Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 10:52:06 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  NEW DIRECTORS CUT
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NEW DIRECTORS CUT  (Read 227998 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: October 20, 2012, 06:21:41 AM »

Afro Afro Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: October 20, 2012, 08:13:46 AM »

... on a special channel "Sergio Leone HD"...

Wow an HD channel dedicated to nothing but Sergio Leone - sounds awesome.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #497 on: October 20, 2012, 10:29:50 AM »

All directors should be so lucky!

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: October 20, 2012, 06:36:31 PM »

Sky.it has given a date of Dec 7, 2012 for the new Blu-ray and DVD to be followed later by a box set of both new and old versions.

----

Several sites are reporting that the new version will premiere on Cubovision - TV Telecom Italy (also available on PCs, tablets and smartphones) on Oct 25 and on a special channel "Sergio Leone HD" on Oct 30, 2012.

RE: the dvd/blu ray, any word on whether it will only be Region 2, or if it'll be region-free?

RE: the movie being "available on PC's, tablets, and smartphones," any further info about that? I guess that would mean that we in America can get it too?

Also, has an official running time been listed for the version in theaters and/or the dvd/blu ray? Cuz Scorses mentioned something about possibly even more footage being restored (in addition to what was restored and shown at Cannes) and I am wondering if that is really going to happen?

Thanks for the info  Afro

« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 06:38:22 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: October 21, 2012, 03:18:00 AM »

The running time of the new version in theaters is quoted as 260 minutes.

Ignoring PAL & NTSC, the unextended version runs for 229 minutes. Between 25 and 26 minutes have been added bringing the total to about 255 minutes.

Leone's children have recorded intro and outro interviews which will be shown before and after the movie. It's possible that these are the other 5 minutes.

New Blu-rays and DVDs are being issued in December and some retailers are simply copying the information between the 2 formats.  As other board members have pointed out, the Blu-ray may not be in PAL format.  It is logical however that the DVD will use PAL and be region locked.

The running time of the new version will probably be approximately 244 minutes (PAL 219+25) or 255 minutes (229+26).

To legally use PCs, tablets and smartphones to access Cubovison will no doubt require a subscription but there may be ways round this.

Anyone yet figured out the significance of the tractor and bucket behind the garbage truck?

« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 03:22:49 AM by chris » Logged
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: October 21, 2012, 04:20:04 AM »

Anyone yet figured out the significance of the tractor and bucket behind the garbage truck?

I believe here's the deal:

in a trestored scene, while Noodles is visiting the graves of his friends in the mausoleum, he speaks with the cemetery's director, played by Louise Fletcher, who explains to him that a "Mr. Aaronson" is the one that paid for this mausoleum, and sent a tape with the song (Cockeye's Tune) to play there. Then Noodles sees a limousine following him at the cemetery, and he writes down the limo's license plate.

Soon thereafter, in another deleted scene, Noodles is outside Bailey's estate, where he sees the same limo blow up -- the same car that's on the news report he watches on the tv at Fat Moe's (I guess the reason he was at the estate in the first place is either because by this time he's figured out that Secretary Bailey has something to do with this mystery of why he was brought back). And Noodles sees the garbage truck outside the mansion too -- the same garbage truck that he sees outside the mansion at the end of the movie, in which Bailey seemingly kills himself.

--

As we've discussed here, with these added scenes, the matter of Noodles' return takes on much more of a literal meaning, as a real mystery; in the 229MV, there was much less of this literal mystery.

---

Leone said that the garbage truck is a reference to Jimmy Hoffa, who disappeared mysteriously (and whose death has still never been solved), Frayling quoted Leone saying that a garbage truck was seen outside his house for 3 days before his disappearance. However, it is obvious that the James Conway O'Donnell (played by Treat Williams) is also inspired by Hoffa: after all, Bailey is a corrupt politician with union ties who is connected with a scandal over the misuse of union pension funds; but ODonnell is the actual corrupt head of the national union of truckers! So while I have seen Leone quotes discussing the Hoffa inspiration with Bailey but I've never seen any quotes where Leone explicitly mentions the Hoffa inspiration with O'Donnell, there is no doubt whatsoever that both their characters are actually partially inspired by Hoffa

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: October 21, 2012, 07:04:02 AM »

Just my way of seeing things but the significance of the tractor and the bucket is to do with match cuts.

First a bit of conjecture.  Sergio Leone's method of filming upset several prominent people in America and he left the country voluntarily before he was forced to leave.   He may not have completed all the scenes he had planned to shoot there.

The gang go swimming in a car, some of the gang come to the surface but there is no sign of Noodles.  Originally this was to be followed by Noodles coming to the surface in a Turkish Baths in 1968, then to Turkish baths scenes in 1933, to Max driving through the streets of New York in 1933, arriving at the Baths and saving the life of Noodles who is about to be killed by gunmen.  Max is wounded and Noodles carries him to a car outside, passing by a garbage truck.  To be followed by the garbage truck and exploding car scene in 1968.

None of the Turkish Baths scenes were filmed and, in the unextended version of the movie, we cut from a car disappearing into water to a burnt out car being sprayed with foam.

I thought I'd seen a video clip of a crane or something nearby when the gang re-surface and I wondered if Leone had used this and the tractor for a match cut.

SPOILER:  Some may prefer not to know what is in the extended version or to see all the additional scenes in full. If so, please do not read further or click on the following link.  Four days ago La Stampa.it uploaded an item about the additional scenes and a video of over 20 minutes showing the additional scenes in full.  After the gang go swimming in a car and come to the surface, there is a nearby dredger with a large bucket containing waste and we cut to Noodles and a tractor with a bucket containing waste behind a garbage truck in 1968. Full scenes of the exploding car, the matching number plates and Noodles meeting Eve etc.

La Scampa.it video:   http://tinyurl.com/9xywmlx

« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 07:54:35 AM by chris » Logged
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: October 21, 2012, 09:17:17 AM »

SPOILER:  Some may prefer not to know what is in the extended version or to see all the additional scenes in full. If so, please do not read further or click on the following link.  Four days ago La Stampa.it uploaded an item about the additional scenes and a video of over 20 minutes showing the additional scenes in full.  After the gang go swimming in a car and come to the surface, there is a nearby dredger with a large bucket containing waste and we cut to Noodles and a tractor with a bucket containing waste behind a garbage truck in 1968. Full scenes of the exploding car, the matching number plates and Noodles meeting Eve etc.

http://tinyurl.com/9xywmlx

I don't think you have to worry about spoiler alerts, if you read the pages on this thread since Cannes, we've discussed pretty extensively all the added scenes, I think everyone here knows what they are already  Wink

Of course, it would have been great if we could have seen the new version without knowing what was in it, but of course, knowing that i wasn't going to be able to view it for a while after it was shown at Cannes, there was no way I was going to have the self-control to avoid finding out what the added scenes were.

Long before the announcement of the restoration, there has been a script floating around of the movie which includes the added scenes, as well as a separate document with just those added scenes. Both docs are available here http://msb247.awardspace.com/ (click "Links & Downloads)

« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 09:19:00 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: October 22, 2012, 06:08:15 AM »

James Woods looks quite scared in the video at La Stampa.it.  The dredger is very close to the gang and he seems fearful that the bucket of mud and dirt will be deposited on him. Possibly he thinks that the dredger has picked up the body of Noodles in its bucket. 

The dialog in the additional scenes sounds better than that in the original script.  In the book and the original shooting script, Eve is given a $1,000 note but in the movie this is changed to $500.

It seems that the new extended version still has some gaps.

In 1968, Noodles receives a letter advising him that his friends have been reinterred at Riverdale.  He visits the mausoleum, gets a key to a railway station locker and collects from the locker a suitcase containing dollars and a note "advance payment for your next job".

So far so good.

Chronologically we then move to Noodles and a garbage truck outside the mansion of somebody important in Long Island. We are never told how Noodles came to be there.  The gates of the mansion open and a car which was tailing Noodles at the mausoleum drives out and explodes.

We then cut to the scene of the exploding car on TV, the mention of Secretary Bailey and an interview with Jimmy O'Donnell, whom Noodles knows from the 1930s.

In the not yet restored footage we would have eventually seen Noodles visiting Carol at the Bailey Foundation Rest Home and Noodles explaining that somebody from the home had called him and said that Carol wanted to see him.  Carol denied this.  Back to the movie Noodles sees a photo of the innaugural festivies of the home in 1953 and in the center, Deborah, who he learns is the home's patron saint.

We then move to Deborah playing Cleopatra on stage, Noodles visiting in her dressing room, the party at the Long Island Mansion and the mysterious garbage truck and procession of classic cars scene.

Even in the original version with an additional 50 minutes or in the shooting script, Noodles' arrival outside Bailey's mansion for the first time is not explained.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 03:05:46 AM by chris » Logged
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: October 22, 2012, 09:26:28 AM »

Even in the original version with an additional 50 minutes or in the shooting script, Noodles' arrival outside Bailey's mansion for the first time is not explained.

well at some point, he has received an invitatio to Bailey's party -- we never find out if that's in the original letter he received that caused him to come to New York (but he never mentions it to Fat Moe), or if some messenger delivers it to him while he's staying at Fat Moe's.

Either way, once we find out later he's received an invitation to a party there, it makes sense that he's be outside a few days before -- if you got an invite to a mysterious party on some fancy mansion, maybe you'd first wanna find out wt is going on. He knows that Bailey has something to do with his return, a fact made much clearer in this restored version. In the 229MV, we really never see any justification for why Noodles should be so intently watching this news story about the Bailey scandal. I guess you could say it's because he used to be involved in the early labor movement, so it still makes sense that Fat Moe would ask him "you know those guys?" But this point is brought out more clearly in the 229MV, that Noodles has a reason to be watching that news program, and to know that this Bailey scandal has something to do with the key to his return

chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: October 23, 2012, 02:59:53 AM »

...he's received an invitation to a party there, it makes sense that he's be outside a few days before...

I'm not convinced.

The shooting script reads:

SCENE 100 LONG ISLAND MANSION (1968) Exterior. Day.

i.e. no mention of Bailey

In the later scenes Bailey's name is mentioned.  E.g.:

SCENE 153 THE GARDEN OF SENATOR BAILEY'S HOUSE (1968) Exterior. Evening

SCENES 154 & 156 & 158 SENATOR BAILEY'S STUDY (1968) Interior. Evening.

The movie flits between 3 different time periods but, apart from the smile at the end, all the scenes within a time period are presented in the movie in chronological order.  The first time we learn of the invitation to the party is during the conversation between Noodles and Deborah backstage after her performance as Cleopatra.

Chronologically the scene of Noodles standing outside the gates of the Long Island mansion for the first time occurs shortly after he visits the mausoleum and collects the suitcase of dollars.  As Noodles mentions in his conversation with Carol, a lot of funny things have been happening to him recently and he is obviously keen to find out who sent the letter which prompted him to return to New York, who has financed the reinterment of his former friends to a fancy mausoleum, who is tailing him and who has left a suitcase of money for him.

He obviously writes down the car license plate number for a reason.  The next logical step for Noodles after collecting the suitcase of money would be to stash it somewhere safe and return to Fat Moes to investgate further and try to come up with answers for the things which have been happening to him recently.  Possibly he finds out the registered address of the owner of the vehicle from the car license plate number.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 05:39:00 AM by chris » Logged
Derbent 5000
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: November 19, 2012, 10:57:40 PM »

Check out the Italian website Once Upon A Time In America Extended Version some intresting stuff in there, including

Video
Fotos
Biography
Articles
Cast
Crew
Research
Restoration

http://ceraunavoltainamerica.it/

« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 11:55:40 PM by Derbent 5000 » Logged
Derbent 5000
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: November 19, 2012, 11:42:00 PM »

And this animated menu of the future italian Bluray includes some added scenes of cleopatra

http://vimeo.com/49382733

Bluray and DVD Dec 4 in Italy

http://www.animangaplus.it/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1375&catid=34&Itemid=54

http://www.dvd-store.it/DVD/Blu-Ray/ID-42655/C-era-una-volta-in-America-Edizione-Integrale.aspx

http://www.dvdland.it/nicom1/p_576566/blu_ray/c_era_una_volta_in_america_extended_cut_blu_ray.html

« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 12:08:49 AM by Derbent 5000 » Logged
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: November 20, 2012, 09:12:11 AM »

La Scampa.it video:   http://tinyurl.com/9xywmlx

What's up with the awful use of music in some of those scenes? Drowns out Max's cries for Noodles after driving off the dock, and it completely ruins the mood when Noodles meets Eve and asks to call her Deborah. It makes it feel like a playful scene when really it's hopeless and sorrowful.

Also, I'm still completely not cool with meeting Eve interjecting between the rape and the train station scene. Judging from the clips, I think it's going to really ruin the flow of my favorite sequence. I'm excited for this new restoration to come out, but for the most part I think I'll be remaining partial to the 226 min. cut I'm used to.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 09:17:51 AM by rrpower » Logged
chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: November 21, 2012, 05:52:01 AM »

What's up with the awful use of music in some of those scenes? Drowns out Max's cries for Noodles after driving off the dock, and it completely ruins the mood when Noodles meets Eve and asks to call her Deborah. It makes it feel like a playful scene when really it's hopeless and sorrowful.

Also, I'm still completely not cool with meeting Eve interjecting between the rape and the train station scene. Judging from the clips, I think it's going to really ruin the flow of my favorite sequence. I'm excited for this new restoration to come out, but for the most part I think I'll be remaining partial to the 226 min. cut I'm used to.

It does seem a bit odd not to hear Max's voice and the accompanying sounds of the water and the dredger but there isn't any dialogue for this scene in the script.

The meeting with Eve and the departure of Deborah have gone through quite a few changes.  In the book Noodles discovers that Deborah is planning to leave for Hollywood for a small dancing part in a musical a couple of days before their date at the restaurant.

He meets her at the theater after her matinee performance at about 5:30 pm and they head back from the restaurant fairly soon afterwards as she has an evening performance at 8.00 pm at the theater.  On the way back she reveals that she has loved a peaceful conservative businessman for a good many years and she hopes to marry him and stay in Hollywood.  After attacking her in the car, Noodles goes back to his hotel room, gets drunk and the following day watches Deborah holding hands with a man and getting on a train for Hollywood.

Noodles gets drunk again, ends up at a speakeasy on 52nd street, tells a hostess that he tried to rape a girl and goes outside.  There he meets a streetwalker whom he calls Deborah and has sex with in a nearby hotel.  He doesn't meet Eve until much later when she is auditioning for a dancing part in a show at the Eden.

In the movie I think it's intended that Noodles meets Deborah at the theater after her evening performance, they go to the restaurant, spend time on the beach, drive back, he rapes her and he gets out of the car in the early morning.

It's night when he meets Eve at speakeasy on 52nd street so presumably after his date with Deborah he wanders about all day getting drunk.  They go back to his hotel room, which is the same room as Eve is murdered in at the beginning of the movie, and he wakes up at 6:00 pm the following day.  He glances at his watch and we cut to a clock showing 7:55 above Deborah's table at the railway station restaurant.

Perhaps it's a bit like Cinema Paradiso and a liking for the first version seen.  I've got mixed feelings.  Will the quality of the new scenes be 8/10 and the restored old scenes 10/10 as reported by a recent viewer, will the match cuts, links and general flow of the movie be better or worse and will these additional scenes benefit or detract from it?  I'm looking forward to seeing the new version but I can't help feeling that I won't be completely satisfied until I see the further footage mentioned by Martin Scorcese added, bringing the movie nearer to Sergio Leone's 270 minute version.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 05:57:59 AM by chris » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM