Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2019, 10:56:11 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Keoma (1976)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
: Keoma (1976)  ( 44838 )
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

« #75 : January 20, 2007, 06:56:52 AM »

The Film I love, the score  :'(

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

« #76 : January 20, 2007, 08:49:31 AM »

ABSOLUTELY LURVE THE MUSICAL SCORE!!! O0

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

« #77 : January 20, 2007, 01:09:31 PM »

I found it a bit odd upon first viewing but it is a very well done haunting score used to tell the story in a most unusual way.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #78 : May 25, 2007, 03:47:11 AM »

Leone Admirer's review from his SW Virgins Guide:-

Keoma

Keoma is described in the acompanying featurette on the DVD as an experiment, and the film does show this.  There are elements in the film that work really well and makes it an interesting and an enjoyable sequence. However there are some elements that do not work at all and I think the much despised score has something to with that.
     Keoma (Franco Nero), a half breed, returns to his home town after fighting in the civil war. He finds that his home town is being ruled and slowly poisoned by ex-confederate raider Caldwell (Donald O'Brien.) He also discovers that his three brothers have joined forces with Cordwell and want to run Keoma out of town. Keoma teams up with his fathers former ranch hand George (Woody Strode) to try and break their icy grip.
    The film's story is interesting and the twists and turns the character make, though they may be not unexpected, help to give the story an enjoyable quality. The film though for me is more of style over substance. The visuals of this film seem to what Enzo G. Castellari has concentrated on. It seems he focussed on the idea of the western being a giant play or tragedy being played out against the backdrop of the west. A great example of this is when during a flashback of Keoma's childhood recounted by an old lady, the camera merely pans up to find the action/flashback occuring behind her and then panning across back to the lady when the flashback is over. This is an idea I actually rather liked and added to the dream like quality that pervades the film, helped especially by the cinematography of Aiace Parolin.
    The use of slowmotion through out the film works well, a definate nod to the great Sam Peckinpah, but is over used at times and, where as Peckinpah, especially in The Wild Bunch uses it greatly and too effect, the site of seeing everyone and almost every important event slowing down takes away from the dramatic impact, especially with the well staged action scenes.
   Acting is generally of a high standard with Nero being excellent, though I felt perhaps a little uncomfortable which actually helps the character, as the main lead. Strode is great as always though I felt his character was underdeveloped and could have been used better. Berger, you may be pleased to here, agreed with me much more in this movie then he did in Sabata. O'Brien was good as the villenous Caldwell and he really displayed his viscious abilities well.
   The dialogue is a bit of a mixed bag. As related in the interview with Franco Nero that is included on this disc, we find out that a lot of the dialogue has been improvised and this can be of an advantage, such as the scene with Keoma and his father but at other times the dialogue can be a bit stilted and unbelievable.
   Now onto the music. It actually almost spoilt the entire movie for me. Just as I wanted to involve myself in the bleak atmosphere and the interesting characters, some old crones voice bleats like a murdered sheep loudly over the soundtrack telling me character feelings and what he was doing. For me at any rate it really put me off some of the scenes. I found myself shouting at the screen when ever the terrible warbling appeared, which was unfortunatly quite often. Other musical themes didn't appear to be quite as bad and I am partial for the odd Harmonica theme.
    This DVD was part of a boxset called Once Upon A Time In Italy: The Spaghetti Western Collection which was released by Anchor Bay for R1 and contains the films Texas Adios, A Bullet For The General, Companeros, Four Of The Apocalypse and Keoma. These can also be bought seperatly.
    The print used for this DVD was presented in its original aspect ratio of 2.35:1 and looked on the most part good. It showed off the grimyness of the run down town. There is some print damage but its nothing that should visually spoil your viewing of the movie. The English soundtrack is presented in 2.0 Mono and is quite good. It unfortuantly picks up the music too well but sound effects and dialogue come across clearly.
    Also included on this disc is an audio commentary by director Enzo G. Castellari and Journalist Waylon Wahl which is quite informative. There is also an interview with Franco Nero whish is as always very interesting and a Theatrical Trailer. The package is rounded up with some Talent Bios.
     Keoma seemed to promise a lot more then it delivers. For me the thing that shoots it down the most is the godawful soundtrack. I would recomend this film to people who like Franco Nero's work as it is an interesting if overall flawed cinematic experiment. I'm not sure if I would recomend this film to a spaghetti newcomer but older hands who wanted to try something different may want to get their hands on a copy.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #79 : May 26, 2007, 11:43:27 AM »

Arizona Colts review:-

KEOMA- 1976-Of his westerns I’ve seen this is Castellari’s best. A gothic western with an ambience of horror surrounding the proceedings. Keoma is a half breed avenger who has come to settle accounts with his “brothers” who were responsible for their fathers death. Lots of slow motion and Franco Nero isn’t completely wooden here, at least not all the time. Some nice touches with the camera are utilized and the use of the soundtrack to tell the story by projecting the characters thoughts is most innovative. An old witch that follows Keoma around represents death. Everything she touches dies, save for Keoma himself. A fine achievement by Castellari who more times than not, was satisfied with conventional action storytelling. There’s nothing wrong with that, but Castellari shows here that he is capable of something else. Castellari’s favorite of all his films.

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

« #80 : September 18, 2007, 11:27:58 AM »

Very good. It has that "dark and hopeless" athmosphere that I love so much in SWs. Franco Nero ROCKS, Strode too and William Berger is brilliant. I love him much more and more! He was absolutely cool an Banjo and here he is, too.  O0

Who is that Witch? imdb men say she's Death itself.

"Does this unit have a soul?"
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #81 : September 18, 2007, 11:29:18 AM »

Who is that Witch? imdb men say she's Death itself.

That's the general theory. I believe Casterllari explains it in the commentary (only on the AB dvd).

Did you like the soundtrack Jill?
Although it's universally derided I really like it.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

« #82 : September 18, 2007, 11:39:03 AM »

Soundtrack was okay. Not Morricone, but not as bad as they say. It passed to the athmosphere.

Witch reminded me an italian opera character, Azucena, from Verdi's Il trovatore.  >:D (She was a witch, too, and made things very complicated with her vengeance...)
off: Il travatore would be an excellent spaghetti western! Brothers against each other, revenge, flashbakcs, beautiful woman... alll you need.  ;D

Franks Harmonica
Bandido

« #83 : November 26, 2007, 01:41:21 PM »

I really enjoyed the Hell out of "Keoma" and after hearing all of the bad reviews of the ST ... I suprisingly kinda liked the music and have just recently DL it!

Frank: "So you're the one who makes appointments"
Harmonica: "And you're the one who doesn't keep em"
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #84 : November 26, 2007, 03:53:14 PM »

well Lets talk Keoma.

I think like Bronson in OUTITW that he's some kind of spirit . The battle field ghost town at the beginning the witch that asks him 'Why did you come back?", its not to be taken at face value.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

« #85 : November 27, 2007, 09:45:52 AM »

He's a mysterious character. I like this type in SWs. You can't know if he's a human or something else. But his half-brothers are real @ssholes...
A blue-eyes half-breed with a beard. This is very surrealist. :)

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #86 : November 27, 2007, 10:07:41 AM »

The whole witch part is a give away, and maybe too the distinct flashbacks.

The film looks like it takes place on the high plains of the West, it looks a lot like Montana, East of the Continental Divide. The battle town is Civil War i see a Michigan pennant in the rubble.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #87 : November 28, 2007, 09:38:57 PM »

I think we can all agree that the only reason this movie even exists is for the incredible camera angles and Casterllari's superb direction.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #88 : February 05, 2008, 03:39:15 PM »

I watched this again today I maintain that there is a mythological element with the witch

She first asks him "why did you come back?" He says to her later in the opening sequence "you only exist so that man can fulfill his destiny"

So she must be Atropos (Greek) or Morta (Roman) in mythology.

from a quick search:

Throughout mythology, Fate (also known as the Moirae) have always been represented by three female figures. The first of the ladies is Clotho, also known as the Spinner. She is the youngest of the aspects of fate and it is she who spins the thread of human life out of some indescribable material taken from the Void. It was said only she can travel into the Void to obtain this material of life.

The second aspect of fate is Lachesis (pronounced Lah-key-sis), also known as the Apportioner. She is a middle-aged aspect, who determines the lengths of the threads of life and weaves these threads into a pattern, which controls the events of human life. Lachesis controls the interaction of humans with each other, all depending upon how she weaves her tapestry.

Finally there is Atropos who is an elderly woman. She is the fate who cuts the thread or web of life. She is known as the "Inflexible" or "Inevitable", cutting the threads with the "abhorred shears”, ending a mortal’s existence.

They were said to be the daughters of Zeus (the father of all gods) and Themis (the goddess of order). The Roman name of the fates are Nona, Decuma, and Morta.

Early man believed that the Moirae were responsible for the all good and the bad things in a mortal's lifetime from birth to death. The fates were simply agents in the service of the gods executing their wishes. Between them, the Moirae spin the thread of life, which controls the events, the adventures, the wealth, and the death of each man (and woman).

Of course, the Greek Gods did occasionally “meddle” into the affairs of the Fates. The gods had the power to change a mortal's fate at the beginning, however doing it would cause irreparable damage, since it could bring about disorder and ruin the balance of the life flow which was the tapestry of life. Of course, there is balance to everything that exists in this world, and the hand of Fate was crucial in meeting this balance.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #89 : February 05, 2008, 05:49:37 PM »

I love the atmosphere all the way through this film. It's one of the best atmospheric westerns I have ever watched. It sucks you in as if you're there.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines