Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 07:33:07 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  NEW DIRECTORS CUT
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NEW DIRECTORS CUT  (Read 221165 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: April 05, 2011, 07:26:42 AM »

There's some relevance to Milchan's additional scene but I hope they changed the dialogue:
Really? Sounds like pretty good dialogue to me.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 05, 2011, 11:43:35 PM »

It sounds like it doesn't belong in the OUATIA I know.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 07, 2011, 01:08:58 PM »

I'm not saying the missing footage isn't of interest, but frankly I'd rather have it available separately as part of the special features. The 229-minute version is good enough as it is, even if a few minor points bug me.

Leone in De Fornari p25-6:

"Then there is the very long one that has never been edited and which lasts fifty minutes longer. Four and a half hours. But we rejected the idea of two parts on TV. It is so intricate that it has to be done in one evening. And besides, let's be honest: This one is my version. The other perhaps explained things more clearly and it could have been done on TV in two or three parts, but the version that I prefer is this one, that bit of reclusiveness is just what I like about it."

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 07, 2011, 02:51:37 PM »

Leone in De Fornari p25-6:

"Then there is the very long one that has never been edited and which lasts fifty minutes longer. Four and a half hours. But we rejected the idea of two parts on TV. It is so intricate that it has to be done in one evening. And besides, let's be honest: This one is my version. The other perhaps explained things more clearly and it could have been done on TV in two or three parts, but the version that I prefer is this one, that bit of reclusiveness is just what I like about it."

according to Frayling, it didn't seem like Leone was thrilled to have cut the 50 minutes. who knows...

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 07, 2011, 02:52:36 PM »

is there an expected release date for the restored version? I can't remember ever anticipating anything more than this  Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 08, 2011, 12:40:34 AM »

according to Frayling, it didn't seem like Leone was thrilled to have cut the 50 minutes. who knows...

He wasn't.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: June 08, 2011, 03:22:10 AM »

He also said somewhere in The Conversations that OUATITW was "95% himself" and OUATIA (european cut) "99%".
So I guess he was cool with that.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 08, 2011, 01:54:41 PM »

Actually it was 80% and a 100% (p.136)  Wink. So yes, I guess he was pretty happy nonetheless.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 09, 2011, 08:36:02 PM »

p. 458 of STDWD... Leone's "ideal running time, he said, would have been 'between 4:10 and 4:25,' but he  very reluctantly excised between forty-five and fifty minutes' worth of 'significant material.' "

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: June 10, 2011, 02:05:34 AM »

Actually it was 80% and a 100% (p.136)  Wink. So yes, I guess he was pretty happy nonetheless.

Oh? I'm pretty sure I read other % somewhere. May be in the Cahiers du Cinema? I'll double check!

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 12, 2011, 02:53:44 PM »

Yup, as noodles_leone put it:

...OUATITW was "95% himself" and OUATIA (european cut) "99%".

I think noodles_leone's point is that OUATIA, in the version that most of the world outside of the US saw, allowed Leone to be 99% himself. If the whole world had only seen the butchered version, he could not have said that because no-one would ever have seen what Leone's vision was.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 13, 2011, 06:01:55 PM »

Ora l'Immagine Ritrovata sta riparando "C'era una volta in America" di Leone: deve essere pronto per Cannes 2012
  Afro Afro

http://bologna.repubblica.it/cronaca/2011/10/01/news/nel_laboratorio_di_restauro_dei_film_che_pure_scorsese_invidia_a_bologna-22504184/

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 13, 2011, 06:09:13 PM »

Translation, please? Thanks Afro

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 13, 2011, 06:34:46 PM »

By Google but you can get the gist of it

It also works nights and weekends to meet deadlines. Now the picture they are restoring is "Once Upon a Time in America" ​​by Leone to be ready for Cannes 2012

"We have a lot of work, sometimes over night we respect the time and also from December on weekends, but we do not know what will be our future." The speaker is Helen Tammaccaro, between the leaders of the Image Laboratory found again that if the Municipal Film Archive will not be able to become Foundation later this year will close its doors. Yesterday the Mayor for Cultural Ronchi, in the City Council, confirmed that the transformation will occur. The workshop brings useful and is considered one of the centers of excellence of the restoration in Europe. These days it is restoring Upon a Time in America Sergio Leone, Martin Scorsese's Film Foundation and want ready for Cannes 2012.

In addition to that of Helen, at the risk of other places there are 32 people, including 15 and 17 employees hired. Professionals to bring back to life the film they are targeting film archives all over the world, including Hong Kong and Singapore as well as the now famous collaboration with Scorsese's Film Foundation and the French Gaumont and Pathé. "It's a gamble born in the 90s - remembers Gian Luca Farinelli, director of the Film Archive - Film Found from experience that made us feel first hand the lack of a place in Italy for restoration. With a course specially created and the first equipment funded by the Province began a limited company, then on the initiative of Mayor Cofferati became a company in cohousing with the City. " But the big problem today is cohousing.

"Thanks to a law wanted by Tremonti - explains Farinelli - from 2012 will no longer be companies within the municipalities. But the laboratory is difficult to sell, even if it's useful. Its value is not only economic, it is an asset for throughout the city. " A heritage of meticulous work and avant-garde technology, passion and a solid philological cultural background. "When a film comes to us to be restored - explains Tammaccaro - the first thing we do is to recover the historical memory. We have worked with directors of photography and operators such as Ennio Guarnieri for the sweet life, Daniel Nannuzzi for The Damned, or same directors as Vittorio De Seta for his short ". Then for each title is an ad-hoc path. "We do not just repair the damage, try to return to work its value."

A commitment that requires at least three months to film. Arrived in Via Riva Reno the film is over, frame by frame, to fix the flaws evident manually, then it is scanned in order to continue with the "clean" digital, then you are working on lights and colors involving the workers of the time. All the while in parallel it back to life sound. And, finally, it's back to film. So it was Visconti's Senso, for Sergio Leone's A Fistful of Dynamite, short for the Brothers Lumière and other dozens of masterpieces. So it is these days for America Loen, but The Great Illusion by Jean Renoir, End of Days by Elio Petri and Chaplin's The Gold Rush. And so we hope to continue to be from January onwards.

(October 1, 2011)

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 13, 2011, 06:43:16 PM »

By Google but you can get the gist of it

It also works nights and weekends to meet deadlines. Now the picture they are restoring is "Once Upon a Time in America" ​​by Leone to be ready for Cannes 2012

"We have a lot of work, sometimes over night we respect the time and also from December on weekends, but we do not know what will be our future." The speaker is Helen Tammaccaro, between the leaders of the Image Laboratory found again that if the Municipal Film Archive will not be able to become Foundation later this year will close its doors. Yesterday the Mayor for Cultural Ronchi, in the City Council, confirmed that the transformation will occur. The workshop brings useful and is considered one of the centers of excellence of the restoration in Europe. These days it is restoring Upon a Time in America Sergio Leone, Martin Scorsese's Film Foundation and want ready for Cannes 2012.

In addition to that of Helen, at the risk of other places there are 32 people, including 15 and 17 employees hired. Professionals to bring back to life the film they are targeting film archives all over the world, including Hong Kong and Singapore as well as the now famous collaboration with Scorsese's Film Foundation and the French Gaumont and Pathé. "It's a gamble born in the 90s - remembers Gian Luca Farinelli, director of the Film Archive - Film Found from experience that made us feel first hand the lack of a place in Italy for restoration. With a course specially created and the first equipment funded by the Province began a limited company, then on the initiative of Mayor Cofferati became a company in cohousing with the City. " But the big problem today is cohousing.

"Thanks to a law wanted by Tremonti - explains Farinelli - from 2012 will no longer be companies within the municipalities. But the laboratory is difficult to sell, even if it's useful. Its value is not only economic, it is an asset for throughout the city. " A heritage of meticulous work and avant-garde technology, passion and a solid philological cultural background. "When a film comes to us to be restored - explains Tammaccaro - the first thing we do is to recover the historical memory. We have worked with directors of photography and operators such as Ennio Guarnieri for the sweet life, Daniel Nannuzzi for The Damned, or same directors as Vittorio De Seta for his short ". Then for each title is an ad-hoc path. "We do not just repair the damage, try to return to work its value."

A commitment that requires at least three months to film. Arrived in Via Riva Reno the film is over, frame by frame, to fix the flaws evident manually, then it is scanned in order to continue with the "clean" digital, then you are working on lights and colors involving the workers of the time. All the while in parallel it back to life sound. And, finally, it's back to film. So it was Visconti's Senso, for Sergio Leone's A Fistful of Dynamite, short for the Brothers Lumière and other dozens of masterpieces. So it is these days for America Loen, but The Great Illusion by Jean Renoir, End of Days by Elio Petri and Chaplin's The Gold Rush. And so we hope to continue to be from January onwards.

(October 1, 2011)

haha this shit cracks me up.  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

I'm hopin one of our European friend can provide a proper translation

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM