Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 11:11:07 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Sorry, Wrong Number (1948)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sorry, Wrong Number (1948)  (Read 908 times)
Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2017, 09:14:24 AM »

D & D, I can't understand your hate for Stanwyck, but I have pretty much the same reaction towards Katharine Hepburn. That nail-on-chalkboard voice, that put-on accent, I just want to throw something at the TV screen. Occasionally I do watch one of her movies which I can even enjoy in spite of her. BTW, I also feel the same about Meryl Streep. Can't look at her.

I pretty much agree with your two qualifiers for acting.

As for acting skills, I'd say brilliant actors don't happen too often. Most actors are OK too good, or even very good, which is fine with me. Category B is much more important to me. There are many actors I love to watch who aren't necessarily great at their craft. But they're fun to watch, which as you say doesn't need to have anything to do with looks.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 09:55:05 AM by Jessica Rabbit » Logged

Jessica Rabbit
"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2017, 09:29:04 AM »

I agree with you on Hepburn

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
kjrwe
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2017, 10:30:06 PM »

D & D, you don't need to give us excuses for why you don't like Stanwyck. If you don't like her, then you don't like her. That's how it is. Most of us have celebrities we dislike, either because of their acting, or their looks, or their voices, etc. Just for the record, I've never liked Tom Cruise. I do like most actors from the Golden Age of cinema, although I've always found Vincent Price's voice to be annoying.

I just think it's odd that some folks will dislike a celebrity's acting because of their political views. What on earth do their political views have to do with their acting abilities, anyway? Same goes for sexual orientation.

As for Katharine Hepburn, I like her sometimes, but in certain films, she just overdid it. She was great in the 1940s film Undercurrent, which I really enjoy, but she was way over-the-top in Little Women (1930s). She and Spencer Tracy made a great team, but I think that Adam's Rib is too heavy-handed.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2017, 10:53:45 PM »

I'm not making excuses.

But it's important to differentiate, when i say I can't stand her and someone else is wondering how I can be impugning her acting abilities, I'm not.

Some actors can also grow on you. I used to dislike Butt Lancaster very much but now I find him tolerable - him being in a movie doesn't ruin it for me. I still find Joseph Cotten and Joel McRea difficult to watch. Can't stand Farley Granger. Oh, and did I mention SHELLEY WINTERS?  Grin

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2017, 11:00:31 PM »

I pretty much agree with your two qualifiers for acting.

As for acting skills, I'd say brilliant actors don't happen too often. Most actors are OK too good, or even very good, which is fine with me. Category B is much more important to me. There are many actors I love to watch who aren't necessarily great at their craft. But they're fun to watch, which as you say doesn't need to have anything to do with looks.

I agree. (Truth is, some would say that prior to the influx of Method Actors - starting with Brando in STREETCAR - Category B was really all there was.  Wink )

Another key point is that many roles do  not require an actor to undergo a metamorphosis. Many roles - in damn good movies - basically require an actor to be him/her self and be enjoyable to watch. No doubt, for me Category B is an absolute prerequisite.

But like I said, there's a combination factor as well: Terrible B's are unwatchable even if they have great A's.  But a Great A with an average B can be great. Examples, Meryl Streep and Robert de Niro. I don't think anyone would say RDN is ultra-cool or has a great voice or is great fun to watch reading the phone book. But man, that guy can act!

kjrwe
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2017, 11:15:35 PM »

I'm not making excuses.

But it's important to differentiate, when i say I can't stand her and someone else is wondering how I can be impugning her acting abilities, I'm not.

Some actors can also grow on you. I used to dislike Butt Lancaster very much but now I find him tolerable - him being in a movie doesn't ruin it for me. I still find Joseph Cotten and Joel McRea difficult to watch. Can't stand Farley Granger. Oh, and did I mention SHELLEY WINTERS?  Grin

Your list of classic actors whom you dislike is a lot longer than mine, for sure.

I used to find Vincent Price very annoying, but I like him better now.

As for Joel McCrea, I like him and I think he was very sexy!

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2017, 11:58:21 PM »

Your list of classic actors whom you dislike is a lot longer than mine, for sure.

I used to find Vincent Price very annoying, but I like him better now.

As for Joel McCrea, I like him and I think he was very sexy!

Sorry, but Joel McRea's sexiness (or lack thereof) doesn't matter to me  Wink Reminds me of when a girl (not just any girl, but the first girl I ever kissed, who permanently scarred me) told me I HAD TO watch BAD BOYS, how great it was. Finally, finally, after a loong time, I saw it, and then complained to her that it was awful, and she didn't argue; she just said, "Any movie in which you get to see Will Smith in underwear is a good movie."  Angry Thanks a lot, I wish she had told me a long time ago that THAT was the reason she said it was a "great" movie. Would have saved 2 hours of my life!  Wink (Then again, if I hadn't met her I'd probably have saved 5 Years of my life. But I digress .....)

kjrwe
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2017, 11:26:08 PM »

Sorry, but Joel McRea's sexiness (or lack thereof) doesn't matter to me  Wink Reminds me of when a girl (not just any girl, but the first girl I ever kissed, who permanently scarred me) told me I HAD TO watch BAD BOYS, how great it was. Finally, finally, after a loong time, I saw it, and then complained to her that it was awful, and she didn't argue; she just said, "Any movie in which you get to see Will Smith in underwear is a good movie."  Angry Thanks a lot, I wish she had told me a long time ago that THAT was the reason she said it was a "great" movie. Would have saved 2 hours of my life!  Wink (Then again, if I hadn't met her I'd probably have saved 5 Years of my life. But I digress .....)

Ha ha....(about watching a film just to see Will Smith in his underwear).  Smiley Will Smith doesn't do anything for me. I think that Jim Hutton was the sexiest actor ever. In second place, there is Carl Brisson (from Murder at the Vanities). Other cuties: Jimmie Rodgers (singer), Jack Scott (singer), Joel McCrea, Barack Obama, Gary Cooper, David Niven, etc.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2017, 11:36:50 PM »

Ha ha....(about watching a film just to see Will Smith in his underwear).  Smiley Will Smith doesn't do anything for me. I think that Jim Hutton was the sexiest actor ever. In second place, there is Carl Brisson (from Murder at the Vanities). Other cuties: Jimmie Rodgers (singer), Jack Scott (singer), Joel McCrea, Barack Obama, Gary Cooper, David Niven, etc.

Do Claudia Cardinale, Marilyn Monroe, Rita Hayworth and Charlize Theron do anything for you?  Wink

kjrwe
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2017, 12:16:20 AM »

Do Claudia Cardinale, Marilyn Monroe, Rita Hayworth and Charlize Theron do anything for you?  Wink

I'm a straight female, so no.

However, I do enjoy Marilyn's acting in both The Asphalt Jungle and How to Marry a Millionaire.

Claudia Cardinale did a very good job in The Pink Panther, one of my favourite films.

I've seen Rita Hayworth in some films, but off-hand I can't remember any performance which really jumps out at me.

I'm not familiar with Charlize Theron and her movies.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2017, 12:32:22 AM »

Claudia Cardinale did a very good job in The Pink Panther, one of my favourite films.

Uh, ever hear of a movie called ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST? .....

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2017, 12:33:53 AM »

I'm a straight female, so no.

There's no such thing  Wink

kjrwe
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2017, 05:35:16 PM »

Uh, ever hear of a movie called ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST? .....

Sure I've heard of it, but I haven't seen it.

I'm not too much into westerns. I've seen some which I've enjoyed, but I really prefer mysteries and noir, along with comedies and dramas.

I'm not even sure if I've seen any Leone films. Hopefully that won't get me booted off this forum. Nah....the mods here are Gentlemen and they wouldn't do such a thing!

kjrwe
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2017, 05:37:08 PM »

There's no such thing  Wink

That's what a lot of guys on the film general board (on IMDb) used to say. They couldn't believe that a (straight) woman might be posting on an internet forum.

Finally, one of the women gave one of those guys a great reply. She said, "If we're male pretending to be female, then you're female pretending to be male".  Afro

Excellent answer!  Smiley

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2017, 05:57:52 PM »

Ha ha, yes, fantastic answer ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM