Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 03:58:17 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  NEW DIRECTORS CUT
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NEW DIRECTORS CUT  (Read 221324 times)
chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: October 13, 2012, 11:13:28 AM »

DVDStore.it quote Region B and PAL encoding.  This may of course be incorrect but some caution may be prudent until definite details are released.

http://www.dvd-store.it/DVD/Blu-Ray/ID-42655/C-era-una-volta-in-America-Extended-Cut.aspx

Some delays may not be a bad thing. There is a lot of discussion on the Italian forums about fitting a movie of over 4 hours and extras onto a single BD.  Looks a bit rushed with minimal extras but on the positive side a very low price of just over 13 euros. I think Leone's children have done some interviews which may be shown with the movie in theaters and obviously with more time the extras could be greatly improved.  According to Martin Scorcese a further 20 to 25 minutes may be restored and this would bring the version nearer to the one that Leone originally made.  

The 30th  Anniversary occurs in 2014 so who knows?  Hopefully a version on 2 BDs with a commentary from Frayling, interviews with the Leone family, members of the cast and crew, Martin Scorcese and others, special features on making the movie and the restoration, the many locations around the world used for filming, the book on which the movie was based and biographical details and the true story of Harry "Noodles" Grey.

I will be the first in the queue for that version.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 11:16:43 AM by chris » Logged
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: October 13, 2012, 05:00:45 PM »

This is on the board at MoMA for today:
Restored through funding by Gucci and The Film Foundation, and in partnership with Cineteca di Bologna at L’Immagine Ritrovata Laboratory, Andrea Leone Films, The Film Foundation, and Regency Enterprises. 229 min.

Saturday, October 13, 2012, 7:15 p.m., Theater 1, T1 (Introduced by Robert De Niro)

I'd looked earlier at the calendar and seen the title listed, but since they were reporting a running time of 229 I assumed they were screening the standard version. Now it appears it's the new extended cut, but the info comes too late to be of any use for me.

Sorry, Drink.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: October 13, 2012, 06:23:46 PM »

This is on the board at MoMA for today:
I'd looked earlier at the calendar and seen the title listed, but since they were reporting a running time of 229 I assumed they were screening the standard version. Now it appears it's the new extended cut, but the info comes too late to be of any use for me.

Sorry, Drink.

If I'd seen your post a couple of hours ago I probably would have gone  Cry

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: October 13, 2012, 06:46:34 PM »

If I'd seen my post a couple of hours ago, I would have too. Those bastards at MoMA have really cheesed me off.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: October 13, 2012, 08:11:42 PM »

It does say 229 minutes. Why do you think they are showing the longer version? I mean, I know it says that it was restored and all, but does it really make sense that the USA premiere of a version of a movie that millions of people are anticipating is at MoMA??? That's strange.

It really is a bummer that MoMA only plays a movie for one or two days. A week or so would be better, so that everyone who wants to can go when their schedule allows  Angry

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: October 13, 2012, 08:29:31 PM »

It does say 229 minutes. Why do you think they are showing the longer version? I mean, I know it says that it was restored and all, but does it really make sense that the USA premiere of a version of a movie that millions of people are anticipating is at MoMA??? That's strange.
Millions of people? Drink, now I KNOW you are on drugs.

I'm guessing the 229 is what some idiot at MoMA put down after looking up the film on some kind of list. The fact that the show is playing as part of MoMA's program of a film restorations, and that the source of the film is credited to Andrea Leone, AND that DeNiro was supposed to personally introduce it leads me to believe that what they were showing was NOT the 229 minute version.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 08:32:55 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: October 13, 2012, 08:33:50 PM »

I'm guessing the 229 is what some idiot at MoMA put down after looking up the film on some kind of list. The fact that the show is playing as part of MoMA's program of a film restorations, and that the source of the film is credited to Andreas Leone, AND that DeNiro was supposed to personally introduce it leads me to believe that what they were showing was NOT the 229 minute version.

either way, it doesn't strike you as strange that the USA premiere of this new version would be at MoMA?

(And yes, I think the restoration is highly anticipated, though I never took a survey)

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: October 13, 2012, 08:35:02 PM »

The new Blu-ray will sell 3,000 units, tops (in the U.S.).

« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 08:36:19 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

rexlic
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: October 14, 2012, 01:19:04 AM »

I'm guessing the 229 is what some idiot at MoMA put down after looking up the film on some kind of list. The fact that the show is playing as part of MoMA's program of a film restorations, and that the source of the film is credited to Andrea Leone, AND that DeNiro was supposed to personally introduce it leads me to believe that what they were showing was NOT the 229 minute version.

It was the "European theatrical cut," or the film as it appeared on the two-DVD set.  DeNiro spoke briefly--of course--and did say that he worked a year on the picture, and that Sergio seemed to never want to stop making the movie, the implication being so great was his enthusiasm for it.  I will say this: I saw OUATIA at MOMA about five years ago, and this didn't seem to be in better shape than I remember that print being, although it's quite possible the quality of the DVD has obscured my sense of its quality on the big screen.  Maybe it was just the projector's illumination, but it seemed fairly dark at times.  MOMA's presentation of Scorsese's restoration of OUATITW a few years back was a noticeable upgrade over my previous theatre-going experiences of that film.  Almost forgot: Burt Young was in attendance, and stood up to good applause prior to DeNiro's appearance.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 01:25:54 AM by rexlic » Logged
rexlic
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: October 14, 2012, 01:23:32 AM »

Also, I don't know if anyone put these up: three restored scenes which I presume will make up half of the reported extra 25 minutes.

www.youtube.com/results?search_query=leone+restored+scene&oq=leone+restored+scene&gs_l=youtube.3...658.9575.0.9981.22.21.1.0.0.0.739.2615.16j2j2j6-1.21.0...0.0...1ac.1.ErZ8gnWypTw

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: October 14, 2012, 07:06:15 AM »

It was the "European theatrical cut," or the film as it appeared on the two-DVD set. 

Phew - good to know.

The new Blu-ray will sell 3,000 units, tops (in the U.S.).

Sounds like a Twilight Time release (they always limit theirs to 3000)

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: October 15, 2012, 06:19:29 AM »

That's why I suggested the number. 3,000 seems like the safe estimate for "classic films" (those more than 20 years old). Twilight Time (and I'm guessing others) don't take chances (they have to pay for the license up front). If OUATIA had never been released on Blu-ray before I'd guess higher, but I don't think there are that many people who are going to buy the blu-ray twice.

Let's say they actually sell twice as many units as I guess, or triple. That's still under 10,000. As far as potential viewers are concerned (home video plus special screenings plus festivals but not TV), maybe at most they could reach 40-50,000. Even granting 100,000, we are still nowhere near the "millions" mentioned.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 06:27:29 AM by dave jenkins » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: October 15, 2012, 06:29:46 AM »

It was the "European theatrical cut," or the film as it appeared on the two-DVD set.  DeNiro spoke briefly--of course--and did say that he worked a year on the picture, and that Sergio seemed to never want to stop making the movie, the implication being so great was his enthusiasm for it.  I will say this: I saw OUATIA at MOMA about five years ago, and this didn't seem to be in better shape than I remember that print being, although it's quite possible the quality of the DVD has obscured my sense of its quality on the big screen.  Maybe it was just the projector's illumination, but it seemed fairly dark at times.  MOMA's presentation of Scorsese's restoration of OUATITW a few years back was a noticeable upgrade over my previous theatre-going experiences of that film.  Almost forgot: Burt Young was in attendance, and stood up to good applause prior to DeNiro's appearance.
OK. Glad I didn't go then. I still wish those MoMA guys would write less confusing copy, though.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: October 15, 2012, 03:45:52 PM »

That's why I suggested the number. 3,000 seems like the safe estimate for "classic films" (those more than 20 years old). Twilight Time (and I'm guessing others) don't take chances (they have to pay for the license up front). If OUATIA had never been released on Blu-ray before I'd guess higher, but I don't think there are that many people who are going to buy the blu-ray twice.

Let's say they actually sell twice as many units as I guess, or triple. That's still under 10,000. As far as potential viewers are concerned (home video plus special screenings plus festivals but not TV), maybe at most they could reach 40-50,000. Even granting 100,000, we are still nowhere near the "millions" mentioned.

I was addressing the interest in seeing the restored version, not the number of people that will purchase the disc.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: October 15, 2012, 04:41:11 PM »

One is the index of the other.

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM