Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 05:54:18 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Magnificent Seven (2016)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Magnificent Seven (2016)  (Read 4640 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2017, 12:18:08 PM »

Finally watched this, liked the intro of Denzel then it kept ratcheting it up and up with a bit too much of everything else, a 6-7/10. In the last two days I watched a minimalist Western that was like waiting for paint to dry (Meek's Cutoff) and this which throws everything at the screen plus the kitchen sink.

Instead of remaking the fictitious Magnificent Seven, they should make a film about the Ludlow Massacre This was an attack by the Colorado National Guard and Colorado Fuel & Iron Company camp guards on a tent colony of 1,200 striking coal miners and their families at Ludlow, Colorado, on April 20, 1914. The guard used armored cars and machineguns.

About two dozen people, including miners' wives and children, were killed. The chief owner of the mine, John D. Rockefeller, Jr., was widely criticized for the incident.

In retaliation for Ludlow, the miners armed themselves and attacked dozens of mines over the next ten days, destroying property and engaging in several skirmishes with the Colorado National Guard along a 40-mile front from Trinidad to Walsenburg. The entire strike would cost between 69 and 199 lives. Thomas G. Andrews described it as the "deadliest strike in the history of the United States," commonly referred to as the Colorado Coalfield War.

So here, we got practically all the same ingredients that could have been about an entirely new film about a real incident, but what do we get out of Hollywood another fucking half assed remake.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2017, 12:22:33 PM »

Is it really a remake, or just another variation of the original (which was a remake), like the 3 old sequels?

Meek's Cutoff was btw an entertaining film, far more entertaining than the new Mag 7. (to come back to that entertainment question)

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2017, 12:24:55 PM »

Is it really a remake, or just another variation of the original (which was a remake), like the 3 old sequels?

Meek's Cutoff was btw an entertaining film, far more entertaining than the new Mag 7. (to come back to that entertainment question)

Yea what your definition of entertaining? I'd like to hear this?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2017, 01:28:07 PM »

Yea what your definition of entertaining? I'd like to hear this?

That what entertains me, what else?

That what is fun to watch, that what is easy to watch, that what is amazing, that what is not boring, that what is not mediocre etc

Difficult films are often more entertaining than simple films for me. That's unless they are boring of course Wink

Eric Rohmer, the classic paint-on-the-wall-drying director, was an absolute great entertainer. Wasn't he?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2017, 01:43:45 PM »

I guess we have different tastes, one man's carp is another man's cannoli.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM