Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 07:51:57 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  NEW DIRECTORS CUT
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NEW DIRECTORS CUT  (Read 227184 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2008, 12:02:25 AM »

Bugsy's arrest, Noodles' family, the young gang acting as normal kids, how Noodles met Eve, subsequent scenes with Eve, the older gang's humor and interaction with the public, Noodles relationships with women could be important scenes and if they could be seamlessly incorporated into the movie, the end result could be fantastic.  The nearer we can get to Leone's vision the better.
But Leone's vision may have included suppressing some or all of those scenes.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2008, 11:19:09 AM »

I would like the scene where Bugsy gets arrested, because it would explain why the gang is hired by the Capuanos, and why Bugsy is so keen on killing them later on. Maybe the Eve scenes too. But otherwise, I think I could live without most of teh cut footage.

The scene with Noodles in bed with Eve, pointing a gun, was another scene that might not jive with the film as such. Frayling recounts this scene in STDWD, saying that Noodles and Eve are together (I believe this is the scene where Eve reveals she wears "falsies") and Max and Carol burst in, telling them it's time to go to the beach.

Saturday nights with Groggy
MatViola
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2008, 09:58:20 PM »

In Oreste De Fornari's book on Leone there's a chapter entitled 'Leone on Leone' in which the director discusses each of his films. Writing in 1988 about the different versions of Once Upon a Time in America Leone said, "Then there is the very long one that has never been been edited and which lasts fifty minutes longer. Four and a half hours. But we rejected the idea of two parts on TV. It is so intricate that it has to be done in one evening. And besides, let's be honest: this one is my version. The other perhaps explained things more clearly and it could have been done on TV in two or three parts. But the version that I prefer is this one, that bit of reclusiveness is just what I like about it."

At one point Leone may have wanted to reinsert those missing scenes, but it sounds to me like he later changed his mind, and this could explain why his daughter has expressed reluctance about putting them back into the film.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2008, 04:26:29 AM »

Thanks for that information  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2008, 06:06:47 PM »

Wasn't there at one point a plan--subsequently abandoned, I gather--to produce a longer, TV cut of OUATIA, to air after the theatrical cut had finished its run? In that case, there would have been two different versions of the film, both sanctioned by Leone, but intended for different markets. Something like this now exists with the longer and shorter cuts of The Last Emperor, out on DVD from Criterion. The longer cut is being called the TV cut, and the original theatrical cut is being called the Director's Cut (and apparently, Bertolucci prefers the shorter version).

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
LITTLE BIG MAN
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2008, 08:48:04 AM »

Sorry didnít t want to rain on everyoneís parade - but I spoke to a nice lady recently at Warner Brothers West Coast Home Entertainment Dept. (SNR EXEC) she stated that she had heard nothing regarding a new Directors Cut DVD release of OUATIA.  She knew all about all WBís forthcoming Special Editions and OUATIA wasnít one of them!  Also she had been at the Venice Film Festival and stated she would have heard something.  Sorry guys & girls but thatís what she told me.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2008, 11:19:54 AM »

I'm perfectly happy with what I have at the moment, so no rain for me.  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2008, 12:19:45 PM »

But thats a very old documentary Derbent but i'm hoping that  Little Big Mans source maybe wrong as it would be out of this world to see an extra two hours plus of Leone footage. Sad

Derbent 5000
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2010, 02:41:49 PM »

Check this out

There's few evidence that longer version as two part movie original four and a half hour is exist  

http://www.lumiere2009.org/uk/actualites.html?actu_id=319

Arnon Milchan quote  "There's another half hour we're planning to put back and come with the full director's version. This time I know what to do" (he meant that is closest Sergio Leone intended version)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YEPHkP6DAk

Few days go I went to Central Library and read Sergio Leone Biography "Something To Do With Death" by Christopher Frayling also says that
270 Minutes is definitive version (But it's only rummors no one knew original version except director himself)

post you comments and tell what you think about this

« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 12:50:02 AM by Derbent 5000 » Logged
Derbent 5000
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2010, 02:54:52 PM »

Arnon Milchan says in the documentary about puting scenes back in, and also showing six cans of scenes with the each name on it, and says that makes full director's version, that means scenes allready been dubbed long ago, but he didn't mention about new transfer about color restoration anything like that, but i think personally to restore movie like this carefully frame by frame takes years in terms of running time, to restore not only additional scenes but to restore movie it self from start to finish for scratches, dirts, grain, to give movie descent quality better than first transfer to make fans happy

Arnon Milchan didn't mention anything about release just said "This Time I Know What to do" according to his interview hopefully will see release maybe in the public theatres and possibly on Bluray

Warner Home Video released DVD in 2003 to make movie fans finally happy to see with descent picture and sound

i hope will hear something new soon about future release DVD/Blu-ray

post and share you thoughts and comments

« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 07:34:06 PM by Derbent 5000 » Logged
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2010, 06:05:45 PM »

The "Once Upon A Time" is a very old documentary Derbent so i'm not overly optimistic that anything's gonna come out in a hurry.But in view of the new extra's on the GBU  Blueray disc we can be hopeful as i see no reason why all the scenes that weren't included on Leone's intended cut shouldn't be up to the quality of the current version and therefore should be incorporated into a new dvd.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 06:07:08 PM by Banjo » Logged
Derbent 5000
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2010, 11:21:31 PM »

Basically the longer definitive version of Once Upon A Time In America called TV version and has been show on Italian and German Television approx 4 hours and 30 something min for example that Bernardo Bertolucci extended version of The Last Emperor TV version 218 min, 160 min theatrical Ingmar Bergman Fanny And Alexander TV version 312 min, theatrical 188 min and Scenes From A Marriage TV version 299 min, 155 min theatrical and Wolfgang Petersen of Das Boot 209 min(called director's version) mini series 330 min, the 293 min uncut TV Version

« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 07:51:22 PM by Derbent 5000 » Logged
Derbent 5000
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2010, 11:46:22 PM »

but one thing i just don't understand the Lumiere Inst claims The film was originally planned as two sections, to be screened several days apart and totalling four and a half hours. after producers objected and Leone reduced it to a single screening of three hours forty minutes.

http://www.lumiere2009.org/uk/actualites.html?actu_id=319

so what is that telling us that scenes were allready dubbed and edited

what are you guys think about that?

share you thoughts and comments

« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 12:14:30 AM by Derbent 5000 » Logged
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2011, 11:16:09 PM »

Certain things are unexplained 229-minute version. Some examples:

1. We don't know when or how Noodles received the invitation to Secretary Bailey's party; we just see him telling Deborah about it.
2. Frankie (the Joe Pesci character) mysteriously appears at the end of the scene where Noodles & Maxie are in the hospital with Jimmy and then decide to go on a Florida vacation together. We never see the significance of Frankie's appearance.
3. Eve kind of appears out of nowhere, ie. we never see where Noodles meets her

I have heard that many of the scenes with Eve are among those that were cut.

So yes, I would love to see the deleted scenes.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 26, 2011, 02:47:43 AM »

2. Frankie (the Joe Pesci character) mysteriously appears at the end of the scene where Noodles & Maxie are in the hospital with Jimmy and then decide to go on a Florida vacation together. We never see the significance of Frankie's appearance.

I often wondered 'bout that as a kid.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM