Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2017, 10:57:29 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  NEW DIRECTORS CUT
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] Go Down Print
Author Topic: NEW DIRECTORS CUT  (Read 218741 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #780 on: July 05, 2016, 12:39:45 PM »

Just viewed the extended scenes up to the end of Prohibition they really don't add much do they? The Eve stuff is probably the most interesting.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 12:41:20 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #781 on: July 06, 2016, 01:42:25 AM »

Just viewed the extended scenes up to the end of Prohibition they really don't add much do they? The Eve stuff is probably the most interesting.

Whilst I'm glad I've seen the additional scenes, the extended version is a bit of a disappointment.

It may be slightly sharper than WB's 2011 Blu-ray, but there's a tint throughout, compression artifacts and a lowering of contrast.  Ignoring notices about the restoration etc, the running time has been increased by 20 mins 38 secs only.

This is less that the 26 minutes promised and a further 20 mins 22 secs needs to be added to bring it closer to Leone's 270 min version. I can only hope that one day a better version which addresses some of the shortcomings will be released.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #782 on: July 06, 2016, 01:00:11 PM »

I mentioned earlier that I thought the following additional scene was the only one that should never have been cut:

Gang in water / car explosion
Absolutely essential. The whole thing is shot and edited beautifully with a wonderful visual transition between the two time periods. Furthermore the introduction of the garbage truck helps with storyline continuity by linking with the end of the film. This should never have been cut.

The other scene I thought partially warranted inclusion was the following:

Noodles meets Eve at Moe's place / Deborah in station cafe
The beginning introducing Eve is essential for the storyline; the end with Deborah drinking in the cafe is essential for stylistic continuity and is a really beautiful little shot; the sex scene in the middle is unnecessary. After Noodles gets up to leave Moe’s speakeasy with Eve and asks if he can call her Deborah, there should have been a cut directly to Deborah in the cafe. This would have tied together the two of them drinking their sorrows away (Noodles at the bar, Deborah in the cafe) with Noodles’ mention of Deborah allowing a verbal link to accompany the visual. Unfortunately the sex scene between Noodles and Eve between these two scenes does not allow for this continuity.

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM