Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 01:54:48 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  NEW DIRECTORS CUT
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NEW DIRECTORS CUT  (Read 227860 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2011, 06:16:33 PM »

btw, earlier in this thread we were discussing whether the scene of Frankie walking into the elevator and the frisbee scene were part of larger, cut scenes. Well I just looked up the OUATIA chapter in STDWD again; Frayling has a script there from 1981. Though parts of it differ from the final script, those 2 parts are as is. So I guess they were indeed intended that way and never meant to be part of any bigger scene

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Shambaby
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2011, 10:12:00 PM »

OMG!   I am on the OUTIA wavelength.  What else would possess me to check this board out today!  My dream will finally come true!

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: March 13, 2011, 10:41:02 PM »

I'm intrigued, but I'm also of the school of thought that OUATIA is long (and complete) enough.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 14, 2011, 03:18:00 AM »

I'm intrigued, but I'm also of the school of thought that OUATIA is long (and complete) enough.

I don't, and if you care to know why, I explained it at length on the bottom post on p. 1 of this thread http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=10151.0  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: March 14, 2011, 09:08:40 AM »

I'm not saying the missing footage isn't of interest, but frankly I'd rather have it available separately as part of the special features. The 229-minute version is good enough as it is, even if a few minor points bug me.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: March 14, 2011, 09:32:47 AM »

btw, earlier in this thread we were discussing whether the scene of Frankie walking into the elevator and the frisbee scene were part of larger, cut scenes. Well I just looked up the OUATIA chapter in STDWD again; Frayling has a script there from 1981. Though parts of it differ from the final script, those 2 parts are as is. So I guess they were indeed intended that way and never meant to be part of any bigger scene

That's what I've been saying!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 14, 2011, 10:45:53 AM »

I'm not saying the missing footage isn't of interest, but frankly I'd rather have it available separately as part of the special features. The 229-minute version is good enough as it is, even if a few minor points bug me.
I disagree, mostly because of the way Leone shaped the film. The long flashback structure allows for more episodes to be incorporated, possibly an infinite number, if such were theoretically possible. Another film that seems incapable of ever being too long is GBU: if tomorrow it was discovered that the long lost scene with Blondie and the whore had been discovered, I'd say, Get it in there. And anything else that comes along. The more adventures the better.

By contrast, I wouldn't add anything more back into OUATITW: it is perfect the way it is, has achieved its optimal length. Same with FAFDM.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 14, 2011, 11:39:27 AM »

That's what I've been saying!

Indeed, Groggy.  I give you props once in a while too!  Wink

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 14, 2011, 11:40:43 AM »

I disagree, mostly because of the way Leone shaped the film. The long flashback structure allows for more episodes to be incorporated, possibly an infinite number, if such were theoretically possible. Another film that seems incapable of ever being too long is GBU: if tomorrow it was discovered that the long lost scene with Blondie and the whore had been discovered, I'd say, Get it in there. And anything else that comes along. The more adventures the better.

By contrast, I wouldn't add anything more back into OUATITW: it is perfect the way it is, has achieved its optimal length. Same with FAFDM.

I am very happy that Leone chose not to use Clint's scenes with the women in FAFDM and GBU. Woulda had no place in there  Smiley

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 14, 2011, 11:45:56 AM »

Well you'll always have the option of viewing the 229-minute version separately.
I'm happy I'll have the opportunity to view the new 4.5 hour version as well. That's the version the Master wanted, and I can't wait to get my hands on it  Smiley

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: March 14, 2011, 01:05:55 PM »

I disagree, mostly because of the way Leone shaped the film. The long flashback structure allows for more episodes to be incorporated, possibly an infinite number, if such were theoretically possible.

Could is not the same as should.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: March 14, 2011, 01:08:02 PM »

Also, do we know definitively what scenes from the script were actually filmed? (I guess we'll soon find out.) I have a hard time believing that the extra scenes with Danny Aiello's character, or Carol telling Noodles about Eve's suicide, would fit into the narrative.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 14, 2011, 01:23:25 PM »

Also, do we know definitively what scenes from the script were actually filmed? (I guess we'll soon find out.) I have a hard time believing that the extra scenes with Danny Aiello's character, or Carol telling Noodles about Eve's suicide, would fit into the narrative.

bottom paragraph on p. 458 of STDWD:

"(Leone's) ideal running time would have been 'between four hours ten minutes and four hours twenty-five minutes'" but he very reluctantly excised between forty-five and fifty minutes worth of 'significant material.' "

Frayling indeed goes on to mention the specific scenes that were cut:

-- Background on the young Noodles, his impoverished family, and his rejection of their religious devotion
-- "certain visual leitmotifs - a black limo tailing Noodles, an ominous garbage truck"
-- Senator Bailey's dispute with the elderly Jimmy O'Donnell over the pensions scam
-- Noodles' opium-rich flashback to himself and the gang as children
-- all of Louise Fletcher's performance as the director of Riverdale cemetery
-- most of Darlanne Fleugel's as Eve (including her meeting with Noodles, and his revelation that she sports 'falsies')
-- "some of Elizabeth McGovern's work (including her Busby Berkely and Shakespeare routines)
-- Carol telling Noodles about Max's syphilis from her rest home

Additionally, Frayling says that Leone "had ten hours of usable footage in the can." (id.)  However, if the 40 minutes that will now be restored are indeed those scenes which Leone wanted in but "very reluctantly" had to excise, then we can know what to expect.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 08:18:35 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 14, 2011, 03:10:34 PM »

Leone wanted this extra 40mins in it and I would definitely like to see it the way he intended.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 14, 2011, 03:18:34 PM »

Leone wanted this extra 40mins in it and I would definitely like to see it the way he intended.

Afro

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM