Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 05:18:38 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  NEW DIRECTORS CUT
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NEW DIRECTORS CUT  (Read 227678 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: March 17, 2012, 09:42:53 AM »

What does it say?

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 18, 2012, 10:12:57 PM »

Google translation (first paragraph or so):

"The announcement is not official yet, but the microphones of Radio Alma , Gianluca Farinelli , the director of the new and contested "foundation" Film Library , as revealed during the next summer we could see, in Piazza Maggiore in Bologna, uncut and restored version of Once Upon a Time in America"

The rest doesn't' say much, other than a mention of an original 4 1/2 hour cut before being cut down, and obvious details on the back story of the film.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: March 19, 2012, 08:55:51 AM »

Thanks! So there is hope.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 19, 2012, 02:56:55 PM »

Yeah, this looks like it's really happening. I am just hoping that it is widely available and released on dvd/blu ray in America (not just shown a few times in one festival or another).

If/when it indeed happens that the dvd/blu ray is released in America, of the full version that Leone really intended (4:40 or so), it will be one of the happiest days of my life  Smiley Smiley Smiley

« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 02:58:51 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Shambaby
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 12, 2012, 11:39:35 AM »

I think I will go insane if the new director's cut of OUATIA is at Cannes this May.  (the first time, they stood and applauded for 15 minutes!)
This is a life-long dream come true!  I must see it on the big screen!
The screen I saw it on in Chicago no longer exists.  They chopped up that old great theatre.  Anyway, I wonder if Ennio has written any new themes for the film.
There would have to be a new soundtrack released, right?  Please keep me up to date!   

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 12, 2012, 12:49:15 PM »

I remember reading something on these boards about Morricone writing new music for it (though I am sure it will just be variations on the existing melodies rather than entirely new melodies), but I do not remember how accurate it was.

I get aroused every time I think of this new version of the movie that is coming out. But after all this anticipation, I just hope that I get to orgasm and don't get blue-balled. I don't think I could take it  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 14, 2012, 05:53:36 AM »

Excellent news! Afro

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 14, 2012, 08:43:54 AM »

Sweeeeeeet......... boy would I love to be able to attend that Cannes screening  Afro Afro Afro

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 14, 2012, 10:18:46 AM »

Recent interview with Martin Scorsese in which he talks about Wolf of Wall Street that he hopes to start shooting in late summer and  Once Upon a Time in America:

"We have a wonderful film thatís been restored now thatíll be at Cannes called Once Upon a Time in America. Sergio Leone. Itís about 5 1/2 hours, this extraordinary gangster film that Leone made with De Niro and Jimmy Woods. Itís quite an achievement."

http://uk.askmen.com/entertainment/better_look/b_martin-scorsese-interview.html

It looks like this is really happening . WOW!

If I had a Facebook page I'd be updating my status to Guardedly Optimistic.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 14, 2012, 09:29:02 PM »

Thanks for the link, once  Afro

Yes, I believe Scorcese is wrong about the timing; I believe it'll actually be about 45 minutes restored, which, (as Frayling detailed on STDWD), was Leone's preferred version all along, around 4:25.

But this is indeed WONDERFUL news.

cj & dj, I TOLD you it was real this time  Wink

Few things in the world excite me as much as this!!!!! I didn't know till now that Scorcese was involved in this, but knowing what a Leone fan he is -- not to mention that it is Leone's children that are leading this, from what I've read so far -- makes me optimistic that this will be done as close as possible to Leone's vision.

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 15, 2012, 05:27:36 AM »

Afro Afro Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 15, 2012, 06:23:13 AM »

i might cry

and by cry I mean cum my pants.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 06:32:33 AM by rrpower » Logged
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 15, 2012, 08:45:13 AM »

I mean cum my pants.
That sounds incredibly painful, but I try not to judge the proclivities of others.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 15, 2012, 07:04:31 PM »

what if the longer cut only hurts the movie? think of Cinema Paradiso theatrical vs. director's cut...many people including myself agree that the director's cut fills in too much unwanted information and breaks the charm/mystery of the relationship between Toto/Elena/Alfredo. But then again Tornatore made it and he's probably a fucking dumb ass. Leone's a genius...hopefully we can trust that his 'preferred version' is the greatest

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 15, 2012, 09:32:38 PM »

what if the longer cut only hurts the movie? think of Cinema Paradiso theatrical vs. director's cut...many people including myself agree that the director's cut fills in too much unwanted information and breaks the charm/mystery of the relationship between Toto/Elena/Alfredo. But then again Tornatore made it and he's probably a fucking dumb ass. Leone's a genius...hopefully we can trust that his 'preferred version' is the greatest

the fact that the (roughly) 4:25 version was Leone's preferred version (not to mention the fact that the 3:49 version of has some plot holes) makes me very excited about it.

Of course,  I don't know whether Leone prepared these scenes for release (editing, dubbing, score, etc.); or whether they are still the raw prints that others will have to prepare for release (or some combination thereof). Therefore, I don't know if these scenes will be considered "100% Leone."
 But the bottom line is that Leone wanted these scenes included, and the work is in the hands of his children (and perhaps others, like Scorcese) who seem to be doing this out of the pure desire to see the Master's vision realized. So I am very optimistic and excited about it all.

I just hope it will be released on dvd/blu ray in America soon after it premiers at Cannes. I can't wait to see it, and I'd prefer to see it on the official release rather than on some bootleg that will inevitably float around soon after Cannes...

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM