Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 20, 2022, 09:45:26 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  NEW DIRECTORS CUT
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 49
: NEW DIRECTORS CUT  ( 462442 )
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #660 : July 07, 2015, 03:21:44 AM »

http://www.repubblica.it/spettacoli/cinema/2015/07/06/news/sergio_leone_c_era_una_volta_in_america_proiezione_prima-118456020/?ref=HREC1-36

A résumé of the various versions.

Ronin
Road Apple

My mistake... Four coffins.

« #661 : November 16, 2015, 12:03:55 PM »

Anyone think the Special Edition Blu Ray with the booklet will come back in print in the US? Currently listed on Amazon for  $179.00.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #662 : November 17, 2015, 08:11:29 AM »

I bought the single BD extended cut as the old cut on the second disc was identical to the previous BD.

What I'm now waiting to see is the remaining scenes that still haven't been included. A seamless branching BD would probably be best for that so you can choose how to watch without switching discs etc... unless the color/contrast changes really get to you.

Ronin
Road Apple

My mistake... Four coffins.

« #663 : November 17, 2015, 09:35:11 AM »

True, about the booklet. It looked nice though.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #664 : November 26, 2015, 07:16:26 PM »

I bought the single BD extended cut as the old cut on the second disc was identical to the previous BD.

What I'm now waiting to see is the remaining scenes that still haven't been included. A seamless branching BD would probably be best for that so you can choose how to watch without switching discs etc... unless the color/contrast changes really get to you.

Yeah, that is the ultimate dream, to have the extra 20 or so minutes added in, for a total running time of about 4 1/2 hours, which was Leone's ultimate preferred version. And with good image quality 😀

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #665 : November 27, 2015, 08:28:05 AM »

Yeah, that is the ultimate dream, to have the extra 20 or so minutes added in, for a total running time of about 4 1/2 hours, which was Leone's ultimate preferred version. And with good image quality 😀
That was his preferred cut for the projected TV version that never happened. There's no way he wanted a theatrical release that went that long.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #666 : November 28, 2015, 04:26:15 PM »

I wasn't there. 1984 was the year I was born.
But Frayling says that to get down to 3:47, Leone "very reluctantly" had to remove about 45 mins. of "significant" material. Leone's preferred version, if you believe Frayling, was around 4.5 hours.
If you doubt that Leone wanted a theatrical film that long, remember that Leone initially wanted an even bigger, two-part film, but had to abandon those plans cuz the studio was afraid after the failure of "1900."

Maybe Frayling is wrong. Maybe. But I'd trust his info RE: OUATIA even more than on the other movies. By that time, Frayling had already met Leone; that chapter on OUATIA seems to have more info than that of the other movies.

Maybe you think the 3:47 version is the ideal version. But I don't see a reason to doubt that Leone preferred the extra 45 minutes. Among those scenes (some of which were added back recently by Scorsese and some not (yet) ) contain important info for the narrative. Particularly the scenes with Eve. In the 3:47 version she appears out of nowhere and they're ccomfortable enough to discuss business in front of her. Also the scene with elderly Carol is pretty confusing in the 3:47 version; the fuller version explains that.
And how Noodles realizes his return is connected with Secretary Bailey's troubles - only in the longer version do we realize that it is because Noodles saw the limo that was tailing him at the cemetery blow up outside Bailey's estate.
I can certainly see why Leone considered this "significant material."

« : November 29, 2015, 05:44:31 PM drinkanddestroy »

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #667 : November 28, 2015, 06:58:29 PM »

If you doubt that Leone wanted a theatrical film that long, remember that Leone initially wanted an even bigger, two-part film, but had to abandon those plans cuz the studio was afraid after the failure of "1900."

Yes - I'd always thought Bertolucci's 1900 was where Leone found the idea for having it in two parts.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #668 : November 28, 2015, 10:11:09 PM »

I wasn't there. 1984 was the year I was born.
But Frayling says that to get downn to 3:47, Leone "very reluctantly" had to remove about 45 mins. of "significant" material. Leone's preferred version, if you believe Frayling, was around 4.5 hours.

Maybe Frayling is wrong. Maybe. But I'd trust his info RE: OUATIA even more than on the other movies. By that time, Frayling had already met Leone; that chapter on OUATIA seems to have more info than that of the other movies.

Maybe you think the 3:47 version is the ideal version. But I don't see a reason to doubt that Leone preferred the extra 45 minutes. Among those scenes (some of which were added back recently by Scorsese and some not (yet) ) contain important info for the narrative. Particularly the scenes with Eve. In the 3:47 version she appears out of nowhere and they're ccomfortable enough to discuss business in front of her. Also the scene with elderly Carol is pretty confusing in the 3:47 version; the fuller version explains that.
And how Noodles realizes his return is connected with Secretary Bailey's troubles - only in longer version do we realize that it is because Noodles saw the limo that was tailing him at the cemetery blow up outside Bailey's estate.
I can certainly see why Leone considered this "significant material."

Deep down, directors always prefer the longer versions. They worked so much on every line of dialogue, with the actors, the screenwriters, the cameramen... Cutting a shot is painful. Don't believe them. Listen to the editor. He's the guy who knows what story is supposed to be told. Because he wasn't on the set. Because it's his (only) job.

Everything that isn't linked to any on set problem (no time to do this so we did a cheaper version, actor who cannot tell his lines...) is "significant material". Hours have been spent for a line to be written this way. For the actor to tell it this way. For the frame, the lighting to hit this this way. "Significant material" is a meaningless term because everything that was done on set was "significant".

« : November 28, 2015, 10:15:07 PM noodles_leone »

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #669 : November 29, 2015, 09:38:37 AM »

He also stated somewhere else that the 2 parts idea was abandoned when 1900 flopped. He said many things at different times, like you said yourself. In the end, I think the "truth" on the topic doesn't even exist since these decisions have been made while the movie was still in the cutting room. They were still creating it. The same cannot be said of the 2 hours version, which is ulterior.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #670 : November 29, 2015, 01:57:29 PM »

This indicates to me that Leone didn't know that the Ladd Company would find a 270 min version unacceptable until 4 months after the start of editing.

4 months editing a movie sounds like a long time to me and I would be surprised if by that time little progess had been made in achieving Leone' vision for the movie.

I think you'd be surprised. 4 months of editing would be a regular duration for a 120 minutes movie, which is not what we're talking about here. If I had to guess I would say they were right in the middle of it, which means something like a 6 hours rough cut which would include some finished scenes. But I'm just randomly guessing. I don't know a lot about editing a 35mm feature film in the 80's.

« : November 29, 2015, 02:02:30 PM noodles_leone »

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #671 : November 29, 2015, 02:28:57 PM »

Weren't the now new scenes not already more or less finished?. Wasn't there a kind of a 270 min version from which the new scenes were taken. Not a completely ready version, but at least one the restorers could work from without completely guessing how the new scenes should be cut?

I own the Blu, but actually I never watched the whole new footage of this already overlong film.

For me the 229 min version will remain the real Leone deal anyway.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #672 : November 29, 2015, 05:51:39 PM »

I think you'd be surprised. 4 months of editing would be a regular duration for a 120 minutes movie, which is not what we're talking about here. If I had to guess I would say they were right in the middle of it, which means something like a 6 hours rough cut which would include some finished scenes. But I'm just randomly guessing. I don't know a lot about editing a 35mm feature film in the 80's.

Frayling actually  says there was 6 to 10 hours of  usable footage, from which ( after having to abandon his plans for a two-part movie) Leone  made his preferred 4.5-hour version, which he later reluctantly cut down to 3:47

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #673 : November 30, 2015, 02:55:46 AM »

Frayling actually  says there was 6 to 10 hours of  usable footage, from which ( after having to abandon his plans for a two-part movie) Leone  made his preferred 4.5-hour version, which he later reluctantly cut down to 3:47

These quotes are often mistakable, cause they often refer to rough cuts, which are often twice as long as the final edit.

And the correct runtime is still 229 min or 3:49 hours. That's how the film was released unless censorial cuts were made in some countries.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #674 : November 30, 2015, 04:23:04 AM »

Listen to Stanton. He's always right.
Except when he's talking about French stuff.
Or about The Lady From Shanghai.

: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 49  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines