Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 04:33:00 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  NEW DIRECTORS CUT
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NEW DIRECTORS CUT  (Read 221199 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: December 24, 2012, 03:38:49 PM »

Thanks for sharing this dj.

One poster on that forum says he thinks they made the color suck so bad so that the new scenes, which we know look awful, shouldn't look that bad in comparison  Grin Grin Grin

I am very happy that it hasn't been released in America yet. Maybe, just maybe, the issues will be fixed before it's released here.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: December 24, 2012, 05:10:37 PM »

One poster on that forum says he thinks they made the color suck so bad so that the new scenes, which we know look awful, shouldn't look that bad in comparison  Grin Grin Grin
Yeah, I saw that. I have a sneaking suspicion he's right.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: December 25, 2012, 02:57:01 AM »

And his opinion about the new footage also doesn't make me to wish the new footage in a hurry:

"Now that I've finished, I don't think there's one of the twenty minutes' worth of stuff that makes a bit of difference, really. It does make it longer, and you do get a little explanation of something here and there, but Leone's long cut worked wonderfully."

Of course other people will see this different, but on my last re-watch OUTA felt already overlong.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: December 25, 2012, 03:01:03 AM »

And his opinion about the new footage also doesn't make me to wish the new footage in a hurry:

"Now that I've finished, I don't think there's one of the twenty minutes' worth of stuff that makes a bit of difference, really. It does make it longer, and you do get a little explanation of something here and there, but Leone's long cut worked wonderfully."

Of course other people will see this different, but on my last re-watch OUTA felt already overlong.

well that's just his opinion on the artistic value of the scenes (rather than the image quality), so I don't worry about that; that's just up to each individual viewer.

Personally -- though I haven't seen the new scenes placed into the movie, I've just seen them compiled together in one big 20 minute video -- I  think some of the scenes are useful and some aren't. But I'll have to reserve final judgment on that until I see the full movie (which, it now seems, may not be for a quite a while).

« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 03:03:15 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
rexlic
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: December 25, 2012, 01:52:50 PM »

A happy birthday to Shane MacGowan--nobody had 55 in the office pool, that's for sure--and a great time to spin that modern day Christmas carol, the Pogues' "Fairytale of New York."  About the song's origins, MacGowan recently told the Sun newspaper that “Our idea of New York was based on movies like Once Upon A Time In America, which we were obsessed with.  We borrowed a lot from the soundtrack of that film."  In fact, the Pogues had apparently never been to New York at that point.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9jbdgZidu8

chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: December 26, 2012, 06:56:16 AM »

One poster on that forum says he thinks they made the color suck so bad so that the new scenes, which we know look awful, shouldn't look that bad in comparison  Grin Grin Grin

It's a humorous but ridiculous suggestion. The "not new" scenes on the Blu-ray are slightly yellowish, in some of the dark scenes the brightness has been turned up but there's no meaningful detail in the shadows, there's sometimes a lack of contrast and poor blacks and, on some TVs, the movie has a grainy/speckly look.  The new scenes vary in picture quality from very poor (the mausoleum scene) to quite good (Cleopatra scene) and none have imperfections which are similar to the original scenes.  They stand out just as clearly as they would have done on a better transfer.

I watched some of the new Blu-ray again yesterday on a fairly new 46" Samsung LED TV.  If you pause the movie, artifacts and extraneous items are still clearly visible but it didn't look quite as grainy as on my 40" Sony LCD TV.  DartDVD (on various forums) was one of the first people to complain about the picture quality and compression problems after watching it on a 50" Panasonic Plasma TV.  Some of the people I was with, who are not familiar with the movie, thought the picture quality was quite good and, whilst the new scenes stand out owing to their poor picture quality, the movie was certainly watchable.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 12:16:17 PM by chris » Logged
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: December 27, 2012, 11:50:19 AM »

About the song's origins, MacGowan recently told the Sun newspaper that “Our idea of New York was based on movies like Once Upon A Time In America, which we were obsessed with.  We borrowed a lot from the soundtrack of that film."

Interesting - I didn't know that!

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: January 05, 2013, 05:07:39 PM »

Of course most of these aren't really issues any more (and frankly who really cares if their TV is heavy?), yet LCD/LED technology has swallowed up the market leaving only LG, Samsung and Panasonic to serve an increasingly niche plasma market.

Seems like soon we will be down to just two as Panasonic is pulling out:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=211857

Apparently they are going to put their efforts into developing OLED (Organic LED) which is markedly different from what we currently call LED.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: January 06, 2013, 10:21:51 AM »

Seems like soon we will be down to just two as Panasonic is pulling out:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=211857

Apparently they are going to put their efforts into developing OLED (Organic LED) which is markedly different from what we currently call LED.
Interesting. Maybe my next screen (many years from now, hopefully) will be an OLED.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #579 on: January 08, 2013, 12:39:44 AM »

This is becoming more and more off topic but... Sony just unveiled World's first 4K OLED TV.

http://mashable.com/2013/01/08/sony-4k-oled-tv/

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: January 08, 2013, 12:59:31 AM »

This is becoming more and more off topic but... Sony just unveiled World's first 4K OLED TV.

http://mashable.com/2013/01/08/sony-4k-oled-tv/

if you are worried about staying on topic, you can continue the conversation in the thread dedicated to technical discussion, of tv's, blu ray players, etc. http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=11173.0

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #581 on: January 08, 2013, 02:54:37 AM »

if you are worried about staying on topic

Actually I'm not Smiley

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: January 08, 2013, 03:02:18 AM »

It's sort of on topic since some TVs seem to show the defects in the new Blu-ray more than others. In any event until further restoration work is done, or we get a new release or the legal issues are sorted out, I don't expect this thread to be very active.

Most of the American and Italian forums have stopped posting anything significant for the time being but there was some interesting stuff at:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/326227/a-little-look-at-once-upon-a-time-in-america-the-restoration-on-blu-ray

To complete my collection I've ordered the new version on DVD.  The new scenes are not really Blu-ray quality, the other scenes have compression, color and contrast defects and this release of the movie may be more suited to the DVD format.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: January 08, 2013, 05:21:29 AM »

even if the new blu ray image looks less bad on some players than on others, is it absolutely certain that -- on all players -- the image is far worse than the image on the 229MV?

« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 07:26:58 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: January 08, 2013, 07:10:54 AM »

It's more to do with TVs rather than players. I've tried several different Blu-ray players and the results are more or less identical.

I think there are only minor differences when viewing the new BD on different types of TVs.

There are defects in both BDs (the 229 min BD looks a bit blurred in places, has a blue tint and cropped images) but for me the picture quality of the 229min BD is much better than the new BD and probably much closer to Leone's movie.

People who have seen the restored version in theaters in Italy seem to have mixed views. People who saw the restored version (minus the new scenes) at MoMA or the Film Forum don't seem to have been greatly impressed and I'm not sure if any of those noticed poor blacks, lack of contrast, or a yellowish/greenish tint.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 02:45:25 AM by chris » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM