Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 25, 2018, 08:33:14 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Prowler (1951)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Prowler (1951)  (Read 500 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2017, 02:13:00 AM »

The Prowler (1951)

Here are some previous posts on this movie from the Film Noir Discussion Thread:

---

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=1822.msg142150#msg142150

dave jenkins:

Bad Cop Noir! I've seen it twice on the big screen and I'd be happy to own it on DVD (if it ever comes out). Van Hefflin makes a wonderfully lovable psycho.

---

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=1822.msg145264#msg145264

dave jenkins: The DVD is here! http://www.amazon.com/Prowler-Van-Heflin/dp/B004C2523M/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_4

Fabulous extras! Talking head doc, an interview with a gushing Bernard Tavernier, a very interesting doc on noir film restorations (including some hints about titles now in the pipeline).  I watched the film last night with the Eddie Muller commentary turned on. That's entertainment!

----

DJ also provided links to Glenn Erickson's review of the DVD http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s3425prow.html and Beaver's screencaps http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_reviews_66/the_prowler_blu-ray.htm

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 02:43:45 AM »

This movie showed on TCM's Noir Alley on May 14, 2017

Host Eddie Muller's introduction – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRQbdWtzxAY&feature=youtu.be

Host Eddie Muller's closing comments – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7HXpEqdOC4&feature=youtu.be

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 06:28:36 AM »

Wow, way to go Eddie! Thanks, Drink.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 08:53:20 AM »

Do you think he is right that the movie is about "one woman's unstoppable quest to have a baby"?

Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 09:04:46 AM »

Thank you again, D & D, for the upload. Much appreciated.  Afro
I have the DVD too, haven't seen it in about 2 years though. I'll have to rewatch before I write something about it. The DVD has a commentary by Muller as an extra.

Jessica Rabbit
"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
Moorman
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 06:44:24 PM »

Van Hefllin in a film noir?

XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 02:02:36 AM »

Van Hefllin in a film noir?

And he's really creepy here as well, great performance.

Some other noirs he also appeared in are The Strange Love Of Martha Ivers (1946), Possessed (1947), Act Of Violence (1949) and the color noir Black Widow (1954). Strange Love... & Possessed come highly recommended, they're both excellent IMHO.

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 04:38:35 AM »

And he's really creepy here as well, great performance.

Some other noirs he also appeared in are The Strange Love Of Martha Ivers (1946), Possessed (1947), Act Of Violence (1949) and the color noir Black Widow (1954). Strange Love... & Possessed come highly recommended, they're both excellent IMHO.

Afro Afro Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 12:54:01 AM »

It's a very good movie, but -- and I'm discussing the plot here, so as usual, don't read a movie's thread if you don't want spoilers -- IMO it could have even been better if we hadn't actually seen Heflin setting up the scene for a premeditated murder of Keyes's husband. It would have been better if we'd have just seen Heflin confront Keyes's husband who had the gun and shoot him, but we'd never be sure of what was going on in Heflin's mind. As it is, knowing Heflin is a plain and simple murderer, we don't have much sympathy for him. I don't think anyone is too sad when he dies at the end. But what if we had never been sure of how bad Heflin was? We'd wonder: Did he simply see Keyes's husband with a gun and mistake him for a prowler and shot him? Did he indeed set up the scene for a premeditated murder? Perhaps somewhere in middle, being opportunistic or perhaps a bit trigger-happy on the spur of the moment? It would make the character more ambiguous ... and we'd be unsure at the end whether or not he was really planning on killing the doctor once the baby is delivered. When Keyes flips out and accuses him of murder, we'd never know for sure whether or not she is correct. And when Heflin gets shot at the end, we'd never know for sure if we should be happy or sad ...

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 03:43:52 AM »

It's a very good movie, but -- and I'm discussing the plot here, so as usual, don't read a movie's thread if you don't want spoilers -- IMO it could have even been better if we hadn't actually seen Heflin setting up the scene for a premeditated murder of Keyes's husband. It would have been better if we'd have just seen Heflin confront Keyes's husband who had the gun and shoot him, but we'd never be sure of what was going on in Heflin's mind. As it is, knowing Heflin is a plain and simple murderer, we don't have much sympathy for him. I don't think anyone is too sad when he dies at the end. But what if we had never been sure of how bad Heflin was? We'd wonder: Did he simply see Keyes's husband with a gun and mistake him for a prowler and shot him? Did he indeed set up the scene for a premeditated murder? Perhaps somewhere in middle, being opportunistic or perhaps a bit trigger-happy on the spur of the moment? It would make the character more ambiguous ... and we'd be unsure at the end whether or not he was really planning on killing the doctor once the baby is delivered. When Keyes flips out and accuses him of murder, we'd never know for sure whether or not she is correct. And when Heflin gets shot at the end, we'd never know for sure if we should be happy or sad ...

It was probably the Hayes Code dictated that, no ambiguity, bad guy DIES!

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2017, 08:37:30 AM »

It was probably the Hayes Code dictated that, no ambiguity, bad guy DIES!

Of course Heflin would die! But point is we wouldn’t know whether or not he was really bad. Hays Code doesn’t say “ONLY bad guys can die.” Good guys can die also.

Moorman
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 03:13:23 PM »

Of course Heflin would die! But point is we wouldn’t know whether or not he was really bad. Hays Code doesn’t say “ONLY bad guys can die.” Good guys can die also.

Thanks for spoiling it...   SPOILER ALERT NEXT TIME, lol...

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 11:21:36 PM »

Thanks for spoiling it...   SPOILER ALERT NEXT TIME, lol...

Don’t read a movie’s thread if you are afraid of spoilers. We Give spoiler alerts in the “Rate the last movie you saw” thread and other threada, but in a movie’s own threada, no spoiler alerts are  given;  we are free to discuss the plot and any other part of the movie. Nevertheless, I actually went the extra mile here and did give a spoiler alert. But Spoiler alerts are usually not given in a  movie’s own thread  Smiley

« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 11:25:34 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 11:13:22 AM »

If this isn't a masterpiece, it's close. I like it more and more on additional viewings. The first act of this movie is some of the best old hollywood had to offer.

I have the bluray and the quality varies. It's not tremendous, though there seems to be an uptick in the image quality once the movie heads to the ghost town. Considering what the state of the movie was in, the restoration had to be a success. With that said, I don't know if it's good enough to double dip if you already have the DVD. If you don't own this on any format, then I'd definitely recommend buying the bluray before it potentially goes out of stock.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 12:25:36 PM by T.H. » Logged

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM