Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 06:59:57 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Actor/Actress Appreciation Thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Actor/Actress Appreciation Thread  (Read 1454 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2017, 12:51:12 PM »

Does Mario Brega fits into this?
He should. Also the greatest film actor in English who ever lived: Peter Finch.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2017, 01:58:58 PM »

He should. Also the greatest film actor in English who ever lived: Peter Finch.

Bah...

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2017, 02:21:26 PM »

Does Mario Brega fits into this?

sure why not

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2017, 02:30:07 PM »

sure why not

Because in Italy he's a cult figure.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2017, 05:30:03 PM »

Use whatever criteria you want to use Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2017, 05:32:50 PM »

Nice topic. I just think we have to make a difference though between really obscure and forgotten actors, and actors unknown to "the general public", meaning everybody who is not into classic film. D & d mentioned Kay Francis and I don't think she is forgotten, not by people who are into 30s movies, especially pre-Code. She and Myrna Loy were to me the most sophisticated women of the 30s.

Marcel Dalio though is a good example of an actor probably only a handful of people remember today.

My favorite actors who are not much remembered today, unless you are into Noir, are Steve Cochran and Charles McGraw. Underrated actress would be Jan Sterling.

Much more obscure nowadays is Lee Tracy, one of the biggest stars of the early 30s. He started out at the same time as Gable, often playing similar roles, but only Gable is remembered today. Basically forgotten 30s actress: Helen Twelvetrees.

Is Kay Francis really more well-known today than Steve Cochran and Charles McGraw? Depends if your thing is pre-Code or noirs and Westerns.  I am sure that more people on these boards are familiar with Cochran/McGraw than Francis.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
kjrwe
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2017, 07:41:51 PM »

Whoops...I overlooked the "lesser known" part. Okay, I'll stick to lesser known actors/actresses in the future.

Afro

kjrwe
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2017, 03:21:38 AM »

LURED also has another of my favorite character actors: Alan Mowbray.

I just finished watching Charlie Chan in London (second viewing in about a week), and he's in that film, too. He did a great job of playing the owner of the mansion in which a couple of murders take place.

Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2017, 08:53:18 AM »

Is Kay Francis really more well-known today than Steve Cochran and Charles McGraw? Depends if your thing is pre-Code or noirs and Westerns.  I am sure that more people on these boards are familiar with Cochran/McGraw than Francis.

You're right, everybody who's into Noir would know Cochran and McGraw. It's really hard to say who is remembered and who isn't. I'd say Kay Francis is still well-known, as opposed to a few others whose career had already phased out in the late 30as. Just to name a few (sometime simply because they died): Thelma Todd, Wallace Beery, Nils Asther, Janet Gaynor or Lupe Velez.

Jessica Rabbit
"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
kjrwe
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2017, 01:16:31 AM »

I haven't seen much of Roman Bohnen, but I was extremely impressed with his work in both The Strange Love of Martha Ivers and The Best Years of Our Lives. They were small supporting roles, but very memorable.

The Strange Love of Martha Ivers: he's seen in the first 15 minutes only, as the tutor of a rich lady's niece. He wants his son to be able to go to an expensive college and become Somebody Important. Later in the film, his character is referred to but not seen.

The Best Years of Our Lives: he plays the father of one of the soldiers who has returned from fighting in WWII. This character shows concern for his son when he realizes what kinds of changes his son is coping with.

greenbudgie
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2017, 04:41:41 AM »

I just want to pick up on what you said earlier about character actors being less known. I think usually people know their faces but because their names come way down the cast they don't always get to known their names.

Character actors do become known and do take lead parts. The instance of this that comes immediately to mind is Robert Newton. He had a distinct character that normally supports the main players. But he was given leads in the Disney pirate films of the early 1950s.

greenbudgie
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2017, 05:06:32 AM »

GALE SONDERGAARD (1899-1985) was a good character actor who stole just about every scene that she was in. Her trademarks were her sinister smile and her bearing of exotic intrigue. Here are three of her roles that best express her screen personality:-

As Adrea Spedding in SPIDER WOMAN who uses a deadly spider, poison gas, a fly-catching nephew and a lethal midget. With these she tries to get the better of Sherlock Holmes. And at the end she entraps Dr Watson into committing a crime that would have put paid to Sherlock Holmes for good.

As Zenobia Dollard in THE SPIDER WOMAN STRIKES BACK who use blood and spider venom. With these she tries to breed meat-eating plants that would be lethal to cattle. There were plans to star Gale Sondergaard in a whole series of Spider Woman films but unfortunately those plans never came to fruition.

As Miss Lu in THE CAT AND THE CANARY who is a housekeeper in a lonely mansion. She claims to be in contact with spirits. I'm never sure if Miss Lu is mad or if she is really crafty in her designs on getting the mansion for herself.

kjrwe
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2017, 07:45:14 PM »

Robert Barrat:

I've always enjoyed his work in 1930s B-movies, such as

The Kennel Murder Case

The Dragon Murder Case

Baby Face

Picture Snatcher

While the Patient Slept

The Murder Man

Secret of the Blue Room

...and others.

He always gave an interesting performance, either as a murder victim, or as a killer, or as a "red herring" character, etc. He was capable of stealing whatever scene he was in.

kjrwe
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2017, 06:02:00 PM »

Lyle Talbot is another one of those actors whom I enjoy seeing in 1930s whodunits, such as:

The Thirteenth Guest

The Dragon Murder Case

While the Patient Slept

Murder by an Aristocrat

etc. (I know that there are more, but I just can't think of them now.)

He was one of those dependable actors who (I think) could be counted on to give a fine performance. I've liked him in all the films I've seen him in.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2017, 08:12:16 AM »

Theresa Wright
Maureen O'Sullivan

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM