Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 04:56:24 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  NEW DIRECTORS CUT
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NEW DIRECTORS CUT  (Read 222038 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 26, 2011, 05:54:04 AM »

I often wondered 'bout that as a kid.

yeah, I am sure that there is a significance to it that would be explained in the director's cut.

And the scene with the old Noodles walking with the suitcase and the frisbee mysteriously flying over his head is quite possibly part of a cut scene as well.

Another thing I found strange is that once Noodles gets out of prison, he immediately begins going on jobs with the group, and voicing his opinion when he disagrees with them, and opening his mouth to Frankie, a big mobster. You would think that if he just got out of prison and suddenly sees that his buddies have been successful gangsters, that a) he would shut his mouth and not argue with their methods; and b) there would be some discussion and "practice" for them to discuss business with him, for him to practice shooting a gun, etc. It seems kinda weird to me that one night Noodles gets out of prison, and immediately he is doing hardcore jobs with them as if he is an experienced member, and arguing with them as if he is an equal member.

Yeah, even in the 229-minute version -- which I believe is one of the greatest movies of all time -- there are several instances where you can tell some scenes are missing. I would absolutely love to see the version Leone intended to release, which according to Christopher Frayling was between 250 - 265 minutes.

(In fact, they shot something like 6-10 hours of footage; Leone originally intended to release it  as a 6 hour/ 2-part movie, which the studio refused).

YOU DON'T MESS WITH A MASTER!

« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 05:55:48 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2011, 06:45:31 AM »

Certain things are unexplained 229-minute version. Some examples:

3. Eve kind of appears out of nowhere, ie. we never see where Noodles meets her

Noodles "met" Eve at the bank during the robbery, made a small deposit !!!  And they say that early withdrawal results in loss of interest - TRUE !!!

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2011, 08:16:22 AM »

2. Frankie (the Joe Pesci character) mysteriously appears at the end of the scene where Noodles & Maxie are in the hospital with Jimmy and then decide to go on a Florida vacation together. We never see the significance of Frankie's appearance.

The detailed script outline Frayling provides indicates that Frankie had no additional scenes than what's in the finished film. His brief appearance at the hospital just seems a metaphor of the Mob coming between Noodles and Max, or foreshadowing of what's to come. I like how people read so much into this brief and, to me, obvious scene.

3. Eve kind of appears out of nowhere, ie. we never see where Noodles meets her

I have heard that many of the scenes with Eve are among those that were cut.

Yes, although one of the scenes would effect the finish film's continuity and may not have been filmed.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2011, 08:16:53 AM »

Noodles "met" Eve at the bank during the robbery, made a small deposit !!!  And they say that early withdrawal results in loss of interest - TRUE !!!

That's Carol not Eve.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 26, 2011, 09:25:03 AM »

It's perfectly understandable people are interested about everything shown in the movie Groggy.

As for Frankie's appearance in the hospital: the way he acts, it's not so hard to decipher Frankie had something going on behind Noodles' back, it's just that we'd like to see what, and when, and how much. Wink

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2011, 09:27:33 AM »

Another thing I found strange is that once Noodles gets out of prison, he immediately begins going on jobs with the group, and voicing his opinion when he disagrees with them, and opening his mouth to Frankie, a big mobster. You would think that if he just got out of prison and suddenly sees that his buddies have been successful gangsters, that a) he would shut his mouth and not argue with their methods; and b) there would be some discussion and "practice" for them to discuss business with him, for him to practice shooting a gun, etc. It seems kinda weird to me that one night Noodles gets out of prison, and immediately he is doing hardcore jobs with them as if he is an experienced member, and arguing with them as if he is an equal member.

Same here, I thought about that too more than once - it isn't very believable.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2011, 09:28:16 AM »

Most OUATIA fans would love to see the deleted scenes but there are no new statements from the people with the power to make something happen.  I've not seen anything from the studios, Milchan's promise was made in 1999 and Raffaella Leone's interview was in September 2006.

Details of the deleted and unfilmed scenes are in the shooting script and this doesn't contain scenes explaining how Noodles received the invitation to Secretary Bailey's party or the mysterious appearance of Frankie at the hospital.  The frisbee is just an imaginative visual link between scenes, with the misleading undertone that something bad is going to happen to Noodles.

Viewing the deleted scenes would however tell us a lot about Eve and her relationship with Noodles, Noodles' family and early poverty, why Bugsy hates the gang so much and important parts of the story.  For example a black limousine tailing Noodles at the cemetary, Noodles standing near the gates to the rear of Bailey's mansion and watching as the same black limousine explodes.  Jimmy's conversation with Bailey letting us know about his involvement with the unions, that he has made mistakes and how he would benefit from taking his own life.

Throughout the movie, Leone uses imaginative visual links to tie scenes together.  If all the scenes in the script had been included in the movie it would have been uncomfortably long for a single film but the removal of some scenes has weakened some of these visual links.  Examples:

The gang go swimming in a car and the car disappearing under the water is linked to a burnt-out car being sprayed with foam. In the original script, the car disappears under the water and is linked to Noodles' head surfacing in a Turkish baths.

Noodles, standing near an oriental building, watches a garbage truck disappear into the distance (driven on the left hand side of the road), a procession of old cars passes by and links to Noodles' arrival at the opium den.  Noodles watching the procession of cars was to be linked to a procession in Chinatown which would then have more easily linked to the opium den scenes.

Afro

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2011, 02:31:12 PM »

As for Frankie's appearance in the hospital: the way he acts, it's not so hard to decipher Frankie had something going on behind Noodles' back, it's just that we'd like to see what, and when, and how much. Wink
Wouldja believe . . . they're conspiring to cut Noodles out and set him up to look like a stoolie?

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 27, 2011, 02:13:25 AM »

Wouldja believe . . . they're conspiring to cut Noodles out and set him up to look like a stoolie?

Either that, or Frankie is a sanitary engineer.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 27, 2011, 05:03:50 AM »

Same here, I thought about that too more than once - it isn't very believable.

Indeed, it is not very believable as it is; but perhaps the cut scenes explain some of this. Maybe there are some scenes of Noodles going on other jobs with them and being "indoctrinated" as a full member before he starts opening his mouth to Maxie and Frankie...?

btw, some people have cited the scripts as provided by Frayling as the full shooting script, but I wonder if the footage was actually shot from those scripts, or whether those were just early versions of scripts that were later changed? Or does anyone know whether there is a script out there that contains the full 6-10 hours of film that was shot?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2011, 06:46:33 PM »

That's Carol not Eve.

Ooops !!! Now I have an excuse to watch it again, it's been about two years !!!  Thanks !!!

Derbent 5000
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 11, 2011, 02:34:46 PM »

Once Upon A Time In America getting extended running time closest to the director's version

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6007

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/archives/new_cut_of_sergio_leones_once_upon_a_time_in_america_on_the_way_with_40/#

only 25 minutes has been reinserted instead of promised 40

« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 08:06:01 PM by Derbent 5000 » Logged
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 11, 2011, 03:08:03 PM »

if this is indeed happening, this is the absolute greatest news I have heard in a loooong time. YEEEEHAH!!!

btw, I never even knew that the movie has been released on Blu Ray till I read these links. I am wondering if anyone can tell me whether the Blu Ray has any features that the regular dvd does not have? Specifically, does the Blu Ray have a Frayling commentary?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 11, 2011, 03:15:38 PM »

I see it says that Leone's kids have acquired the Italian rights to the film; does this mean this new release will only be released in Italian? That would suuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 12, 2011, 02:35:18 AM »

if this is indeed happening, this is the absolute greatest news I have heard in a loooong time. YEEEEHAH!!!

That might have just made my day!

btw, I never even knew that the movie has been released on Blu Ray till I read these links. I am wondering if anyone can tell me whether the Blu Ray has any features that the regular dvd does not have? Specifically, does the Blu Ray have a Frayling commentary?

Same as DVD

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM