Scottish at that so perhaps not so well known as Ed McBain.

kjrwe
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2017, 12:02:24 AM »

I am enjoying 'The Mugger' Jessica. Mostly those authors are British and mainly Scottish at that so perhaps not so well known as Ed McBain.

Thanks for all this information! Enjoy!  Smiley
 Afro

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM