Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2017, 03:40:47 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Near Noirs
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Near Noirs  (Read 4155 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2011, 11:33:17 AM »

Noir visual influences in Near Noir Films continued....

The Fugitive Kind (1960)

Anna Magnani in shadows

Joanne Woodward with peppers ghost effect Magnani & Brando

The very noir-ish Mississippi Roadhouse with Joanne Woodward and Brando in his snake skin jacket,

Baby Doll (1956)

The peeping tom view of Carroll Baker in her crib.

Shadows across Eli Wallach & Baker

Requiem For A Heavyweight (1962)

Mountain Rivera (Anthony Quinn)

Gleason, Quinn, and Rooney in the back room of the arena.

Manager Gleason & Trainer Rooney

Cape Fear (1962)

Robert Mitchum as Max Caddy

Mitchum in Noir-ish room

Mitchum's ominous confrontation with Polly Bergen

« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 12:25:13 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 02:33:20 AM »

I see what you;'re saying with some of these movies, but with others, I just don't see how they can be considered even nearly-nearly-nearly-near-noirish, eg.  On the Waterfront, Anatomy of a Murder, or Baby Doll. I only saw parts of BD, but I don't believe it's anything close to a noir visually, even with those screen grabs you made.
OTW, it's a gritty movie (whioch can be expected for a movie shot on the docks involving a longshoremen's union), but that itself doesn't qualify, and AOAM is simply a courtroom drama.
 I can't say for certain that I recall every single shot of these movies, but I don't think there's anything there.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 01:59:03 AM »

We Were Strangers (1949)

It's a movie about a revolutionary cell in Cuba in 1933, so not a typical crime drama, but has lots of noir visuals in the indoor scenes.

Further discussion here http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=7645.msg163790#msg163790

« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 02:00:13 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 05:38:57 PM »

I just saw The Naked Kiss (1964) I suppose you might actually call it a noir if it was made just a half-decade earlier. Maybe it's too early to call a neo-noir; how about calling it a "post-noir"?  Wink

Anyway, I give the movie an 8/10

Very weird in the way it was made and cut, you always kinda feel like there's something a little not right, but it captivated me. Kelly, played by Constance Towers, is a terrific character.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2013, 07:10:43 PM »

I just saw The Naked Kiss (1964) I suppose you might actually call it a noir if it was made just a half-decade earlier. Maybe it's too early to call a neo-noir; how about calling it a "post-noir"?  Wink

Anyway, I give the movie an 8/10

Very weird in the way it was made and cut, you always kinda feel like there's something a little not right, but it captivated me. Kelly, played by Constance Towers, is a terrific character.

It feels like its made on the cheap, without the studio system.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2017, 01:06:25 AM »

I just saw John Ford's The Fugitive (1947). You can call that a near-noir. Despite the title, it's not really a "crime" film, unless you consider religion a crime. It's filmed in Mexico but the introduction tells us it's supposed to be a generic country. The government has outlawed religion and  Henry Fonda plays the last remaining priest who tries to minister to his flock while fleeing the police.

It's a terrible movie. Only good thing about it is the cinematography.

About that cinematography: Many scenes filmed outdoors in bright sunlight, but some of the nighttime and indoor scenes are filmed in noir style.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM