Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 08:58:21 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  NEW DIRECTORS CUT
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NEW DIRECTORS CUT  (Read 227986 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: March 24, 2013, 04:01:45 AM »

...or for us in Australia  Smiley

well aren't you guys region B/2? Then you can play the new restored dvd/blu ray on your blu ray players. (Not sure about language though)

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

View Profile
« Reply #601 on: March 24, 2013, 04:08:39 AM »

well aren't you guys region B/2? Then you can play the new restored dvd/blu ray on your blu ray players. (Not sure about language though)

Yeah, we are. I just playing around. I actually have a multi-region blu ray player built into my PC, so regions aren't a problem for me anymore. This way, I can buy cheap blu rays [the prices here in Australia are kind of ridiculous and the quality of the product is nothing compared to the ones I've ordered from overseas - I'm a sucker for packaging, and the packages overseas are of much higher quality and much more aesthetic] from anywhere and not have to worry about region coding.

Atm, my eye has been on this tin set of OUATIA - http://www.amazon.fr/était-une-fois-Amérique-Blu-ray/dp/B004Z02FFY/
But I'll probably just buy it from here, atm, it's $12.98 on blu-ray so it's not bad.

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: May 04, 2013, 02:10:46 AM »

The new version aired on Sky Cinema 1 HD in Italy yesterday (May 3 2013).  Some viewers say it looked better than the new BD. There's still no news on a further release.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: May 04, 2013, 08:52:27 AM »

The new version aired on Sky Cinema 1 HD in Italy yesterday (May 3 2013).  Some viewers say it looked better than the new BD.

Sounds promising...

chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: July 30, 2013, 02:47:54 AM »

There have been some recent discussions on the Italian forums about a forthcoming release in Germany.  It has been announced that in Dec 2013 a Premium Collection version with a Collector's book will be issued.

http://www.bluray-disc.de/blu-ray-filme/es-war-einmal-in-amerika-premium-collection-blu-ray-disc

This just looks like a repackaging of WB's 229 minute Blu-ray with a Collector's book and some are speculating that it may be a way of getting rid of stocks prior to new releases of both versions in 2014, which coincides with the 30th anniversary of the movie.

In the past Gustavo van Peteghem of Andrea Leone Films (gvp@andrealeonefilms.it) has been quite open and responsive to emails and possibly some-one on the other forums may try to find out the latest news and something definite from him.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: July 30, 2013, 09:14:19 PM »

Interesting... keep us posted please!

chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #606 on: September 15, 2013, 03:43:25 AM »

Some interesting screencaps at caps-a-holic.  Selectable comparisons between the original DVD, WB's 229 min Blu-ray and the new extended Blu-ray.

For example, the fancy restaurant.  One of the scenes I thought looked particularly bad on a large screen TV.  Moving the mouse over the lower image reveals the defects of the new version and the additional detail.

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/...multi_comparison...

« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 03:44:32 AM by chris » Logged
chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #607 on: October 08, 2013, 02:41:23 AM »

There is an 83 page thread on the new version at AVMagazine's Italian forum.  One member has recently been in contact with one of Sergio Leone's daughters on Twitter regarding the box set of both versions of the movie which Andrea Leone Films had hoped to bring out in the near future.  She confirms that so far a date has not been scheduled for this.

There is some speculation that the set may be just a repackaging of the existing 2 Blu-rays with no significant improvement in quality.  Gustavo van Peteghem from Andrea Leone Films wrote in a previous email that they have noted the comments regarding quality and they would take appropriate action consistent wth the logic of distribution and the market with regard to timing.

The latest development is a recent exchange of emails between Andrea Leone and the AVMagazine member.  Andrea blames the disaster on Warner who have the home video rights for the movie.  Andrea says he has not seen the Blu-ray but he will view it (make good?) and see what's wrong.  The AVMagazine member claims he has seen the new version in theaters and whilst it had a yellowish tinge he thought it suited the movie.  He seems more interested in the compression problems rather than the colors, milky blacks and lack of contrast.

A Google translated extract from his post:

Guys, I have some important updates.
I had an exchange of e-mails with Andrea Leone (the e-mail I got from the official website of Andrea Leone Films, maybe write them, too), and he told me that the responsibility for this disaster is exclusively for Warner, because it has the home video rights of the film. He added that there is a tug of war for years with Warner that rages on the film (in this part we knew), but, I was stunned, said he had not yet seen the blu-ray ( possible? Oo). He said he will make good and will see what's wrong. Meanwhile, I explained to him that the problem is that the whole movie has been poured on a single disc causing compression problems evident.
I do not know, I am a bit 'without words, among other things in my first e-mail I was a little' hard and felt offended, but my intent was not to offend, simply to express my outrage at the treatment of all 'work. Maybe you also send an e-mail, in a calm and noting that we have so many fans to "suffer" for this disaster Warner. The more we are, the better! I also re-write the Warner tomorrow.

Original: http://www.avmagazine.it/forum/70-blu-ray-disc-e-altri-media-hd/184918-bd-c-era-una-volta-in-america/page83

Google translation:

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate....c-era-una-volta-in-america%2Fpage83

« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 07:47:07 AM by chris » Logged
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #608 on: October 08, 2013, 05:37:36 AM »

That's right, Andrea, blame Warner. And don't even bother to watch the Blu-ray. Remember, the goal is to get as much of D&D's money as possible. The best way to do that is to issue several sub-standard discs, in succession, each one incrementally improved over the last. By the time you finally release the Ultimate Enhanced I'm Not Kidding This Time Super Director's Cut edition, you'll have your villa completely paid for.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #609 on: October 11, 2013, 02:45:20 AM »

I think it was Andrea Leone's main intention to fully restore the movie and the additional scenes, re-create the 270 minute version originally made by his father and make it available to the Italian public in theaters.  Raffaella has said previously that she did not think her father's 229 minute version should be altered and preferred the additional scenes to be shown separately.

There seems to be a good deal of buck passing and naivety at Andrea Leone Films.  Gustavo van Peteghem claims he saw the new Blu-ray when it was first produced and thought it was excellent.  He was surprised at the number of complaints he received and said that they had taken advice from people directly connected with the movie in the 1980s.  He admitted that they knew very little about some of the technical aspects but had been assured by others that fitting a 250 minute movie onto one disc would not cause any problems .

There must be a conflict of interest at Warner Bros.  If they had produced an excellent product on 2 discs, sales of their 229 minute version in Europe would have more or less ceased overnight.  They do not seem to respond to emails but they would probably counter any criticism by saying that they were simply following their client's instructions.

Andrea Leone has promised to look at the new Blu-ray so hopefully we may get a better version at some time in the future.  Many people including Martin Scorcese, The Film Foundation and Gucci have invested large amounts of time and money into this project and it would be a great shame and waste if all this was not fully realised and made available to fans of the movie worldwide.  

« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 02:48:21 AM by chris » Logged
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: October 11, 2013, 06:48:43 AM »

if the new scenes look as they do in the YouTube clips I have seen – ie. vastly inferior image quality to the rest of the movie – I don't see how anyone could have possibly be happy with that. It's not a question of absolute image quality; it's a question of relative quality – it'll simply be an awful viewing experience if the new scenes look clearly different than the rest of the movie. It'd be extremely jarring for the viewer, and there is no way anyone could ever seamlessly consider the 250-minute movie if some of the scenes look different than the others. (Some people have speculated that maybe that's why the new blu-ray's image quality is supposedly so bad across the entire movie - ie. that the image quality was specifically made worse on the rest of the movie so that it shouldn't be so jarring that the new scenes are of such bad quality. In that case, there is really no good option: Fans won't accept a movie in which some scenes are of vastly inferior quality to the rest of the movie; and on the other hand, if you reduce the quality of the rest of the scenes to make them look as bad as the new scenes, fans are not gonna accept that either, because they know that the original 229 minutes are available in very good quality.

You can debate all you want on how you to distribute the blame, but IMO it simply comes down to this: Is there available technology that would restore the new scenes so that they look (almost) as good as the rest of the movie? Until the new scenes can look as good as the rest of the movie, there are really no good options. And if those new scenes are truly beyond repair (with the current technology), that's very sad. One can only hope that the technology will come along that can properly restore it, and that all options will be exhausted and all necessary resources will be expended to do so.

RE: dj's comment above about releasing poor products to try to squeeze money out of the consumer:

It's true that in general, companies often release inferior products, and then release better and better products slowly to try to get as much money as possible out of the consumer. But I'd highly doubt that Andrea Leone is doing that intentionally with OUATIA. I think this movie is important to the Leones for family/sentimental/artistic reasons, to complete the vision of their father, to have their father's final masterpiece finally released as he intended, and not just to make a buck. Besides, I don't know how the financial stuff works, but with all the money spent by The Film Foundation and Gucci on this, how much money does the Leone family stand to make anyway? And I don't think there is any way in hell that after all the effort and money expended by Gucci, Film Foundation, Scorsese, et al., that they would ever stand for a poor product being intentionally released by the Leone family. You can call me naive, but I truly believe that the people involved in the restoration of OUATIA have the right intentions.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: October 11, 2013, 09:48:29 AM »

I think this movie is important to the Leones for family/sentimental/artistic reasons, to complete the vision of their father, to have their father's final masterpiece finally released as he intended, and not just to make a buck.
When I look up the word naïf in the dictionary, guess whose picture I find?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #612 on: October 12, 2013, 08:16:33 AM »

Whose picture matches up with curmudgeon?

Saturday nights with Groggy
chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #613 on: November 10, 2013, 06:11:10 AM »

There are now 92 pages of posts on the thread about the new extended version at avmagazine.it .  One of its members posted a couple of hours ago:

"Raffaella Leone wrote to me telling me that the decision to put everything on one BD was made by WB and the Leones are working on a better BD version (a box set that will contain the extended version, cinematography and lots of extras). It will be ready in 2014 (30 years after the release of the movie).

Raffaella Leone also told me that they will verify the matter of color Smiley  I hope! "

If this is true (I have no reason to believe it's not true) it's great news.   Afro

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #614 on: November 10, 2013, 07:06:42 AM »

Afro Afro Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM