Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2019, 08:18:21 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  What whodunits did you see/hear/read?
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12
: What whodunits did you see/hear/read?  ( 17860 )
kjrwe
Gunslinger

« #135 : March 26, 2018, 09:15:37 PM »

I'm wrapping up my whodunit viewing. Over the summer I'll mostly be watching comedies and dramas.

Here I'd like to call people's attention to a wonderful film from the late 1930s...I can't remember if I've already done so on this thread....The Witness Vanishes. If you can find it, enjoy! I love the twist at the end.

kjrwe
Gunslinger

« #136 : April 18, 2018, 10:24:15 PM »

The ones I've been watching lately are:

One Frightened Night

The Witness Vanishes

The Black Doll

If you can find them, I recommend you check them out. All are from the thirties.

greenbudgie
Gunslinger

« #137 : April 21, 2018, 02:23:04 AM »

I've just watched 'The Black Doll' (1938). Thanks for the recommendation K.

The picture quality is good. A little bit noir-looking in some scenes. Esteban is a creepy-looking butler. Good rainstorm sequences. I thought it was creepy and funny. A little bit in 'The Cat and the Canary' mould. Anymore like this , please let me know.

XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

« #138 : April 21, 2018, 07:21:30 AM »

I am quite enjoying the Australian TV series Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, based on the books by Kerry Greenwood. It takes place in Melbourne, Australia in the late 20s, with wealthy flapper & amateur sleuth Phryne Fisher (Essie Davis) getting herself involved in various murder mysteries (duh)... It looks gorgeous, it's entertaining and fun, and even tho it's fairly lighthearted it still manages to touch upon subjects like drug abuse, racism and religious issues (never in a very grave/in-your-face manner tho). I can recommend it :) It's on Netflix here, but there are also DVD's etc...

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #139 : April 21, 2018, 12:30:04 PM »

I am quite enjoying the Australian TV series Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, based on the books by Kerry Greenwood. It takes place in Melbourne, Australia in the late 20s, with wealthy flapper & amateur sleuth Phryne Fisher (Essie Davis) getting herself involved in various murder mysteries (duh)... It looks gorgeous, it's entertaining and fun, and even tho it's fairly lighthearted it still manages to touch upon subjects like drug abuse, racism and religious issues (never in a very grave/in-your-face manner tho). I can recommend it :) It's on Netflix here, but there are also DVD's etc...

yes i've watched these also, it's not bad.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
greenbudgie
Gunslinger

« #140 : April 22, 2018, 02:31:41 AM »

I reckon that the Miss Fisher series is excellent too. Interesting characters. A good sense of the 1920s styles, clothes and music all combine to make it seem authentic. 9/10.

Another Australian whodunit series I've seen is 'Mr and Mrs Murder.' They're cleaners who are always coming across murders. A young niece tags along and usually gets the vital clue before the adults. Fair stuff which I wouldn't mind watching again. 6/10.

kjrwe
Gunslinger

« #141 : April 30, 2018, 10:01:20 PM »

Thanks for the replies, folks. I had trouble replying to the posts about a week ago because the forums were down.

Anyhow, I haven't seen this Australian series.

As for more films like "The Black Doll", I'm not sure exactly what you mean, greenbudgie. Do you mean more of these isolated house mysteries?

greenbudgie
Gunslinger

« #142 : May 01, 2018, 02:11:39 AM »

Yes K. Anything similar to 'The Black Doll.' Isolated houses. Creepy Looking servants. Sheltering from the elements. Thunderstorms. A little bit of black magic/voodoo if possible.

It's good to get a email from this site again this morning. I'm pleased it's up and running again.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #143 : May 01, 2018, 03:07:39 AM »

kjrwe & greenbudgie, did I ever ask you two if you've ever seen a film called Zero Effect? Its a take off on Sherlock Holmes and my wife loves it?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
greenbudgie
Gunslinger

« #144 : May 01, 2018, 03:19:44 AM »

I haven't seen that one Cigar Joe. I haven't seen it in my Sherlock Holmes book that includes pastiches of Sherlock Holmes. So perhaps the author hasn't picked up on the similarities. I'll check it out on IMDb.

kjrwe
Gunslinger

« #145 : May 10, 2018, 11:50:55 PM »

Nope, haven't seen Zero Effect.

To greenbudgie, I'll try to come up with a list another time. For now, I suggest you look at the films which I've reviewed on this thread. Many of them will meet your criteria.

morrison-dylan-fan
Bandido

« #146 : May 12, 2018, 09:57:33 AM »

Finally Sunday (1983) 8

Spoilers:

Seeing an excellent double bill of The Story of Adele H and Pocket Money,I took a look at François Truffaut other credits. Finding that fellow auteur Robert Bresson had made his last movie (the very good L'Argent) in 1983,I was sad to find that Truffaut had also made his last production in the same year,which led to me paying my respects to both film makers.

View on the film:

Making his last ever image being children playing around/kicking a camera lens, (which could be seen as a metaphor of the New Wavers kicking cinema in whichever direction they wanted) film maker François Truffaut is joined by long-time co-writers Suzanne Schiffman & Jean Aurel,and cinematographer Néstor Almendros for a slick final return to Film Noir. Displaying his love of Hitchcock, Truffaut and Aurel conclude their experimentation of tracking shots with elegant pans along Vercel's safe-house,and walls glazed in sharp black and white shadows building anticipation to brief glimpses of the killer.

Going for a much lighter mood than his past Film Noir's, Truffaut cross-stitches Noir with a "Caper" lightness, reeling in visits to the cinema, a cheeky elf outfit for Becker and Georges Delerue's score giving a jaunty swagger to Becker and Vercel. Spreading photos of the crimes Vercel is accused of across the screen, the writers do extremely well in their adaptation of Charles "Dead Calm" Williams book never feeling heavy,with the dialogue having the sparkling quality of the Caper genre,which allows for the couples run to solve the case to have a cheeky playful mood. Joining her husband for the second,and final time,Fanny Ardant gives an excellent performance as Becker,with Ardant injecting a wry sense of humour in Becker's exchanges with Jean-Louis Trintignant's stressed-out Vercel, and showing a real relish in wearing Truffaut's last Femme Fatale jacket.

greenbudgie
Gunslinger

« #147 : May 14, 2018, 01:18:47 AM »

The signal on my TV has been atrocious just lately. So I've turned to DVDs and the radio.

Last week I watched Margaret Rutherford in the 4 Miss Marple comedies. I like that her and the librarian are whodunit fans. She's got a huge collection of murder mysteries at home. Mr Stringer wheels her along on a library ladder to find the right book. I picture you K with bookcases full of whodunits.

I've tried to listen to an oriental detective called Inspector Chen on the radio. It just doesn't have the atmosphere of the old murder mysteries.

greenbudgie
Gunslinger

« #148 : May 14, 2018, 02:01:42 AM »

I've just published another crime-related list on IMDb so I thought that I would give a link to it on here. It's a list that gives film poster depictions of people behind bars from 1920 to 2016. They're in release date order so anyone can easily find their preferred era easily. Any fans of the prison film genre please click on below to see if your favourites are included:-

https://www.imcom/list/ls026279558/db.

greenbudgie
Gunslinger

« #149 : May 14, 2018, 02:07:36 AM »

My link doesn't seemed to have worked so I will try again. I hope I have better luck this time:-

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls026279558/

: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines