Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 10:17:42 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Cannes 2017
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cannes 2017  (Read 1381 times)
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2017, 10:00:41 AM »

Yet some of the festival's experiments have already proven highly combustible. After an outcry from French theaters, organizers announced last week that beginning next year, films without the intentions of a theatrical release in France won't be eligible for Cannes' prestigious Palme d'Or competition - the festival's main slate of about 20 films.

I can see where the Cannes festival is coming from with this. It's Cinema Paradiso versus binge watching.

The move effectively bars Netflix releases from Europe's answer to an Oscar race.

"Europe's answer..."  Huh Last time I checked, the Cannes film festival went back a little further in time than the founding of the EU. I think "version" rather than "answer" would be a better choice of words here.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2017, 10:05:19 AM »

"Europe's answer..."  Huh Last time I checked, the Cannes film festival went back a little further in time than the founding of the EU. I think "version" rather than "answer" would be a better choice of words here.

How can you compare the Oscars, in which all (American) films compete, and a festival in which only 20 films compete?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2017, 12:06:12 PM »

How do you mean? Aren't the films with a chance of winning a Best Picture Oscar (currently set at 10) and those with a chance of winning a Palme D'Or (set at 20) all pre-selected regardless?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2017, 02:50:45 PM »

How do you mean? Aren't the films with a chance of winning a Best Picture Oscar (currently set at 10) and those with a chance of winning a Palme D'Or (set at 20) all pre-selected regardless?

point is, not every film premieres at Cannes. There are many great films that never premiere at Cannes and therefore are ineligible for the Palme d'ore. Every movie is eligible for Oscar contention.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2017, 02:51:40 PM »

Clint Eastwood at Cannes for 25th anniversary of Unforgiven

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_FRANCE_CANNES_CLINT_EASTWOOD?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2017, 07:58:33 AM »

point is, not every film premieres at Cannes. There are many great films that never premiere at Cannes and therefore are ineligible for the Palme d'ore. Every movie is eligible for Oscar contention.

Every movie is eligible for Cannes. You just need to submit it and then cross your fingers. Of course if you choose to show it somewhere else first then you miss your opportunity, but that's your choice.

Milan NS
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2017, 03:49:35 PM »

Looking forward to Polanski's new film.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2017, 02:31:12 AM »

Looking forward to Polanski's new film.

Really?

He was great in the 60s, and in the 70s he made his best film Chinatown, but the others were already not that interesting in this decade, and since then his films are not very interesting for me. Then, suddenly, his last one was a positive surprise. But I still don't expect anything from him.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2017, 07:40:01 AM »

Really?

Yes, really.

His last big-budget release "The Ghost", which was horribly renamed "The Ghost Writer" in North America, was absolutely fantastic ("Carnage" and "Venus in Fur" were much smaller scale affairs).

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2017, 10:06:47 AM »

Yes, really.

His last big-budget release "The Ghost", which was horribly renamed "The Ghost Writer" in North America, was absolutely fantastic ("Carnage" and "Venus in Fur" were much smaller scale affairs).

Wasn't Ghost Writer the original title?

It was good, but nothing special (maybe 7/10), and Carnage was comparatively awful (4/10), and Venus in Furs the big surprise (8,5/10)

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2017, 10:48:40 AM »

Wasn't Ghost Writer the original title?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ghost_(Harris_novel)

It was stylish and very atmospheric. I haven't read the novel, but the conversion into a screenplay was deftly handled.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2017, 01:03:34 PM »

The The Ghost is the book title, The Ghost Writer is the film's original title.

Can't remember that much style.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2017, 02:57:45 PM »

It had the original title in the UK release:

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2017, 03:19:15 PM »

But in France and in Germany, the other co-producer countries, it was The Ghost Writer, and that is everywhere cited as the original title.

It seems the Brits changed it to correspondent with the book.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 03:20:25 PM by stanton » Logged

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2017, 10:07:28 PM »

But in France and in Germany, the other co-producer countries, it was The Ghost Writer, and that is everywhere cited as the original title.

It seems the Brits changed it to correspondent with the book.

I would argue that the working title of "The Ghost" was changed for release in other English-speaking regions through another unfortunate case of dumbing down that destroyed the ambiguity of the original title. Perhaps it was only kept in the UK due to the popularity of the original book there? Translations into other languages aren't really valid since rarely do words match 100% across different languages however closely related, although I would note that some other countries (e.g. Denmark, Russia, Lithuania) went with a straight translation of "The Ghost" too according to IMDb.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM