Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 11:05:16 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  NEW DIRECTORS CUT
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NEW DIRECTORS CUT  (Read 227129 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: May 16, 2012, 01:04:49 PM »

If I understand that article correctly, it says they've restored 26 minutes to the film. Subtracting 26 from 4 hrs. 19 minutes doesn't quite get me to 229, but it's pretty close.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 01:12:28 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 16, 2012, 02:23:01 PM »

Then we have now 4 "officially" announced runtimes: 270 ; 259 ; 253 ; 245

Terrific

« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 02:24:12 PM by stanton » Logged

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: May 17, 2012, 07:51:59 AM »

May be the difference between the 245min and the 270min versions is only the intermission.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 17, 2012, 08:58:47 AM »

so in other words, we don't know shit, and the last 5 pages of this thread have been a complete waste of time........

well, the movie screens at Cannes tomorrow night. I am sure we will hear more reports over the weekend, though I am not confident that they will all necessarily be correct, or the same. The reporters will probably list whatever "official" time is listed on the program or whatever, rather than timing it themselves. So we may not know anything for sure until the dvd is released Wink

« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 03:03:00 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
MatViola
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #304 on: May 17, 2012, 09:51:08 AM »

There's a cut scene in which Noodles catches a glimpse of Deborah sitting at a table in the train station and then follows her along the track (before she leaves for Hollywood). I remember reading that Leone was very fond of this sequence. I thought it was mentioned in Frayling's book, but I can't find it. Anyone have the reference?

Mat

DJASh
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 17, 2012, 02:58:50 PM »

Hello People

Does anyone know if the new cut will be given a widespread run in cinemas, at least arthouses and their like?

I'd love to immerse myself in  darkened theatre for 4 hours ( or thereabouts!) and gaze on a full size projection of the masterwork for a second time .

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 17, 2012, 05:13:44 PM »

Hello People

Does anyone know if the new cut will be given a widespread run in cinemas, at least arthouses and their like?

I'd love to immerse myself in  darkened theatre for 4 hours ( or thereabouts!) and gaze on a full size projection of the masterwork for a second time .

we are hopeful

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 17, 2012, 06:57:18 PM »

Hello People

In the meantime, if you are in the New York area, you can immerse yourself in a darkened theater for a month and watch Leone's and other spaghetti westerns, which are playing at the Film Forum in Manhattan throughout June 2012 http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=11250.0
But from the way you spelled "theatre," I take it you are not American?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
MatViola
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #308 on: May 19, 2012, 06:45:40 AM »

http://trovacinema.repubblica.it/multimedia/copertina/cannes-cera-una-volta-con-26-minuti-in-piu-scena-tagliata/31846181

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6Ss-jUGbl4&feature=player_embedded#

Shambaby
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 19, 2012, 07:31:40 AM »

Leone: "I prefer is this one, that bit of reclusiveness is just what I like about it.  I saw the scene with Louise Fletcher.  It only answered very obvious things.  Sergio created his masterpiece by being to forced to whittle it down to the utmost important scenes.  And it give it that "reclusiveness" or sense of mystery that keeps us intrigued and using our brain throughout the movie.  Also, I dislike the razor-sharp focus of the new scenes.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: May 19, 2012, 08:14:52 AM »

Leone: "I prefer is this one, that bit of reclusiveness is just what I like about it.  I saw the scene with Louise Fletcher.  It only answered very obvious things.  Sergio created his masterpiece by being to forced to whittle it down to the utmost important scenes.  And it give it that "reclusiveness" or sense of mystery that keeps us intrigued and using our brain throughout the movie.  Also, I dislike the razor-sharp focus of the new scenes.

From this comment it sounds like a re-run of the GBU "restoration," adding scenes that aren't strictly essential to the film because they exist. I'm still inclined to pass.

Saturday nights with Groggy
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 19, 2012, 09:07:17 AM »

Yeah, that Fletcher scene doesn't do much for me. But I wonder if the scene of Noodles following Deborah in the train station is in there. The whole sequence (from the date to intermission) is probably my favorite set of scenes in any movie ever. Absolutely perfect.

EDIT: http://blogs.indiewire.com/pressplay/cannes-2012-once-upon-a-time-in-america-restored#

Great description of the added scenes. I'm interested in seeing Deborah's Cleopatra performance, and especially the additional scene after the car flies off the dock. Sounds great.

Doesn't sound like the train scene is there. No big deal. Thinking about it, I don't think changing a thing about that sequence could make it any better...probably just worse.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 09:21:54 AM by rrpower » Logged
MatViola
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #312 on: May 19, 2012, 10:47:03 AM »

But I wonder if the scene of Noodles following Deborah in the train station is in there.

Yes, it is. I've got the breakdown of the scenes here:

http://notesofafilmfanatic.com/

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 19, 2012, 11:04:13 AM »

Thank you, amazing article. However I'm worried about the break to meet Eve between the rape and the train scene. The transition from the limo leaving to the brief train station scene to the intermission is, like I said, absolutely perfect. The extra scenes might ruin that flow for me.

MatViola
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #314 on: May 19, 2012, 11:20:32 AM »

Thanks! I know what you mean. I've been watching the 229-minute version for over twenty years, so I suspect this version is going to take some getting used to. Did you see this in the comments section - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIuLFIm2mQQ

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM