Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 01:09:33 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Tomas Milian R.I.P.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tomas Milian R.I.P.  (Read 1792 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2017, 08:48:00 PM »

I have never heard anyone say a negative word about Wallach as Tuco.

Not on here, but a lot of posters on the old IMDb boards would say they liked GBU less of the dollar films because of the Tuco character.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2017, 02:17:00 AM »

Not on here, but a lot of posters on the old IMDb boards would say they liked GBU less of the dollar films because of the Tuco character.

Never heard that too. IMDB is for losers anyway. Wink

But Wallachs other SW roles, in which he obviously reprises his Tuco mannerisms, were then criticised by some.

Milian was simply overdoing it in his later roles. He was good as Cuchillo, but in Companeros it is too much. But then, Nero is here also less cool than in Il Mercenario. And Palance is also over the top. Still, despite several flaws, Companeros is a very enjoyable film with some amazingly directed scenes.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2017, 04:16:04 AM »

Never heard that too. IMDB is for losers anyway. Wink

But Wallachs other SW roles, in which he obviously reprises his Tuco mannerisms, were then criticised by some.

Milian was simply overdoing it in his later roles. He was good as Cuchillo, but in Companeros it is too much. But then, Nero is here also less cool than in Il Mercenario. And Palance is also over the top. Still, despite several flaws, Companeros is a very enjoyable film with some amazingly directed scenes.

When I say a lot it was probably about 10% of those that prefered For A Few Dollars More, and the reason, when I asked them was that they invariably gave me was the "Tuco Factor". I think they felt Tuco's antics detracted from Blonde.

As far as Il Mercenario-Companeros debate, I like them both for different reasons, the best film would have been some sort of combination of the two stories, even though one is practically a remake of the other. I prefer Milian to Musante, and the Mercenario storyline to that of Companeros, and Giovanna Ralli over Iris Berben. I'd also lose the Fernando Rey character. Morricone soundtrack is great for either film.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2017, 04:31:01 AM »

Has anyone seen the third part "What am I doing in the middle of the revolution?" ? It stars neither Milian nor Nero, but Paolo Villaggio and Vittorio Gassman. It's good, but no "Mercenary" or "Companeros". It actually has a complicated history since the third part was originally supposed to be "Viva la muerte... tua!" (aka "Don't turn the other cheek") which does star Nero and also Eli Wallach. This is what Knox says from the interview on this site (http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/articles/knox.html )

As far as we can see from the books, your works with the Spaghetti Western world didn't finish after Leone. Can you tell us somethings about your career apart from Leone films?

Oh yes, I was the executive producer of the film, originally called 'Viva la Muerta Dua' (a.k.a. Long Live Your Death), starring Eli Wallach, Lynn Redgrave, and Franco Nero (directed by Duccio Tessari in 1971). Wallach played a dirty Mexican bandit.

You mentioned in your previous interview that Franco Nero didn't want to work with Sergio Corbucci, because Corbucci showed most of his attention to the other actor in a previous film.

Ah yes, Tomas Milian was the other leading star in the film, called "Companeros", and when I said to Franco that I wanted to get Sergio Corbucci as the director, he said "I won't work with him". I said "but he's the best for our movie", he said "oh no, no he snubbed me all through the picture, and he gave all of his attention to Tomas". I said "come on, what are you talking about? I know Sergio Corbucci, and he's a very nice man". He said "yes, but...". I don't know, I guess something must have happened. I have a feeling that something came up between Tomas and Franco, and Sergio decided in favor of Tomas. But, he (Franco) regretted it later.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 04:33:04 AM by Novecento » Logged
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2017, 05:43:56 AM »

As far as Il Mercenario-Companeros debate, I like them both for different reasons, the best film would have been some sort of combination of the two stories, even though one is practically a remake of the other. I prefer Milian to Musante, and the Mercenario storyline to that of Companeros, and Giovanna Ralli over Iris Berben. I'd also lose the Fernando Rey character. Morricone soundtrack is great for either film.

Not a remake, but a variation of motives.
For me, as much as I love Companeros, Il mercenario is in another league. It is one of the 10 best westerns ever, and it is one of the best directed (in Companeros is a lot of lazy stuff), and one of the most unusual with its multiple endings. Corbucci did such things, in that respect he dared more than Leone, like the very unique ending of Il grande Silenzio, his second near-masterpiece.

His third revolution western What am I doing in the middle of the revolution? is a lesser one. At that point he had already started not to care much anymore, neither for the films nor for their directing.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2017, 08:55:33 AM »

When I say a lot it was probably about 10% of those that prefered For A Few Dollars More, and the reason, when I asked them was that they invariably gave me was the "Tuco Factor". I think they felt Tuco's antics detracted from Blonde.

Tuco was great in GBU, and IMO FAFDM is still the greatest movie of all time  Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2017, 06:16:03 PM »

Corbucci directing Milian during the dubbing of Sonny & Jed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfIJbaGraLo

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2017, 02:17:38 AM »

Here's the full documentary, great stuff (Corbucci filming):