Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2020, 04:08:43 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Keoma (1976)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
: Keoma (1976)  ( 50994 )
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

« #45 : December 31, 2005, 02:54:46 AM »

Don't forget guys in the UK that Keoma is on at 11.15pm New Years Day which is late enough for eveyone to get over their hangovers tommorow!!
I think from Monday everyone should start lobbying ITV4 like mad for more,to make sure we don't have to wait another 25 years for a sw season!!

indio
Gunslinger

just a son of a bitch

« #46 : January 01, 2006, 02:12:33 AM »

i've been doing that and i will keep on until they do it.

That could just be cannon fire.
Christopher

« #47 : January 01, 2006, 03:33:43 PM »

I liked Keoma a lot too. I watched the interview with Franco Nero and he says it's one of his favorites, which is understandable, even though I haven't seen a lot of Nero movies yet.

I can see how Mannaja could have been influenced by this movie, but I'm not sure if the makers could have seen this movie before starting Mannaja. I would rate both movies high, though. I hadn't noticed that the music was done by the same guys as Mannaja until I was watching that interview with Nero on the Keoma disc. I don't mind the music in the movie, though at times I guess it doesn't sound so great to me. But I can listen to just about anything, so it didn't bother me or interupt my enjoyment of the movie.

lemonkey
Road Apple

« #48 : January 01, 2006, 04:02:55 PM »

Errr .... is it. Really ..... Hmmmm

Why did they show clips of Django when advertising the series of films, because I don't actually remember ITV4 showing it.

Damn thought they might of put on the Great Silence.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #49 : January 02, 2006, 02:19:26 AM »

Lemonkey,Django was the first sw itv4 showed out of a total season of nine.
Perhaps we can get itv4 to show Great Silence in the next sw season if we can all rally together and email itv4 enough times!

lemonkey
Road Apple

« #50 : January 02, 2006, 04:10:52 AM »

Thanks Banjo.

Right Ok.... must have missed Django. Good job I already have it on DVD.

So from what I remember this is what ITV4 have shown.

Django
Django Kill
Vengeance
My Name Is Trinity
My Name is Nobody
Texas Adios
Bullet for the General
The Big Gundown
Keoma

Thanks ITV4 would have never seen some of these classics otherwise.

Hopefully if there is a next time they could show The Great Silence, Red Sun, the Sabata Trilogy, Run Man Run, A Man called Blade and Let's Go & Kill, Comrades.

The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

« #51 : January 02, 2006, 07:47:10 AM »

That was the Grand Duel 'Big Showdown' not Gundown on christmas day.

Nice to see Keoma again. Terrible quality thou, yellowed image and the image was a little jumpy.
Must of been from the R2 of last year.

End of the Spag season ITV4?

Smoker: starts banging his knife and fork on the table. "more, more, more!!" 

« : January 02, 2006, 02:53:41 PM The Smoker »

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #52 : January 02, 2006, 08:01:54 AM »

I was quite surprised about Alex Cox didn't think too much of Keoma mainly because he sees the plot as a rehash of Django.While there are similarities between Django and Keoma-the apocalyptic look and atmosphere,both heros returning from Civil War to aid a woman in troulble and the revenge themes,there are enough differences in Keomas storyline and style to make it as interesting as Django.Why didn't Cox mention the innovation of the scenes combining Keomas past flashbacks with the present and also the influence of Peckinpah in the shootouts?
Django was influenced by FOD and Yojimbo with the hero caught between two warring factions and involving stolen gold.Keoma involved the hero coming to the aid of a plague ridden town and ridding it of a tyrant and his three half brothers-enough differences there i think!
Its very easy to knock a western for using a hackneyed plot but the Americans had run out of ideas by the early 1960's and its not surprising the Italians were also struggling by the time of the mid 1970's.
Alex Cox was also less than impressed about Castellari's Jonathan of the Bears from 1993 but rather than another Django rehash this entertaining movie is more influenced by Costners Dances With Wolves and recent green/conservation issues and succeeded as such.
Amusingly apart from mentioning the Leonard Cohen influence on the soundtrack he didn't comment on whether he thought the music was good or bad!!

indio
Gunslinger

just a son of a bitch

« #53 : January 02, 2006, 11:46:45 AM »

i thought exactly the same banjo, but i also don't care what cox's thinks its still one of my favs.

That could just be cannon fire.
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

« #54 : January 02, 2006, 04:55:38 PM »

Didn't get to see this A) I was in Disneyland and B) I don't much like Keoma. I agree with banjo though that its technical merits should be noted.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #55 : September 20, 2006, 07:33:57 PM »

I just ordered Keoma starring Frank Nero and Woody Strode. I read up on it and it sounded good. Who here has seen it, and if so, what's your honest opinion? Where does it rank in the spaghetti western genre?

« : September 20, 2006, 07:47:38 PM TucumcariBound65 »

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Silenzio
Bounty Killer

« #56 : September 20, 2006, 07:56:10 PM »

I just ordered Keoma starring Frank Nero and Woody Strode. I read up on it and it sounded good. Who here has seen it, and if so, what's your honest opinion? Where does it rank in the spaghetti western genre?

I thought it was good . . . . . but I actually remember being a little disappointed by it. It's been too long since I've seen it, so I can't leave an in-depth review.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #57 : September 20, 2006, 08:58:11 PM »

Yeah, I can't wait to see it though. I love the spaghetti western genre. They're just fun, kick ass movies!

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Silenzio
Bounty Killer

« #58 : September 20, 2006, 08:59:48 PM »

Yeah, I can't wait to see it though. I love the spaghetti western genre. They're just fun, kick ass movies!

I totally agree. Unfortunately, the other day, I saw a spaghetti western that was not fun or kick ass. It was called Four of the Apocalypse. Avoid that one.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #59 : September 20, 2006, 09:37:00 PM »

Keoma is in the top 20, it has an irritating score to some people but it doesn't bother me at all.

<maybe spoilers>

I'm starting to think its more on the lines of an avenging spirit or something other worldly sort of film sort of like my alternative take on OUTITW.

It starts off and ends in a war scared ghost town and has a witch that appears here and there.

The whole setting otherwise looks like the high plains and Rocky Mountian Front Range just as it looks in the State of Montana.

It goes a bit overboard in its homage to Peckinpah's "ballets de mort", but its an enjoyable flick Franco Nero's charater is kick ass.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines