Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2018, 09:20:40 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Western quotes in GBU
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Western quotes in GBU  ( 2203 )
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« : July 31, 2007, 08:28:38 PM »

I've come across a few in this film too, that I've mention in scattered threads.

Anyway, one I remember at the moment is the coyote call in the beginning same as in Red River.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #1 : July 31, 2007, 10:15:23 PM »

The Carriage of the Spirits idea comes from the beginning of She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (which opens with a runaway stagecoach and, if I remember correctly, a dead paymaster and an empty paybox on board).

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #2 : August 01, 2007, 06:18:29 AM »

Yea thats right!

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
marqkin

« #3 : August 02, 2007, 03:16:03 AM »

I've come across a few in this film too, that I've mention in scattered threads.

Anyway, one I remember at the moment is the coyote call in the beginning same as in Red River.

I think that if we started to analyse the references to other films, we would take forever......
but...Cigar Joe.....you are so right!!!!!!
Don't know if you own a copy of Sir Christopher Frayling's book 'Once Upon A Time in Italy'???, but in one section, he lists the references to 'American' westerns that Leone made in ' Once Upon a Time in the West'...
My point is this....Leone obviously so 'loved' the American West that he copied it - or should I say 'borrowed' it....and...o'boy!!!.. what a great job he did!!!!
You know what they say....."imitation is the best form of flattery...."
Well.....Leone didn't just borrow, flatter, or re-invent...
...Leone took not only one generation....but many other generations to follow.....by the scruff of the neck, and said: "Listen, you can beg, borrow, steal...whatever it takes....but....in the end...always follow your heart and do as you will...."
Leone did this...he followed his heart...thank goodness he did.....
Adios....

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #4 : August 15, 2007, 08:24:13 PM »

After watching San Fullers 40 Guns today I have a few more.

The Hat tree.

The classic Leone closeup of eyes is a refrence to 40 guns, Fuller however uses it on Barry Sullivan as he is walking towards a shootout with Brabara Stanwick's brother. However it looses its effect because the eyes are swinging in cadence to his walk, so they bounce back & forth a wierd look.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #5 : October 06, 2018, 02:47:24 AM »

A new visual quote:

Raymond Hatton playing 'Barbwire' Tom Gibbons
From Hells Heroes 1929, directed by William Wyler, cinematographer George Robinson   

« : October 07, 2018, 06:11:32 AM cigar joe »

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #6 : October 06, 2018, 07:01:10 AM »

I have to say that Tuco in glorious excitement after opening up the sack and finding the gold coins, then standing up and being framed perfectly in the noose is an absolutely GREAT scene.  GBU has so many classic scenes like that.

I still cannot believe that GBU was filmed in 6 weeks though, believe I read that somewhere on this board or a Frayling book.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #7 : October 24, 2018, 04:50:53 PM »

Here is a non Western quote from Panic In The Streets. Jack Palance gets info from a newspaper vendor about a fugitive, very similar to the scene between Lee Van Cleef and Half Soldier in GBU

« : October 25, 2018, 02:28:46 PM cigar joe »

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #8 : October 24, 2018, 10:32:22 PM »

A new visual quote:

Raymond Hatton playing 'Barbwire' Tom Gibbons
From Hells Heroes 1929, directed by William Wyler, cinematographer George Robinson

Nice one!

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines