Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 04:00:58 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  NEW DIRECTORS CUT
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NEW DIRECTORS CUT  (Read 222114 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 16, 2012, 09:16:16 AM »

I just hope it will be released on dvd/blu ray in America soon after it premiers at Cannes.
How likely is that? Isn't it more probable that the new version will be released to cinemas first? Needless to say, that will delay the home video editions, which are at least a year away.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 16, 2012, 09:36:31 AM »

How likely is that? Isn't it more probable that the new version will be released to cinemas first? Needless to say, that will delay the home video editions, which are at least a year away.

well I'd love to see it in theaters of course. I would have no problem with a delay of the dvd/blu-ray while it's being shown in theaters  Afro

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 16, 2012, 05:43:52 PM »

what if the longer cut only hurts the movie? think of Cinema Paradiso theatrical vs. director's cut...many people including myself agree that the director's cut fills in too much unwanted information and breaks the charm/mystery of the relationship between Toto/Elena/Alfredo.

The director's cut of Cinema Paradiso basically adds a whole new third chapter on to the end of the film which fundamentally changes the nature of the film and its plot. This is very different from OUATIA where the extra scenes are just going to flesh out some details without drastically altering anything.

well I'd love to see it in theaters of course. I would have no problem with a delay of the dvd/blu-ray while it's being shown in theaters  Afro

Me neither - I would love to see it in the theaters.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 06:03:39 PM by Novecento » Logged
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 16, 2012, 07:28:09 PM »

If it is shown in New York, we can take a big tour of the NYC filming locations that day, concluding with an extensive visit to McSorley's, before heading to the theater to watch the movie  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 16, 2012, 07:49:37 PM »

Sergio must be smiling in heaven  Smiley

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: April 17, 2012, 02:36:10 AM »

There is a good probability the added scenes will slow down OUATIA, making it harder to watch (especially considering the film as we know it already lacks a few dynamic scenes during the adult period). But as long as they're in the same league as the rest of the movie, unlike GBU's added scene, it's more than ok with me. And, knowing the reason why they were deleted, they probably will be. At worst, we'll get one more hour of footage by the greatest director of all times at the very top of his talent. At best, the best movie ever will go from 10/10 to 12/10, making it virtually impossible to surpass.

No need to say, over-excited about all this.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 17, 2012, 05:52:39 AM »

Not my favourite Leone 8/10

I'm eager to see the long version, but frankly said the film is already too long for its substance.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 17, 2012, 08:34:03 AM »

Greatest movie of all time. It is not a minute to too long as is. There is not a moment where I forward cuz I say "this is dragging a bit." Not one single moment out of 229 minutes.

I agree with Noodles_Leone: at worst we get another hour of Leone footage; at best, the greatest movie ever gets even better. As it is, there are definitely some things that could use a bit more explaining (Frayling says how Leone cut 45-50 minutes of "significant material" to get to 229 minutes, and lists the scenes that were deleted. I've listed them at this post earlier in this thread http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=1302.msg146469#msg146469 We'll probably see those scenes, so we know what we can expect.

There are some plot points that could really benefit from using a bit more explaining (which IMO always made this movie a bit flawed -- but still my all-time fave).  

For example, The scenes explaining how Noodles meets Eve. Without it, it's pretty weird how we see Noodles head off to Florida, and then we suddenly see him with this chick and they're discussing business in front of her! So obviously, he has gotten pretty close to her. Explaining how they met helps us to understand that. (The parts with Eve are largely taken from The Hoods.  In the book, Noodles writes about how when he asks her out, all he could think of was her amazing tits; when they actually meet in the hotel, he finds out that they are falsies!

Also, there are two other points I've never quite understood, but it doesn't seem like there will be any explanation in the new version either:

a) when did Noodles receive that party invitation? He says to Deborah in her dressing room that he received this party invitation, but we don't know when he received it: Did he actually receive it along with the letter about the cemetery, but just never mentioned anything about it to Fat Moe? Or did someone deliver it to him while he was staying at Fat Moe's?

b) How the hell does Noodles figure out that Deborah is sleeping with Secretary Bailey? When she pretends not to know him, Noodles says (paraphrasing), "Why don't you just say that you're sleeping with him, and you're in love with him?!" Where in hell did Noodles get that info from? Did Carol tell him that off-camera?

c) and what exactly is The Bailey Foundation? Is it a nursing home (where Carol is living), which also has a theater, where Deborah is performing? Did Noodles visit Carol at The Bailey Foundation's nursing home, and then realized Deborah was performing there after seeing her picture? (Deborah, the supposedly big actress, is performing at the theater of The Bailey Foundation -- that is her big gig?) Does Noodles visit The Bailey Foundation in an attempt to discover who Secretary Bailey really is, or is Carol staying there and he decides to ask her to find out who Bailey is? Or is The Bailey Foundation nothing to do with Carol's nursing home, but she just happens to knows about it and explain it to him?

If the new scenes are the ones Frayling listed which i detailed at the link above, it doesn't look like any of these questions will be explained -- except possibly C). If anyone  can explain 'em, I'd be mighty grateful  Smiley

« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 09:12:00 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 18, 2012, 12:02:20 PM »

The movie covers a period of approx 47 years.  A 229 min or 270 min cut can't possibly describe all the events that took place within that period and the surrounding circumstances.

-------------

c) The Bailey Foundation is clearly a rest or nursing home.  The idea that it has a theater where Deborah performs is misguided.  Many people once they have acquired money or fame support charitable organisations.  In the movie, when they are looking at the photograph of the home's inauguration, Carol clearly tells Noodles that Deborah is the Patron Saint of the place.

yes, but the movie should explain all the events in it that don't make sense otherwise. This movie probably did have all the answers within the 6-10 hours of footage that Frayling says exists (or at least within Leone's preferred 4:25 version which will soon be released).

-------

Anyway, regarding C), yeah Carol says that Deborah is the patron saint of Bailey Foundation, ok so that's how Noodles figures out she is sleeping with Secretary Bailey? ok, that makes sense. As far as the theater, one of those deleted scenes which may soon be restored is the one with Deborah performing, which is cut from our current version of the movie, which it seems that Noodles goes to Deborah's dressing room soon after his meeting with Carol. But in fact, you are saying that after he met with Carol, he then went to some theater where she is performing, and then met her in dressing room -- so in fact, that meeting may have taken place a few days after his meeting with Carol, rather than immediately afterward as the current version makes it seem?

(and btw, as discussed in this thread http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=10498.0 I do not believe that Bailey's anonymity was a flaw; I think it was certainly possible -- up till the point where he was involved in that scandal; at that point, he was finished).

« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 12:06:18 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 18, 2012, 12:44:47 PM »

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118052787.html?cmpid=RSS%7CNews%7CLatestNews#.T48D2lT2-i8.facebook

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 18, 2012, 03:31:04 PM »

yeah, thanks for the link! Great news!

« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 03:39:36 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 18, 2012, 06:40:38 PM »

May 18th! That's really soon!  Shocked  Afro

I think Sergio Leone would be really proud - especially considering all the battles he fought to get this one released in any form in the first place.

Walton
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 18, 2012, 08:10:09 PM »

Here's another article - this also holds out the hope for a nice new remastered blu-ray:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/restored-cut-of-sergio-leones-once-upon-a-time-in-america-with-40-more-minutes-to-premiere-at-cannes-film-festival-20120418?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 19, 2012, 05:05:59 AM »

50 min?

269 min is the theatrical version.

Back in the mid 80s Leone talked about the necessity to cut the film and that he wanted to release OUTA later in a longer TV version in several parts (probably with that TV version of The Godfather in the back of his mind). But I never read anything why this announced TV version never happened.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 05:22:44 PM by cigar joe » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 19, 2012, 10:03:18 AM »

Frayling says Leone cut 45-50 minutes out of his ideal running time (for the 229 minute version). I presume those 45-50 minutes are what will be restored....

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM