Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 11:06:56 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Dunkirk (2017) - Christopher Nolan
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dunkirk (2017) - Christopher Nolan  (Read 2070 times)
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2017, 06:53:37 PM »

I agree with Novecentk. Very good film. Caught it in 70mm IMAX. I did find it very jarring when it switches between IMAX and regular 70mm though. There are very few scenes not in IMAX, I wonder why the whole thing isn't in that format.

8.5/10 finally a war film that avoids overdoing sentimentality

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2017, 08:48:49 PM »

I hope to see the movie sometime this week.

I'm looking through the viewing options in New York. Please forgive my ignorance. Besides the standard options, I see a 70mm option and an IMAX 2D option. Which should I go for?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2017, 01:47:31 AM »

I agree with Novecentk. Very good film. Caught it in 70mm IMAX. I did find it very jarring when it switches between IMAX and regular 70mm though. There are very few scenes not in IMAX, I wonder why the whole thing isn't in that format.

8.5/10 finally a war film that avoids overdoing sentimentality

The reason why they did 30% of the movie with regular 70mm cameras is dialogues. Imax cameras are too loud to record dialogues.

I hope to see the movie sometime this week.

I'm looking through the viewing options in New York. Please forgive my ignorance. Besides the standard options, I see a 70mm option and an IMAX 2D option. Which should I go for?

70mm IMAX should be your first choice. If you don't have this around you, take any 2D IMAX screening. IMAX is mandatory here: the film is more about immersion than being highly cinematographic (although it is both).

Your 3rd option would be to rent Weekend at Dunkirk, which is a better film anyway.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 01:51:08 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2017, 02:22:04 AM »

The reason why they did 30% of the movie with regular 70mm cameras is dialogues. Imax cameras are too loud to record dialogues.

70mm IMAX should be your first choice. If you don't have this around you, take any 2D IMAX screening. IMAX is mandatory here: the film is more about immersion than being highly cinematographic (although it is both).

Your 3rd option would be to rent Weekend at Dunkirk, which is a better film anyway.

I thought all IMAX is 70 mm? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAX

Anyway, below is a link my viewing options. Which should I choose? (I am seeing the movie on Thursday evening, with Miss Hong Kong, who still hardly speaks any English [and still never heard of World War II]. I figure that a movie with lots of action and little dialogue is best.)

https://mobile.fandango.com/dunkirk-2017-197616/movie-times?date=2017-08-03

« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 02:29:29 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2017, 09:06:10 AM »

The link DJ shared above shows the differences.

It seems with IMAX you need to be very careful that it is the real IMAX 1.43:1 and not the fake IMAX 1.90:1. It seems if you can watch 70mm IMAX it will always be the real IMAX.

If you can't see 70mm IMAX which seems to be the ideal, I personally would go with regular 70mm since I love the chance to see any film as actual "film" nowadays. However, I do take N_L's point above regarding IMAX in which case just make sure it is 1.43:1 otherwise don't bother.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2017, 09:25:07 AM »

There are both digital and 70mm IMAX cameras, and there are also digital and film IMAX projectors... as is explained in detail in the Wikipedia link you posted Smiley

www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2017, 11:52:11 AM »

That AMC theater on 34th Street, one of the IMAX options you see, has some of the biggest screens in Manhattan IMO.
I called and asked if it was digital or film, and the person who answered the phone - as well as the supervisor - had no idea. Eventually, she said, "I think it's digital," I guess because that sounds more modern. Because she had no idea. I finally asked her if they have cans of film that they load through the projector, and she said, "Yes - that's what it is." I really doubt she knows any more than I do  Azn

« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 12:02:17 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2017, 12:42:16 PM »

So if I have  no way of really knowing whether the IMAX is 70 mm, you say I go for IMAX or go for 70 mm?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2017, 01:53:15 PM »

Just stay home!

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2017, 02:40:27 PM »

IMAX !!!!!

www.ThibautOskian.com
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2017, 03:15:59 PM »

Like I said earlier, 70mm IMAX is going to be "real" IMAX. Digital IMAX might be "real" but it might be "fake".

Surely there are places here you can find this out on the internet. If not, play it safe and go watch a nice 70mm presentation. That's probably what Nolan would want you to choose given his insistence on 70mm anyway.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2017, 04:25:09 PM »

I have to disagree here and advise for IMAX anyway... Except if you're 100% sure the non IMAX 70mm screening has a top notch sound installation. The sound design and the soundtrack are exactly as important -if not more- as the visuals in this instance.

In the end, it doesn't matter that much since it isn't that good. But still.

www.ThibautOskian.com
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2017, 04:44:01 PM »

I am seeing the movie on Thursday evening, with Miss Hong Kong, who still hardly speaks any English [and still never heard of World War II]. I figure that a movie with lots of action and little dialogue is best.

Well, even for those who DO speak English and are aware of WW2, I think Nolan did a terrible job on some aspects.  He should've at least had a slide/text at the beginning to explain how the British and French armies came to be encircled with the sea to their backs.  And calling the Germans "the enemy", and no one calling them the krauts, the huns, etc., is very unrealistic.  And there were over 800 boats that came to the rescue, the film doesn't show even 1/10 of that.

On the other hand, Nolan showcases individual heroism of some British citizens who risked their lives in their small boats that could approach in the shallow waters, and that the British felt they could not risk full-blown navy or air force bombardment as that could go bad and leave Britain open for an invasion.  Ans shows how desperate some were to try to get back to Britain at any cost.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2017, 05:25:28 PM »

Just stay home!

First I take her to the movie. Then I take her home ...

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2017, 05:52:40 PM »

Have you heard of this wonderful invention called "home video"? You should try it.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM