Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 10:57:41 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Roger Moore R.I.P.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Roger Moore R.I.P.  (Read 571 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: May 23, 2017, 08:38:58 AM »

Great Saint.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 10:37:12 AM »

R.I.P.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 11:38:03 AM »

Great Saint.
Yes, he'll always be Simon Templar to me. And that should read "Sir Roger Moore RIP."

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 12:08:05 PM »

And that should read "Sir Roger Moore RIP."

Always Roger Moore to me. If I premitted a "Sir", people would think I'm a demented.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 01:01:22 PM »

In my youth he was the only real Bond for us, at least he was the only real Roger.

But his best 2 Bond films are better than Connerys. His worst 2 are the worst of the series.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 01:20:52 PM »

Just got an email from Warner's wbshop.com. They wanted to let me know about Sir Roger's death and point out all the product they sell in which he appears. Very classy, WB! Exploit death to move merchandise. Bastards!

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
greenbudgie
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 02:07:46 AM »

He did a great film called 'The Man Who Haunted Himself.' 89 is a good age but I'm sorry that he was ill towards the end.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 05:29:13 AM »

Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

He'll always be Lord Brett Sinclair to me.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 05:56:44 AM »

Here's a great little story by screenplaywriter Mark Hyanes, which describes Roger perfectly, his roles and the man himself:

"As a seven-year-old in about 1983, in the days before First Class Lounges at airports, I was with my grandad in Nice Airport and saw Roger Moore sitting at the departure gate, reading a paper. I told my granddad I'd just seen James Bond and asked if we could go over so I could get his autograph. My grandad had no idea who James Bond or Roger Moore were, so we walked over and he popped me in front of Roger Moore, with the words "my grandson says you're famous. Can you sign this?"

As charming as you'd expect, Roger asks my name and duly signs the back of my plane ticket, a fulsome note full of best wishes. I'm ecstatic, but as we head back to our seats, I glance down at the signature. It's hard to decipher it but it definitely doesn't say 'James Bond'. My grandad looks at it, half figures out it says 'Roger Moore' - I have absolutely no idea who that is, and my hearts sinks. I tell my grandad he's signed it wrong, that he's put someone else's name - so my grandad heads back to Roger Moore, holding the ticket which he's only just signed.

I remember staying by our seats and my grandad saying "he says you've signed the wrong name. He says your name is James Bond." Roger Moore's face crinkled up with realisation and he beckoned me over. When I was by his knee, he leant over, looked from side to side, raised an eyebrow and in a hushed voice said to me, "I have to sign my name as 'Roger Moore' because otherwise...Blofeld might find out I was here." He asked me not to tell anyone that I'd just seen James Bond, and he thanked me for keeping his secret. I went back to our seats, my nerves absolutely jangling with delight. My grandad asked me if he'd signed 'James Bond.' No, I said. I'd got it wrong. I was working with James Bond now.

Many, many years later, I was working as a scriptwriter on a recording that involved UNICEF, and Roger Moore was doing a piece to camera as an ambassador. He was completely lovely and while the cameramen were setting up, I told him in passing the story of when I met him in Nice Airport. He was happy to hear it, and he had a chuckle and said "Well, I don't remember but I'm glad you got to meet James Bond." So that was lovely.

And then he did something so brilliant. After the filming, he walked past me in the corridor, heading out to his car - but as he got level, he paused, looked both ways, raised an eyebrow and in a hushed voice said, "Of course I remember our meeting in Nice. But I didn't say anything in there, because those cameramen - any one of them could be working for Blofeld."

I was as delighted at 30 as I had been at 7. What a man. What a tremendous man."

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/roger-moore-dead-died-james-bond-airport-story-anecdote-signature-a7752636.html

Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 09:57:56 AM »

That's a great story, Stanton. Love the first picture.  Kiss

Jessica Rabbit
"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 09:58:49 AM »

Great story!

www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 11:38:28 AM »

Cool story. Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2017, 09:33:52 AM »

I was very sad to hear this a week or so ago: not the greatest of actors - but certainly the greatest of non-Bond Bonds! Afro

R.I.P.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 03:56:57 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2017, 11:49:08 AM »

I never understood this modern Moore-007-bashing. He was great, for 10 years (the last one was one too many and he knew it).
He made the best of what the producers gave him, perfect for the 70s and early 80s and SPY and LIVE & LET DIE are superb 007 films.
 (bloody MOONRAKER bombastic style and poor GOLDEN GUN are not his faults, he was an actor, not a film maker).

Wonderful human being anyway. So wonderfully non-american (or better: non-Hollywood): I was in his office at Pinewood once. Totally wonderfully unpretentious, (quite) old furniture, so-so framed on-set stills from the 70s heavily darkened by cigar-smoke. Adorable. My ex-girlfriend there tried to persuade the guys to try our German herbal tea, I had raised eyebrows (the Brits love their black teat, a tradition), but she was quite successfully. Happy days.

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2017, 11:52:43 AM »

(bloody MOONRAKER bombastic style and poor GOLDEN GUN are not his faults, he was an actor, not a film maker).

I think these 2 films explain a lot. He's known as the slapstick James Bond because of Moonraker, which is unfair. He also kept playing the part for too long: he was clearly too old and a tad overweight in the latest installments.

www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM